Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2,858 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 17/09/26 10:08 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 988
Likes: 7
Qualified Senior
This is a Response topic for these photos:
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=68029

I love these photos, when you chose a mower like you choose a new car. So many Villiers 7f engines, Rover used the Villiers then shifted to Briggs and Stratton. The engine boards are interesting, shoppers couldn't care less what's inside a mower engine now only what's on the price tag.

Looking at all the photos I see a lot of Victa advertising but the actual mowers are very thin on the ground and not prominent in the displays. In the 1962 photo I think there is one Victa tucked in sideways at the back. I have heard a lot about Victa dominating the market but these photos don't reflect this. Is this due to the actual mowers being in short supply due to purchaser demand ?

Portal Box 6
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,938
Likes: 322
Forum Historian
Hi Paul

Yeah, I love them too. They are time capsule stuff.
I guess Victa wins either way. With the 'secret' takeover of Pace in 1959,
a dealer stocking Pace or Victa branded mowers would lead, ultimately, to
the same bank account.

For me, the 1962 photograph is so revealing: the impact of the 4-stroke is obvious,
with VK30 and VK40 engines on the Pace and Scott Bonnar machines, and the emergence of
Briggs engines on other products.

Here I note Victa's claim that in 1963-64 ��there was a violent swing to four-strokes
in the early sixties. At their peak in 1963/64, four strokes accounted for 68% of all
motor mower sales.�
see https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=66878

I was also surprised to see the Rover Slasher and, I think, their tiller.
If the date is accurate - 1962 - then that is also amazing. And Briggs engines!

On the stand in the background there is, I think, a Villiers Lightweight 4-stroke
on a Pace (?).

I can pick out the Pope fuel can, and the Pope, Pace, and Scott Bonnar side catchers.
And look at that original football-shaped Rover logo! What a gem!

[Linked Image]



Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 988
Likes: 7
Qualified Senior
Hi Jack,

Thanks again for your picture topic. Some interesting parts up on the back wall, wheels, starters etc. On one of the signs it mentions Wasp as a brand name ? Any info on them Jack as I have not heard of that maker. I understand that Victa still profit from the Pace mowers but it nearly a complete absence of the Victa mowers.

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,938
Likes: 322
Forum Historian
Hi Paul

I appreciate (and welcome) the point you make on the near-absence of Victa on the stand(s).
You are the first to raise that. I believe that the 1960s was not about Victa's dominance at all.
Victa shared the market amongst about half-a-dozen players. It was the leader, I guess, in sales,
but not overwhelmingly so.

Wasp: It is incredible you saw that!
The 'Wasp' is one source of great frustration for me!

This is what I know:-

A 1959 Villiers newsprint advert list the Lawn Wasp as a Villiers client.

[Linked Image]

A 1960 newsprint advert I have records this lawnmower:-

[Linked Image]

A 1963-64 Trade-in Guide also lists the 'Wasp'.

[Linked Image]

The British company Webb mad a mower model named 'Wasp'.
This is of no relevance here.

Perhaps Wasp (and Hornet) were brands linked to Amplion, or ?.
They were, I think, entry-level store brands. I can only speculate...

It remains a mystery to me.

------------------------------
JACK



Moderated by  Alan M, CyberJack, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Marcus Invictus, David Hurley, Benny84, Bauma, Merro27
18,136 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,808
Members18,136
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1