Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (NormK), 309 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#77012 07/08/16 11:25 PM
sparker Offline OP
Qualified Senior
I sold this mower yesterday. I thought it was in excellent condition. I started it for the chap (started first pull)and demonstrated its power for him. He went away very happy but called me that afternoon saying the mower exploded and a part just missed his leg. He brought it back today and I gave him a refund,lol. Check out the blast area. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Membership information
Forum Historian
Hello Sparker

Well, you acted in good faith and the buyer got his money back.

It will be interesting to hear from the experts as to the cause.
There appears to be no loss-of-lube signs on the journal.

There are two breaks. Which occurred first and why?

------------------
Jack

Qualified Senior
Is that the Tecumseh engine ? I had one do exactly the same except the broken part didn't fly through the crankcase. Yes plenty of oil present, bad batch of rods perhaps.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Paul, con rods get tired and there is no history on how these motors have been treated in the past. Some years ago I was putting an Enfield motor together for a friend and I said to him, "this con rod has done 120,000ks I think we should replace it as this is its 5th rebuild" His reply was "because it has done 120,000ks I think this rod is a good one" 5,000ks later the motor threw the rod out through the side of the case

Qualified Senior
Very true Norm, when you consider how many units are produced the number of failures is probably extremely low.

sparker Offline OP
Qualified Senior
No. It's a chonda.It was the conrod that broke. Maybe we should start a collection of these photos.

Last edited by sparker; 08/08/16 07:52 PM.
Qualified Junior
Unfortunately I have seen a fair few of V40 Victa�s with these problems. Unless they are in exceptionally good condition with very little use I won�t pick them up from the local recycle yard. The Sanli mowers also fall into this boat unless they are close to brand new.

I have however found the Rover Chonda�s and the Pope Chonda�s to be quite reliable. They also come on more robust bases.

Last summer I had 2 Chonda�s poke legs out the block which frustrated me considerably as they didn�t have rod knocks and all run considerably well after being serviced. Everything on these engines was set to GXV140 specifications.

Key items to check on these chondas before refurbishment

1) Make sure they have not been over-revving. Easy checked via the linkages.
2) Check condition of the bottom seal (they seem to chew out easily and loose oil quickly)
3) Make sure the oil has no metal flakes � sign of engine damage (excessive wear).
4) Make sure the oil is full before you take on the refurbishment. These engines don�t seem to tolerate low oil levels unlike the trusty old Briggs engines.
5) Check the blade boss � I have found quite a few with cracks.
6) Check compression

I�d be curious how others assess chonda�s to minimize the chance of this type of issue. For me if the mower passes these initial tests I�ll get to work on them otherwise they are parts only.

This problem has never happened to me with a Briggs, Tecumseh or Genuine Honda Engine before!

Cheers

Jaffa

Apprentice level 2
first thing we would ask customer if we sold a good serviced mower to and and it blew up is do you have a steep block
four stroke no good conrod have no oil even if if it full of oil
people don't now this cry

Originally Posted by Jaffa J
These engines don�t seem to tolerate low oil levels unlike the trusty old Briggs engines.

This problem has never happened to me with a Briggs, Tecumseh or Genuine Honda Engine before!
There does seem to be one fairly common exception to this - the Briggs Sprint/Classic 35 and 375 series won't tolerate low oil levels, and will then 'put a leg out of bed'.

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
sparker Offline OP
Qualified Senior
I think this one WAS over-revving at full throttle. I was interested in your comment about how you can check this from the linkages. I come across a few of these at the recycle centre and I've always been attracted to them because people still think Victa is a quality brand and it makes them easier to sell and also because they're easy starting. What's the best way to check for this over-revving problem?

Qualified Junior
Gadge I should have been a little clearer with my comments.

To clarify � I was confirming I had never had an engine blowout happen on a mower which I had serviced/ refurbished that was either a Briggs, Tecumseh or Honda etc. My comments were more in relation to my experience with second hand mowers and wasn�t meant to be a generalization about all engines.

Apologies if it came across the wrong way.

Yes I have seen a fair amount of Briggs engines with holes in the block so your comments are more than valid. I was just referring to getting mowers returned due to catastrophic failure like sparkers. Over the last few years I have only had 2 Chonda�s returned and that�s what I find interesting. No other genuine brands have had this problem from my experience with the exception of course when people run them out of oil.

I am very careful about what mowers people buy to ensure they are well suited to their proposed use. I will only sell 2 strokes to people with steep/ uneven blocks to avoid the issues raised by freebird. By following this principle I rarely get if any complaints!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Jaffa so what does the future hold for people with steep blocks, is there anybody still making a 2 stroke mower?

Well Norm, they will have to go for recoed 2-strokes, when production of the PowerTorque engine ceases soonish.

Victa doesn't even assemble them - it's outsourced to Century Engineering in Adelaide. Century were quoted back in January, as saying that the number employed on that production line was down from 30 or so to 3...

For the moment, Victa list one domestic, and four commercial 2-stroke models.

Cheers,
Gadge

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Qualified Junior
Norm, I am not sure what the future holds.

Surprising I still sell a lot of Power Torques and the occasional Victa Full Crank.

I am also a fan of the Suzuki 2 Strokes however they don't appear to much in the ACT.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I have a pile of Victa 2 stroke motors stacked in a corner, I was only keeping them because sometimes I might need to scavenge a part, maybe I will give them a bit more respect now

sparker Offline OP
Qualified Senior
I get a lot of "I don't want to be mixing fuel" when I show people a 2 stroke mower. My own mower is an old Victa 2 stroke that I've had for about 20 years or more. The silly thing is they still have to mix fuel for their trimmer. Normally, I find Victa 2 strokes are easily fixed if you have the parts but they can be very cantankerous if things are not exactly right especially with air leaks.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sparker, I assume the days of service stations selling premixed 2 stroke fuel is long gone, I haven't looked for years. I think BP used to sell BP zoom, they would fill your container from a 44 gal drum of it. Probably low demand and OH&S killed that off. I worked in a service station as a kid and we always had people bringing in their mower can for 2 stroke fuel, we just mixed it for them as it was a Mobil servo and I don't think premix was around then. We had 1/2 pint,1 pint and 1 quart oil bottles back then,all stacked up on nice display racks, remember those

I'd say it was probably declining demand that killed off BP Zoom. A bit like kero - nearly every servo had a drum of that at one time, and the fuel depots would have a dedicated kero pump. Try to find bulk lighting kero now...

Mower shops used to sell BP Zoom 25 too, back in the day. We used to top up the drum according to dipstick readings - the aluminium dipstick was marked with the volumes of Zoom Concentrate and Regular petrol to add. It wasn't delivered ready-mixed, at least in country areas.

There was also a Zoom 50 [50:1 mix] for outboard engines, sold at BP servos and marinas. That version was still available up to the early '00s.

Curiously, pre-packed 2-stroke fuel mix is readily available in other countries - the US [e.g. Trufuel] and UK [e.g. Aspen, Stihl], for instance. In the US, the major hardware chains like Ace Hardware, Lowes, Walmart stock it. It's pretty exy though - US$5-8 for a US Quart tin.

The driver there seems to be, that it's difficult to get ethanol-free fuel from the pump, in many localities. And these canned premixes are based on 'alkylate petrol', which has much longer shelf life than current pump petrols - it's more like Avgas.

Cheers,
Gadge

sparker Offline OP
Qualified Senior
You guys must be as old as I am.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sparker, back in those days when I worked at the servo that is what it was, a service station, we washed the windscreen, checked the tyres,checked the oil and the peace de resistance was we also pumped your fuel, took the money and returned the change to you and you didn't have to get out of your car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545