Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Litl Phil), 295 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#44872 02/04/13 02:57 PM
Gizmo Offline OP
Qualified Senior
hello again. i have once again a puzzler. at least a puzzle for me anyway. i have taken an interest in the vc mustang range of victas 70S era. i try and try to find info on these mowers but you cant find too much about them.
someone of you may know their history?.ive inserted 4 pics of from what i can tell are different year models. does someone with the know which is which from these.
once again cheers bazz.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If my collection is complete ( then how come i keep buying stuff ? ) 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Membership information
Master Technician
Well yes there are a few different models of the VC-Mustang.The VC-Mustang was the replacement model from the VC-160 series.The first model was:VC-Mustang Mark I 1974-74 160cc G3 carby.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
VC-Mustang Mark IV 1977-78 G4 Carby.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Unfortunately I don't have a Mark II or III at this point.There wasn't a real lot of different's between the four.
There is a few other variations of these models.I also have a Red VC-Mustang (which I don't have any pictures of at this stage).Which I might add does have the red VC-Mustang label.
I'm not too sure what the picture of the red label on the green cowl is.I'm just wondering if that is the picture of the one Ty had.As somebody had changed the cowl and swapped stickers over.
The two with just Mustang on the label are the series 80's.Which yes was made in the 1980's.I know this as they were my mowers.They were basically the new era so the VC was dumbed out of the name.There was also some imported models which we have recently found,but I won't go into that now it just gets more confusing,and we can't work out exactly what the true story is,except they were the export models.If I get a chance I will take some pictures of the red one and maybe I could have the Mark II or III as I have a couple which are not complete right now.Hope this helps.

Here for a good time,not a long time.
Gizmo Offline OP
Qualified Senior
wow . truly awesome info.thanks a bunch Blumbly. i have definately now got the mower bug i am afraid.i just love the look of that mustang cowling. its taken me a while to grow accustomed to the more modern mowers . but i think its going to be a good project too.may the search begin. he he laugh

Master Technician
I didn't get a chance to get my red one out.I'll see if I can this afternoon when I get home. I should try and get it running. I think I do have a mark III as well ill check that as well and put some photos up when I do.

Master Technician
OK after doing some research over the weekend I can only find four different variations of the VC-Mustang.
1973-74 V135 G3 carby (with remote fuel tap) that comes in two colour. Green and Red.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Red version
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1976-78 V207 G4 carby (This one has a remote primer) not all had that.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1976-78 V207 VC-Mustang S
These are the only pictures I could find.(Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one myself)Bugger.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
After these I believe the VC was dropped from the name and they were just known as a Mustang.Like this one below.
[Linked Image]
Sorry about the picture I don't have this together at the moment.
If anybody knows of any different variations of the VC-Mustang please post it up with the year and a picture as I'm curious to know if there is any other variations.Especially between the years of 1974 to 1976 as there is a cap there.

Gizmo Offline OP
Qualified Senior
awesome stuff Blumbly rockon

Master Technician
Sure not a problem if I can find out more info on them I will start a new post so it can be archived.

Gizmo Offline OP
Qualified Senior
yay i got one of these babies for 15 bucks.Bargain... it has the wrong catcher! so will it ever end? methinks not. crazy

Master Technician
Which one did you get?

Gizmo Offline OP
Qualified Senior
like this one
[Linked Image]

Apprentice level 2
[Linked Image]
Found this one on the tip a while back!! grin Still goes yay Base missing most of the other side and cowl is sad frown

Gizmo Offline OP
Qualified Senior
wow .and still another colour.

Gizmo Offline OP
Qualified Senior
and i finally got one. think its the wrong catcher though. [Linked Image]

Master Technician
Yes that surely is the wrong catcher.

Apprentice level 2
I have a question about the carby on the later model VC Mustang. The carby cap looks just like a normal G4 but doesn't have a primer bulb. (just a tiny opening that I can't even see a tube being able to connect to.)

How does it prime?
Will a later model cap with a primer work on these?

Thanks. [Linked Image]

Qualified Junior
hey !
you can convert these to the later primer cap, the cap you have hasnt really got a primer it just gravity feeds

Master Technician
What you have there is 1974-1978 V206 VC-Mustang (Mark II)- G4 No Primer.They didn't have any primer at all.The carby face is facing inside toward the base,so even if it had a primer on the face of the carby you would never be able to reach it.If it is turned and running correctly it still won't be hard to start.It really doesn't need a primer.The Mark III had a remote primer,again due to the carby facing inwards.Check my post on the VC-Mustang Identifying here https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...amp;Main=8362&Number=46830#Post46830
It's in a bit more detail so you can see what the differences are.

Last edited by Blumbly; 11/08/13 04:19 PM.

Hey Blumby, you could always do the unthinkable. Turn the carby the other way, to access the primer, change the snorkel and place on the RHS, and then cut a hole in a perfectly good cowl................to feed the snorkel through.......AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

Master Technician
But I couldn't and wouldn't take something that is original and do something like that and put that much effort into it when they do start perfectly well without them.I mean it may take one extra pull on the cord to get it started.Mine starts quite easily without the primer so why change it.A lot easier to put a remote primer than what you said.Wow.Also lets face it they are starting to disappear over the scrap pile and I'd say in the next few years they themselves will be harder to find.

Here, here. Definately the way to go with older and rarer machines is to keep them as original as possible.

Master Technician
Well that is true. Also the mark II was relised at the same time as the mark III,which had the remote primer. I'm fairly sure that there was a lot more mark III's made than the mark II's. I bet at the time there was a lot fitted after that with the remote primer. So I'd keep it that way. Also as I said running right there not that hard to start. Mine even with a sad engine still starts well. About the second or third pull of the starter.

Apprentice level 2
To Tomo,Ted,Blumby,
Your advice is most valuable. I usually refer to your comments often under the cover of night but to have the "Masters" comments in the open is excellent. I agree that that to customize the ones that I get that are already in good condition for their age is pointless. (Ted, I thought about the hole but couldn't do it cry) I will go with what you have said. Especially now that I know that the carby cover is not supposed to have anything attached to it (gravity?).
ps: if you wonder if I have got the Mower bug like you then Google seedeem in photobucket.LOL.

regards and thanks again!

Master Technician
ps: if you wonder if I have got the Mower bug like you then Google seedeem in photobucket.
OK not sure if that is some kind of secret code as I did try that and found nothing.

Nice work there Christo. I'll assume you sell them, and not keep all those mowers in your collection.
As for us being "Masters" i dont think we consider ourselves as Masters, we're just a bunch of blokes who like to tinker,alot, and hang out online and share our experiences. Sometimes we seek help, sometimes we help others, but more importantly we just like to talk sh&t about stuff we enjoy doing.
Blumby, Google the words "Seedeem" and "photobucket" and it will take you to Christo's photobucket page. I think i saw a couple of Mustangs in the stable.

Master Technician
Speak for yourself there bigted I am the master. Well maybe not quite but my wealth of knowledge with them is huge. Well at least I have some wealth I guess. Thanks bigted I found his pictures and wow there is a lot. So I take it Christo that you are going to leave it as it is?

Apprentice level 2
What I like is a guy with a healthy Aussie sense of humour. So I like Brumby.
After you guys giving me advice on this one, how could I dare alter the old girl? It may surface somewhere & I will be sprung!https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/images/icons/default/laugh.gif
What I cannot understand is how upside down the world of retail mowers is. The beauties are mostly hard to sell & the rubbish is snapped up!
But not for the Masters eh? You chaps know what is really valuable. I will keep looking for gold in them there hills too.

Apprentice level 2
I just realized I spelt it wrong. But maybe Brumby goes with "Mustang" smile.

PEOPLE AREN'T INTERESTED IN QUALITY THESE DAYS, THEY LIKE SHINY THINGS. THATS WHY NEWER MOWERS SELL EASIER. PERSONALLY, YOU CANT BEAT A FULL CRANK VICTA ON AN ALLOY BASE.

Master Technician
Brumby hmm I surpose I am a bit of an animal,just ask my wife,she'll tell you. Yes I don't get it either. People want the newer ones that won't last,anyway in some way I guess that's good for us,that leaves us to collect,and collect we will. Bigted what's with all the capitals? Just be careful with that as some people find that a form of aggression. We had a guy at work leave because a driver sent him a text with capitals.

Apprentice level 2
Came across a cousin for the other Mustang.
A 1973 V135 next to a 1975 V206. Just for interest the G3 carby is pretty resilient in my opinion because the primer button enables me to flush old fuel easily. Therefore "short cutting" the service. Still went like a train. [Linked Image]

Master Technician
Does it still have the remote fuel tap? Or has it been changed to the tap on the tank? Also looks like someone has changed the sticker on the cowl to the later model mustang.

Apprentice level 2
I suppose that I can never tell, how much has been altered before I get em. This was a customers Mustang that she had in the family for a long time. Said it came from the country. I can just imagine that the beautiful cover may have been swapped? That would account for the sticker you spotted. Maybe. It does have a tap on the tank. I reckon they looked real happy together. LOL.

Master Technician
No that sticker was off a later model mustang around the 80's different cowl altogether. It was white and a different shape.

Victa 160 enthusiast
Ok, here is mine...

[Linked Image from i60.tinypic.com]

[Linked Image from i59.tinypic.com]

[Linked Image from i59.tinypic.com]

..anyone know what model it is?

smile

Cheers, Bert
Victa 160 enthusiast
Originally Posted by Blumbly
No that sticker was off a later model mustang around the 80's different cowl altogether. It was white and a different shape.

Is mine that later model?

[Linked Image from i62.tinypic.com]

[Linked Image from i61.tinypic.com]

smile

~

Cheers, Bert
Master Technician
No Bert I was refering to the Mustang sticker at the front of the cowl.
Which came off this model.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Which was a later model again.In fact it was the next model after yours.

Victa 160 enthusiast
Ah ok, because mine still has breaker points and I suppose yours is transistorised ignition...

Cheers, Bert
Master Technician
Yes the one above doesn't have points it has the electronic ignition system.

Victa 160 enthusiast
Do those breaker points ever need servicing?

Cheers, Bert
Master Technician
Oh for sure. They do wear out. I've even seen some that have worn in hole in one of the electric plates. Some mowers can still run like that. Some I've fixed have just had the cap closed. Which can happen and others the points do just wear out.

Victa 160 enthusiast
I have usually greased the cam riders with molybdenum anti-lock as it's the rider wearing down that closes the gap. A bit of moly seems to make those riders wear proof!

Cheers, Bert
Novice
I have this one:

Which could be one posted earlier in the thread?

Are any of these worth anything? Or typically just an enthusiast hobby?

Any info on this would be appreciated purely out of interest.

Cheers

Master Technician
Could just be a VC-Sports the later model with the G4 carby.The answer my friend would be in the engine number.So could you post up the engine number? I can tell you from that whether it is a VC-Sports Or a VC-Mustang S.I'm thinking it would be a VC-Sports many many more produced,but hey I could be wrong.As far as worth not much and it doesn't really matter which is which.The VC-Mustang S is rareish but that doesn't mean it's worth any more than the sports.Maybe in 10 to 15 years more that might change but right now there not worth a great deal.If you do decide you would like to re-home I could be interested as I got rid of mine in hope of finding another to replace it,that day still hasn't come.

Novice
Though it easier to just take more photo's smile Wasn't sure of the number you're refering to, but I'm pretty sure you wanted the one on the block. But here's both anyway. Too much information is better than to little.

Apologies for the photo orientations!

[Linked Image from i58.tinypic.com]

I also have the manual.

Just to let you know. It's still running. I have no need for it. I don't know a hammer from screwdriver in order to do it up like you guys have shown in photo's in this thread. I'd be proud to own a nice one like you have posted. Just no time or patience for it at this stage in my life. smile

Cheers

Novice
I'm gonna need to know if you're (or anyone) interested by tomorrow morning. It goes with a lot of other stuff to Salvo's or Revolve tomorrow.

I'm happy to offload it for no cost, as long as I'm not out of pocket for the delivery.

Master Technician
Well done I was wrong,it is in-fact a VC-Mustang S.The head I'm not too sure about as the number stamped on it is suppose to match up with the model number.However the 437 does match with the same time period VC-Mustangs so it could be.I'm just not 100% sure on it.Still trying to work out the documents I have on that,as they only started using those numbers from 1977,of which is the same year your mower was made.
So as I said before about worth even though it's not a common one (and I think that becomes the 4th one I know about) it's still not worth a great deal.I paid $25 for my one and another guy I know had his given to him,so there not worth great amounts.Some times rare doesn't mean expensive.Although I'd still like it.

Novice
Cool. I hung onto it for you.
I'll get in contact through the week and organise how to get it to you. Busy today with Father's Day.
Happy Father's day to you if you have some kids!! smile

Ok, a question for the VC mustang experts amongst us.
I know this has probably been re-engined but wanted to know what model it should be, series I or series II, The holes in the handle bar(4th pic) tell me it had a G3 on it when it was original and the bracket for the remote fuel tap is still there.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Oh, and the catcher is immaculate for it's age. I'll have a go at getting it running tomorrow.

Last edited by bigted; 10/11/15 09:03 AM. Reason: added pic
Master Technician
Well yes Bigted it does all point to the fact it could have started life off as a VC-Mustang Mark I 1973-74,with G3 carby.Not only from what you have found but it also has the black hub caps which were only found on the Mark I.I am curios as even the base looks in fantastic condition,so why on earth would the engine have been changed?It looks like it hasn't had much use at all.Your making me jealous as I could certainly give that base a home with the correct engine on it.It would have looked more like this one.
[Linked Image]
A good find you lucky bugger.

Well Jeff, i guess like anything 2 stroke, the engine change could have been a result of cooked piston, (something i believe you have been familiar with recently, lol). And like most inexperienced people it would have been the easier option rather than rebuilding it.

Apprentice level 2
I would have to agree there bigted, definately been re engined from a store brand corsair, its probably for the best though, parts are easily sourced for the G4/LM whereas G3 parts are becoming a bit thin on the ground these days.

Chances are somone ran it without oil, I am very hesitant to sell a 2 stroke to an inexprienced person these days, it quite often ends with disaster, making me look like a... and them put off buying another, in saying that though I have taught even the simplest of folk how to mix fuel recently with a good result.

A quick carby clean, new oring and kill rubber, placed throttle assenmbly on the right side and away she went.
And now for the end result, 3,2,1 tada
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Engine number for those interested. Also changed the hubcaps to better match the cowl.

Last edited by bigted; 11/11/15 06:57 AM.
Apprentice level 3
Originally Posted by Blumbly
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Which was a later model again.In fact it was the next model after yours.

Sorry to resurrect the old thread, just wondering, what colour Green is on the base of the VICTA Mustang ?

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by Widget
Sorry to resurrect the old thread, just wondering, what colour Green is on the base of the VICTA Mustang ?
You did me a favour by discovering this thread for me. I have now read it in its entirety.
I love the look of the Mustang above with the orange cowl. It cleaned up nice.
NFI what the green paint is called.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
2-stroke mower addict!
Agreed MF. This has been an excellent read and some great looking machines there!!!! I hope I can get my green contessa's cowling to glow fluoro (green) bright like that!!!! I love the orange cowling so much!!!

Fingers crossed I may be getting a deal done to get the Red 73-74 VC MUSTANG MARK 3 ORIGINAL WITH CATCHER!!! But I might not be too, the deal can fall through very easily.....

1 member likes this: Alan
Trainee
Best of luck Seanoss,

You deserve it, I would really love to have one of them too.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It's a shame Victa Mower Works didn't release a model with that base and top combo and call it something like the Victa VC Formula 1.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
1 member likes this: Alan
2-stroke mower addict!
Imagine they did the twin as a 250cc 2 125cc cylinders. Now that would be a mower to behold!!!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Not to mention for a go kart!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day Sean and Mf

Yeah I've seen a few home made Victa twins.

Attached Images
1 member likes this: Seanoss
2-stroke mower addict!
Geezus Max, the one in the display cabinet looks insane. I almost wish it was an electric cut away that you could turn on and show the workings of it! I'd probably sit there all day playing with it like I'm a little kid!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
There was a full video showing the workings of that engine and the complete running mower
on youtube but I think it's been taken down now Sean.

It was fairly basic ,2 Victa cranks welded together and an alloy adapter in between 2 Victa crank cases.

Cheers
Max.

2-stroke mower addict!
Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
It's a shame Victa Mower Works didn't release a model with that base and top combo and call it something like the Victa VC Formula 1.
Im going to do a Mustang, I'm yet to choose weather to use a mark 3 125cc or 160cc or a mark 4, but it's going to be a completely original colour cowling, catcher and base, probably hubcaps too. I have enough but im trying to decide on a retro colour but somthing that really pop's too.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Funny you should bring up custom colours Shaun sorry Sean, I was pondering last night in the garage of contemplation, why do you have to always chase the original factory colours when any colour repaint will look good and give that feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction? It can be anything you want it to be. Just see Peter Anderson's mass restorations of his Victa pets on YouTube. Beautiful art pieces using tough automotive paint and they do a service to the memory of the icons, original or no.
I have amassed a collection of paints now and I think it's about time I put down my coffee and got to painting up some spare "don't know what to do with" units and prepare to surprise myself.
I have seen an early 80s Mayfair painted light pink with reproduction decals fitted and it looked simply mad!
So time to get creative and let the heart choose for a change instead of a computer colour matching process trying to chase that elusive original shade!
Even close to original but not quite is a valid path.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Here are two colours I have. Gold like Mayfair gold but straight metallic instead of hammered finish.
The other is a very dark charcoal with a dark green metallic sheen to it under light.

Attached Images
IMG_20210711_194011_copy_564x1000.jpg (54.75 KB, 40 downloads)
IMG_20210711_194047_copy_564x1000.jpg (42.74 KB, 40 downloads)

2-stroke mower addict!
Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
Funny you should bring up custom colours Shaun sorry Sean, I was pondering last night in the garage of contemplation, why do you have to always chase the original factory colours when any colour repaint will look good and give that feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction? It can be anything you want it to be. Just see Peter Anderson's mass restorations of his Victa pets on YouTube. Beautiful art pieces using tough automotive paint and they do a service to the memory of the icons, original or no.
I have amassed a collection of paints now and I think it's about time I put down my coffee and got to painting up some spare "don't know what to do with" units and prepare to surprise myself.
I have seen an early 80s Mayfair painted light pink with reproduction decals fitted and it looked simply mad!
So time to get creative and let the heart choose for a change instead of a computer colour matching process trying to chase that elusive original shade!
Even close to original but not quite is a valid path.
That's awesome, I had that light bulb moment the other day. I have all of my Mustangs cowlings on top of each other and I know that they all have mowers and I was looking at 10 Mustang cowlings..... I thought "wow, I can just do a custom one or 2 with all I have and still have one of each from first to the last before the power torque engine came in.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Why don't you repair a damaged one like I have been doing and paint them away to your heart's content and build to original with the good stuff and sell those to help finance the hobby. Good original covers are getting valuable and it'd be a waste to paint those.

2-stroke mower addict!
I'd definitely be using my broken ones. I have 5 or 6 green Mustang cowlings that are in almost %100 condition and they will go to restoration and then sold on. I only want 3 V135, V173 and V206. I have original set-ups for these and the 2 with G4 carbs have original decks with remote primers. The others will be decided after.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545