Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Hi All,
Just got my decals on friday and have just now put them on thought you might be interested in the final product.

The rest can be seen here:
http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m499/Pcamore/My%20Morrison%20C1208B%201955%20Restore/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ32 [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Membership information
Pushrod Honda preferrer
It looks just as beautiful as your Masport Iron Horse, Pete. Are the engines the same?

Are you sure it is 1955? It is a great looking design for such an early rotary - Victas of that era looked like converted washing machines. I'd have placed yours in the 1970s.

Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Originally Posted by grumpy
It looks just as beautiful as your Masport Iron Horse, Pete. Are the engines the same?

Are you sure it is 1955? It is a great looking design for such an early rotary - Victas of that era looked like converted washing machines. I'd have placed yours in the 1970s.

Hi Grumpy, thanks for those kind words.
The old bloke i bought it of repaired mowers for 15-20 years he knew these motors inside out and he still has the old parts manuals and workshop manuals.
Yes it definitely dates around the mid to late 1950's as this is the C12 Iron Horse engine.
First Iron Horse engine was the A series then the C then D in the sixties and seventies then F until 1990 then V, E and M series
These were built in Canada by RPM and then Evinrude/Johnson as a sideline for outboard motors and then Outboard Marine also Canada which was then sold to Toro.

Note on the body the height adjusters are all individual you had to adjust the height with a spanner doing one wheel at a time, the body is solid steel not alloy or thin steel they use these days.
This engine is very close to the first one i did, but definitely several differences being an earlier model

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Thanks Pete - I remembered that your Masport had a D series engine. They look extremely similar to me in general layout. Rather a complicated design, but you could as easily say "advanced" as complicated, with the reed valves and the centrifugal automatic ignition advance. Can you give us dates for the A and B series engines, and whether they had the reed valves and automatic ignition advance?

Next time someone says Victa invented the rotary mower in the early 1950s, that is just one more piece of evidence that they are talking nonsense.

Administrator - Master Technician
Hi Pete, Wow!! what a little ripper!! Mate, I would just like to add my congrats on a fabulous restoration. What a great partner for your Masport....
Once again, well done! good1
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Originally Posted by Deejay
Hi Pete, Wow!! what a little ripper!! Mate, I would just like to add my congrats on a fabulous restoration. What a great partner for your Masport....
Once again, well done! good1
cheers2

Thanks Deejay, yeah i have become quite attached the little mower, i love the shape and the oddness of her(sounds like I'm talking about a woman lol)

Cheers mate
Pete

Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Thanks Pete - I remembered that your Masport had a D series engine. They look extremely similar to me in general layout. Rather a complicated design, but you could as easily say "advanced" as complicated, with the reed valves and the centrifugal automatic ignition advance. Can you give us dates for the A and B series engines, and whether they had the reed valves and automatic ignition advance?

Next time someone says Victa invented the rotary mower in the early 1950s, that is just one more piece of evidence that they are talking nonsense.

Hi Grumpy,
As far as I'm aware there wasnt a B series i dont know who decided to jump all over the alphabet with the lettering for the series's as they jump several letters at a time.
The guy who owns this A series says its 1954 but will try to find a date when they started making them

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cheers
Pete

Last edited by Pcamore; 02/11/11 10:39 AM.
Pushrod Honda preferrer
That looks about as rudimentary as a mid-late 50s Victa Pete, but the mechanical design is vastly better. Are you saying they went from that, to your Morrison, in one year? Find out who the engineer was, he jumped about 3 design generations with the exterior of the mower around the engine.

Apprentice level 4
That is one beautiful restoration job. A credit to you. Cheers.

Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Here you go Grumpy a list of Models

Pete

Edit.
Forgot to mention that the Iron Horse engine was imported to NZ by quite a large group of lawn mower makers back in the early days and like my previous restore (Masport) and Morrison, Lawnmaster just to mention 3 used these motors on there own designed bodies.
Some of the NZ made bodies of which i have one in my shed is almost identical to the lawnboy of the day except it has Masport on the body when it was forged instead of Lawnboy

Attached Images
model list.pdf (1.13 MB, 149 downloads)
Last edited by Pcamore; 04/11/11 01:51 AM.
Pushrod Honda preferrer
So the C12 Iron Horse engine used on your Morrison was introduced in 1956?

Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
So the C12 Iron Horse engine used on your Morrison was introduced in 1956?

According to that file it would appear so, But i have found it elsewhere on the net that the C12 started manufacture in 1955 but i cant find it again.

I will change my thread title since you have proved me wrong, well done Grumpy you killed my thrill

Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
I cannot change the title.

So it appears my restore is a 1956 or later.

Administrator - Master Technician
Hi Pete, I changed the title for you in the first post to 1956. You covered yourself in your second post saying mid to late 50's....However, whatever its build date, it is a credit to you on a job extremely well done, mate! rockon
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Pete, I wanted to get the date correct and traceable because I think this thread will eventually be important to some people. We don't yet know how long it took to develop that first 8FH13 Lawn-Boy that went into production in 1954, but the thread helps us zero in on when one popular brand of American rotary mower actually went into production, and what it looked like. Your mower was a huge improvement on that first one, especially in appearance, and to me it looks mighty good for 1956. I can't find a C1208B model number on that list - was it a local NZ model?

Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Pete, I wanted to get the date correct and traceable because I think this thread will eventually be important to some people. We don't yet know how long it took to develop that first 8FH13 Lawn-Boy that went into production in 1954, but the thread helps us zero in on when one popular brand of American rotary mower actually went into production, and what it looked like. Your mower was a huge improvement on that first one, especially in appearance, and to me it looks mighty good for 1956. I can't find a C1208B model number on that list - was it a local NZ model?

I doubt it was local NZ model, I have 3 engine covers 2 x C1208B and 1 X C1202B

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Is that the engine type number, or the mower type number? It sounds as if it is the engine type number, since it begins with C12. Do you have the mower type number? That might help us to figure out the year of manufacture.

Pcamore Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Yes that's the engine Model number.
They dont have a Mower name that i am aware of.
Masport put out a Iron Horse mower with a later D500 series engine and called them "President"
Some of The earlier models were called "Rotacuts"
The black and white picture is a illustration of the first Rotacut where the grass is expelled from in front of the side wheel.
The Orange and Green Mower shows the very first catcher ever made( from the 100 years Masport book)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145