Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Administrator - Master Technician
Hi to CyberJack, Chris125, Bluegmhtmonaro and ODK members,
Looking at the second pic in Post #60332 in Chris's thread, at the carby and air filter, (Just behind the yellow circle) this may be the answer as to what carby and filter was fitted.....
[Linked Image]
Here is a pic of the carby (less the air filter) that I believe would have been fitted....
[Linked Image]
cheers

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Membership information
HT6 Offline
De-registered
I reakon the odds are good you found teeth with your lot mate! Lols.

Dont ask me, you and the chickens are the Authority on Pope now, ha ha.

I agree with Jack and Deejay on the integrated filter/carb assy.

Ive seen the other examples with your current snorkel/filter style and they look generic, BUT not entirely out of the equation yet,so perhaps not by coincidence. But Id doubt youd find Victa Rotomo brackets as factory fitment on Pope.

Another thing to note though is how good the Snorkel flows and fits in relation to the mower....It seems a really good fit and suits, just like on the other examples with your current set up..

In regards to the Throttle, its definately Victa (sheerline era) and I doubt Pope would have used this,as their Parts for these Models are Unique, BUT I wont discount it until I see a proven accurate Image...Incidentally this control is seen on many models, but Im sure it was because this was the most common controller used as a generic replacement on many mowers in this era. I have about 20...

Keep looking for evidence, We may have one sitting in our stashes...just need to see a close up original.
We can be the throttle Hunters"now as i still dont have one for the 35...because only you know who has one!!! Lmao

In anycase....Who cares for now as its Sooooooo Shiny, people will never know! Lols

HT6 Offline
De-registered
Here ya go Mate...Problem solved! You can use both filters..lols.

[Linked Image]

Try and find this catcher...Its right next to your collection of hens teeth, lols

Unfortunately you still cant see the throttle control but it does show you its correct position and cable run...

Also this ad appears to show your model(RH Carby) and further confirmation of the Carby/filter setup...

Another odd thing is, the only other snorkels and filter screen images ive seen like yours are on Popes....Very strange.

[Linked Image]

HT6 #60727 30/12/14 08:21 PM
Qualified Junior
Thanks guys I know what I'm looking for now ,I don't like my chances of ever finding a catcher didn't think they even had one but will keep my eye out you never know smile

[The History Record for this machine now has a section on the 320 catcher - ed.]

Last edited by CyberJack; 02/04/15 02:06 AM. Reason: Updated info.
Forum Historian
Hi all contributors here

I have incorporated some photos into the ODK record for the 320 model HERE.

I have now made available a full parts list for the early Popes HERE.

The photo that Chris supplied of the other machine that Administrator Deejay reposted does
show what I think should be fitted to Chris' machine.

Blue's first photo (above) shows the arrangement used for the models 320-02 to 320-04.
Pope made some dramatic and expensive changes for the 320-05. It changed the intake manifold
from the left-hand side to the right-hand side. Why?

Because the original engine introduced on the odd-looking 320-01 was built that way and did
not have a snorkel. It had the single vertical bar handle.

So ... why all the expense? My guess is that the change was needed because Pope wanted to use
recoil starters. The first Pope rotary had a lanyard start. Given that most folks are right-
handed, I believe Pope engineers wanted carby controls moved to the R.H. side - so users would not
have to move from L.H. side carby priming to R.H. side starting. They would have also known that
the 4-strokes used that logic. The hole in the base (below the carby) is the legacy exhaust hole
used on machines with mufflers on that side.

There is one interesting twist to this story. Some Pope carburettors was also fitted with
the Clinton 4-stroke air-cleaner on some models! (see parts lists).

In any case, what I have said is largely academic. My belief that the second style handle (fitted to Chris')
looks fine with a snorkel, even if that handle was not designed to take one.

This has been a personally rewarding posting to follow; to see how Chris started with an
old Pope, and turned it into a first-class restoration.

All one for the record.
-----------------------------------
JACK.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CyberJack; 02/01/15 06:12 AM. Reason: Added illustration.
Forum Historian
[Linked Image]

A History Record is now available for this lawnmower.
View the Model 320 record HERE.

The rest is history.
--------------------------------
JACK.

HT6 Offline
De-registered
There is a 320 02-4 on Ebay currently...With catcher! Images may be useful.

HT6 #63213 03/04/15 05:48 AM
Qualified Junior
Thanks Mal smile 1st pics I've ever seen of the catcher, What a bugger it's in Vic If that mower was in QLD Id buy it in a sec.... That 320 looks to have all I need to finish mine close to how it was from the factory..
I have pulled mine back out of the shed,there was a few little things I needed to do before I could fire it up but its all done and ready to start will make a video of 1st start up over this long weekend can't wait to hear it run again aussie.....

Last edited by chris125; 03/04/15 05:56 AM.
Forum Historian
Hello Chris and HT6

Chris, these catchers do come up for sale occasionally.
In the History Forum I have recently included a brochure for the catcher.
Also, a couple of photos of a tram with a huge billboard advertising this catcher.
By 1960, if a mower maker couldn't offer a side catcher mower, they were history.

Cheers
---------------------------
JACK.

Qualified Junior
G'day guys I finally got around to firing up the old Pope, Made sure the carby was clean (there is a spring for the slide its not in the pic) runs good lots of power.. Here is a vid [Linked Image]

[video]
[/video]

Last edited by chris125; 20/04/15 05:41 AM.
Qualified Junior
And here is a vid of it mowing I like it!, oh yeah don't mind my DIY airbox it was raining grin
[video]
[/video]

Last edited by chris125; 20/04/15 05:43 AM.
HT6 Offline
De-registered
Awwww...Its all Dirty lols.

Awesome!

For some reason I always thought it ran an Amal carby. The Carby pictured is actually an ESS Unit. It appears to be a Modified/enhanced design adjustable jet 3F Victa Carby. I have one adjustable Victa version from a Tiger industrial. Is this the correct unit for your Pope Mate?

Interesting in the fact, ive never seen another ESS branded carb on anything other than a Victa smile

The early rotary valve Popes all ran Aussie-made carbies, as far as I know. Ours did, at any rate.

I'd say you're correct in picking it as an ESS; these would have only been fitted to 1950's-on Aussie-made engines, I'd expect. Our tariff barriers again!

It's an interesting question; apart from Victa and Pope, who else was manufacturing [not assembling, like Kirby] complete small engines in that era?

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Novice
Originally Posted by chris125
Thanks Blue this old Pope has grown on me.. I wasn't sure if I liked the styling but I'm liking it more now it's looking kind of as it did way back when and from my working out I think this is what I'd call the 3rd generation Pope mower??. I will be keeping my eye out for anything Pope from now on....Few pics I'm getting there one pic is under the fuel tank and the original orange paint, also there is a lot to be said for remote air filters the piston and bore are in great shape even though the so called filter is just some mesh! lol....Cheers aussie [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hi I am doing up one of these at the moment can you tell me what colour paint you used and where did you get it from also the paint code.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545