Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (NormK), 293 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Novice
Hey Guys,

I've been practicing applying hammertone paint from a spray can (White Knight) and I am having mixed results. I am able to get a nice consistent hammered look, however the paint is actually smooth. Is this normal for spray can hammertone paint?

I have tried a few different techniques, I start with a mist coat followed by multiple passes of even coats to build up the paint and get the hammered effect. I find that the heavier coats resulted in more of a hammered look, however both were smooth.

Should I be doing 1 mist coat followed by 1 heavy coat? then let it dry before next coat?

I'd appreciate some help.
Cheers.

Membership information
Former Moderator
I guess a heavy coat is always subjected to getting runs. There's a fine line between a good coat and a coat full of paint runs.

Yes a mist coat (dust coat as it's normally referred to)and then a medium flow coat, then let it go off for about 15 minutes and follow up with another decent final coat.

A lot of spray cans are full of nothing more than a bit of colour and a majority of thinners to make it go off quicker, thus the coat is far smoother due to a lack of paint solids that give you the build up, thus why I use a gun and mix my own.

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Novice
Thanks BB,

A bit off topic, but what spray gun do you recommend? I don't own an air compressor, so I'd have to buy an air compressor unless I go for an airless gun.

Novice
Hey BB,

I tried your technique and it produced the best results yet! Here is a pic.
[Linked Image]

It looks more hammered than it feels. I'll have to wait and see if it has flattened out by the morning.

I'm going to try a few more tests so I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
GT

Former Moderator
That looks absolutely fabulous, It's not really meant to be a rough finish, just looks like it to optically cover up the imperfections in the steel underneath, that's why it was always used on machinery with castings involved.

As far as gun choice is concerned I've always used "Iwata" brand spray guns. The W-71 is my favourite weapon of choice as it's small with a 500ml pot.

I still haven't migrated to gravity feed guns as yet.

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Novice
After a few more test runs, I sprayed my mower deck on the weekend. I couldn't start as early as planned so it was a bit warmer than I would have liked, and I think that affected the hammer finish. It came out OK, but not as good as the sample above.

What I have realised is:
The hammered effect is easier to get right in the cooler temps.
You have to mist over the same section a few times for the effect to develop. I found that a circular motion worked well.
The White Knight paint is good, however spray cans don't have a wide enough spray pattern to get a consistent effect on a large surface.

I actually did one coat that must have been too light as it didn't result in any hammered pattern. It was just metallic. Then I bumped the wet paint with the bottom of the can, I got the shits so I sprayed that spot to level it out, and miraculously it produces a nice hammered effect.

So, off to Bunnings for another can. It took another full another can to cover the whole body, it looked OK, so I left it in the sun to bake. Later that night I noticed that some areas had a bit of overspray, it was rough to touch and a bit dull. So I gave it a quick polish and it seems to have cleaned it up.

My main concern is that I've probably laid down too much paint and it's not going to cure to a hard finish.

I'm restoring this mower for regular use, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Next time I'll probably send it to the powder coaters! Does anyone know the rough costs for powder coating?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Former Moderator
Hi GT, or should I say [Censored] Johnson ?

Honestly that's a better result than any mower manufacturer will come up with.

As far as Powder Coating is concerned it's the worst thing for mowers as once the surface is compromised (chipped, cracked or scratched) the moisture will creep in underneath and we all know what the result of that will be.

Powder Coating is Hygroscopic.

Cheers,
BB.

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019