Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Jeffery), 357 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Deejay Offline OP
Administrator - Master Technician
Yes it's quite rigid grumpy, but I don't expect anyone to sit on it....after all, it is a coffee table. I just didn't want the supports to ruin the 'look', if you know what I mean...the handle clamps have locked up exceedingly well. grin
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Membership information
Pushrod Honda preferrer
If you can put a 2 kg Christmas cake and half a dozen pints of beer on the end of the table without it deflecting or feeling springy, Deejay, it sounds like a success. It certainly looks outstanding.

Deejay Offline OP
Thanks grumpy, just the throttle cable, snorkel and air-filter to go, and its all finished...been loads of fun and a bit of learning curve as well.
Mmmm....what am going to do now???
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Pushrod Honda preferrer
That's easy Deejay, you need to make the world's first reel mower coffee table. I visualise an ATCO, for its chunky look and rigid handlebars (besides, I'm kind of an ATCO guy).

Deejay Offline OP
Hi grumpy....I think that Di would object to more than 1 mower in the lounge room....
But here's a thought....an unusual Bar-B-Que.... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I can visualise Fords, Holdens, Valiants, Cortinas etc... lol
cheers2

Pushrod Honda preferrer
I think it would get all smeared and scratched pretty quickly if it was where I live Deejay. It only works as a neat project if you keep it looking immaculate. That is why barbeques tend to be matt black. I agree it looks great though, if you never use it, and polish it regularly. How about a D-type, rather than those boring production cars? Or maybe a Nessmobile, or a Model A, in the traditional dull black, with the big folding bonnet used to cover up the cooking kit?

Master Technician
Looks good deejay.You must use different glass than me.Besides it being tinted.I also tried it to start without brackets for the handles.It didn't work.I have also found as I have over time had two sheets of glass broken,that I needed a sheet that is 8mm thick.I now know that was strong enough as earlier in the year I had a 40inch 42kg plasma TV fall onto the coffee table.All it did was break the suction cups off.Killed the TV though.So good luck without the handle brackets.Also I guess with the weight of 8mm thick glass I couldn't do it without the handle braces now.I started with 5mm thick glass,even just putting a coffee mug down the wrong way was enough to smash the glass.

Here for a good time,not a long time.
Forum Historian
Looking Good Darryl,

I was curious as to how the tinted glass would look, and I quite like it!

That colour really looks great in person, and now that Elly is hinting for a Victa coffee table around here, I'll need to pick my colour.

Hope your Idea for the bracket free handle support works, I might have a few ideas of my own for that, I guess we will see when the experiments begin.

Cheers
Ty

Deejay Offline OP
Hi Blumbly, I measured my glass and it is 8.3mm thick tinted plate glass. It is heavy, and I am concerned that over time it may crack the handle castings....I think I may have to use some support at the front...I have an idea that may do the job, without detracting from the 'look'.
Thanks again for your comments mate, and of course, the front housing and block for the axle. I think it all came together really well, just a few small bits to go... grin
cheers2

Deejay Offline OP
Hi Ty, I must admit I think I was a little ambitious in thinking I could get away with no front support brackets...there's been no probs with it so far...but I do feel that I am putting a lot of faith in the integrity of the alloy handle brackets plus my tank mod....but if you read my reply to Jeffery, I have an idea which may solve the prob.
Many thanks once again for the axles. Glad to see you got home safe and it was great to finally meet you in person, Ty.
cheers2

Novice
im new to the forum but i love what you have done with the coffee table

Deejay Offline OP
Hi Gavin and a warm welcome to the forum. We all like to learn new things and tinker here grin
Thanks for your kind comments mate...It has been fun doing this project...just don't know what my next one will be!! lol
cheers2

Master Technician
You could always try the bracket set up that I have done.They are small but strong enough to handle the weight.I don't think that they take the focus away from the mower.You would have to watch the base where the handle bars are.I've seen them crack just from normal use let a lone the weight of the glass on it.They could very easily crack there.

Deejay Offline OP
Yes Jeffrey, I am keeping a sharp eye on the handle brackets....I am thinking of using your method and will be sourcing the materials shortly mate. wink
cheers2

Master Technician
If you need some closer pictures let me know.It is simple to make.Just two straight round pieces of metal.A small section of pipe (cut in half to go under the handles bars) 2 screws welded to the metal rods on the bottom and 2 nuts under the base to hold it down tight.Simple yet very affective.

Deejay Offline OP
Thanks for that info Jeffrey....I will post some pics as I go along.
BTW: when will the 'Big Trip" be on? Joe tells me it got postponed last weekend. I'm just waiting for the snorkel and air filter to complete 'Mervyn' wink
cheers2

Master Technician
Not sure when we will do the trip.Soon I hope I will have a chat with the boy soon (Ty) and will work it out.

Trainee
I think i might have to start looking around for an Victa 18 special myself to restore , Dad has given me a set of new wheels for this model which he has had in his in his garage for years , so i'm off to a good start , smile

The doctor tells me I'm crazy, but the voices tell me I'm not. and i just don't know which one to believe!"
Novice
Hi Deejay,
Great idea for an old mower. Design and material make such a wonderful project to restore as a new item. I am a Design and Technology teacher and will be teaching Auto studies next year and your work will inspire others. well done !
Just a idea. Use clear glass with a frosted/sandblasted edge/border to frame your wonderful work.
cheers
Dday

John Doubleday
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Hi there Dday, welcome to the forum, its great to see a member from my home statem up until 12 years ago I used to live in franklin within the huon valley. Its funny in a way a lot of us tasmanans have ended up here where I am, my ute belonged to a builder/wood work teach/ mechanic from lillydale up near launceston.

Once again welcome to the forum cheers

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805