Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by Jeffery - 30/05/24 05:19 AM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Forum Historian
Hello ODK members,

Context
When I started researching vintage Australian mowers I shared the myth that many Australians
hold - that Mervyn Victor Richardson's Victa was the first Australian rotary mower.

It was only after a number of years that a serious anomaly questioning the myth gradually
took form. There was overwhelming evidence of the role that electric rotaries played in the
four years prior to the Victa release in September of 1952.

The machine I discovered to be Australia's first rotary mower was the little 10 inch Tecnico
released in mid-late 1948. The frustration was that I had no name or face behind this large Australian
company that could be deemed the 'inventor'. This all changed with the 2012 re-release of a 1951 film
that explained many things, and I had a name and a face - Cyril Thomas.

Cyril Thomas
We know pretty much nothing about Mr Cyril Thomas. He's not in the history books.
In fact, he seems all but forgotten everywhere. The film tells us he lived in the Sydney
suburb of Mortdale, and that with a 'glass of beer inspiration' the AUS rotary was born.

The film says he worked as a Machine Shop Superintendent and showed his plans to Senior Executives.
Note the framed picture of an aircraft in their office - this was Tecnico.

Here is that film:-

[video]
[/video]

Note on this film
The NTFS (National Film & Sound Archive) released this film for public viewing in 2012.
Made by the Australian Government National Film Board in 1951, this important film provides new and
cogent evidence identifying our first rotary mower.

Note on this research
I first posted this research as Victa: An Inconvenient Truth, January 16, 2013 on vintagemowers.net

Last edited by CyberJack; 23/12/13 11:18 AM.
Membership information
Forum Historian
ENDURING MYTHS

In this post I would like to correct and explore the enduring myth about Victa.
However, at no stage do I intend to undermine Victa's earned status as an Australian icon.

It is a complimentary video to the one above I want to show you now.
Presented by Ray Martin, Our Century (1999), presents Clever Australian Inventions.
The Victa Story comes early, but the whole video is worth a look.
There are great close-ups of the Peach Tin and more . . .

[video]
[/video]

In this video there is a challenge to the first video that you saw in the first post.
The inconvenient truth is that I disagree with 'the Victa story' as presented by Ray.
It does present the 'accepted view' though. I think the history books are wrong.

Let me take the issues head-on by making a few points:

First, Ray says that what Mervyn Richardson did was, "improve the existing design of an engineering
friend [Lawrence Hall]. Merv's genius was that he also knew how to sell it."

I think the last statement is very true: Merv was a marketing genius!
The first statement, however, that Merv took the existing design from Hall is tenuous, or just wrong.
If the statement means that Merv could turn a horizontal shaft petrol engine on its side to produce
a vertical shaft petrol engine then point taken. But what else did he take?

He didn't take the rotary design from Hall. Sydney folk, as the rest of Australia had, had been accustomed
to rotary action mowers for years in the form of domestic rotary electric mowers and, to a lesser extent,
Tractor drawn and petrol powered rotary agricultural mowers [Hayter].

He didn't take the idea that mowers needed to be lightweight from Hall. Hall's mower was ridiculously heavy.
The story is that two people were required to use it! The idea that rotaries should be cheaper and light was
already being demonstrated by the electric rotaries.

The credit must go to the first electric rotary manufacturers. The penny dropped for Merv. After two years (or more)
of trying to sell his 14" reel mower, Mervyn Richardson finally saw that there was no future in the
reel mower, given the competition and Australia's grass conditions. He realised that a petrol powered rotary
could turn grass into lawn for most applications of grass cutting. Reel mowers should be for 'fine lawns'.

He turned one of his horizontal shaft Villiers engines on its side, made a few mods., sat it on a primitive
steel frame with billy cart wheels and BINGO! The Victa was born [Hallelujah chorus now].
It's what he did next - the vision - the marketing - that made Victa an icon. That's my point.

Correcting History:
My second point is the one I am emphatic about. This is where history is wrong.
Ray says, "Cyril Thomas thought that he had the answer," ... "But it never took off."

Well, it did Ray! Research clearly shows that electrically powered rotaries were BIG business
in the four years - 1948-1952 - leading up to the Victa petrol rotary in late '52.
but prior to this iconic event, electric rotaries had sold in their tens of thousands and in all
States of Australia.

Established Network:
Electric rotaries sold very well. One reason is that the manufacturers had established dealer and
distribution networks. Many were radio manufacturers: Tecnico, Tasma, Mercury, Breville ...
We had Grasshopper and the flying saucer British Ladybird.

Australians embraced this new electrical appliance on-mass, as they had embraced vacuum cleaners and
floor polishers and electric shavers, and a myriad of other electric appliances.

Merv's secret ingredients were: take the electric mowers' rotary action, lightweight frame
and lower cost, add Lawrence Halls vertical shaft petrol engine and disc plough base, and have
width of cut and add more than a dollop of MARKETING. The Victa Rotomo was born to an adoring public.

As a light-hearted conclusion I note that Ray said, "Had history been different we might be
turning grass into lawn with a Cyril". No Ray, following your logic, we'd still be turning grass into
lawn with a Mervyn!

Last edited by CyberJack; 22/12/13 02:22 PM.

Moderated by  Alan M, CyberJack, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,652
Members16,804
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019