Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
2 members (NormK, Rogerv5), 296 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#26019 27/07/11 03:18 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Hi all here are some pictures of my Homelite blower.As you can see it is missing a fuel tank cap.What I would like to know does anybody have one? Does any body know where I can get one from?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I've taken pictures of the carby here.Only as I have a question.The white and red pieces there,is this part of the choke?So where is the choke lever I can't find it.Does anybody know where it should be? As I really don't think the white & red pieces are the choke.I hope I'm wrong.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Please Help.If the choke is broken how and where do I get the piece and fix it?
Thanks for any help or comments.

Last edited by Blumbly; 27/07/11 03:20 PM.

Here for a good time,not a long time.
Membership information
Blumbly #26021 27/07/11 03:23 PM
Forum Historian
You should find something suitable out at Tiny's for the cap.

The White and red adjusters are for adjusting the fuel mix for the high and low rev positions.

Cheers
Ty

Blumbly #26026 27/07/11 03:34 PM
I Brew The Beer I Drink
id say most whipper snipper caps will fit that one even try an old victa cap for now

Cheers, Emmo

is it beer-o-clock yet
emmo1980 #26028 27/07/11 03:47 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
[Censored] I was hoping you wouldn't say that about the choke.So now I don't know if the choke is on or off.Does anybody know if it is repairable or not.Are these parts available? Can it run or start without the choke?Victa mower caps don't fit.Does anybody have any pictures of similar chokes? That way I would under stand a bit better as to what it would look like.

Blumbly #26029 27/07/11 03:55 PM
I Brew The Beer I Drink
i dont have a pic but i think it looks similar to the ryobi little black lever type of choke.

or try turning that yellow part with a screwdriver the part should be replaceable though maybe have to order from the USA im pretty sure they are an american brand although probably made in china

Last edited by emmo1980; 27/07/11 04:01 PM.

Cheers, Emmo

is it beer-o-clock yet
emmo1980 #26030 27/07/11 04:00 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Thanks emmo1980 I just hope I can find the choke lever and a cap.As I'm 99.99% sure it will go.It's get fantastic spark and heaps of compression.

Blumbly #26033 27/07/11 04:04 PM
I Brew The Beer I Drink
quick fix for cap only to test if it will run could be plastic sheet with tiny hole taped over where the cap should be at least then it will hold fuel and you know if it will start

Cheers, Emmo

is it beer-o-clock yet
#26043 27/07/11 04:44 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Thanks drjbeam I didn't think of that with the choke.Cool now I know it is off.Thanks for the link to the manual.I now have that.Not sure if I will ever find the lever,but I should be able to work it without that now.Will have to find a fuel cap from somewhere but I'm sure I will work that out as well.

#26056 28/07/11 01:35 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Ok need some help now.Tried to get the blower working today.No success,it has a good spark has good compression and it is getting fuel.Just won't go.I ran the internal combustion engine sequent's.Suck,squeeze,bang,blow. What I came up with is, it sucks it's squeezes but it stops at the bang,so no blow.That's what I can't work out.It has great spark but it just doesn't fire.What the heck do I need to do?What am I forgetting?Any help would be great.
Thanks all

Blumbly #26057 28/07/11 01:41 PM
Forum Historian
Have you tried a known good spark plug, They occasionally will spark without compression, but die under compression.

You will find plenty for that machine in the way of carby parts, down at Tiny's green shed, At the tip on Mugga Lane. I went past today, and found a few machine with levers you could use. There not all on blowers, that engine (and others with the same carby set-up) were also used on a few different trimmers, etc.

If you like, i could arrange to meet up at lunch some time next week, and help you source parts (should be able to get all you need for $10)

How is the muffler, is it completely clear of blockages?

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26063 28/07/11 03:16 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Yes tried a know spark plug from a wiper sniper with the same plug.Haven't checked muffler,but I can't see that being a problem after I pulled the cover off everything looks new.The muffler still has paint on it and doesn't look like it has even got hot yet.Even the top of the piston looks new.If you have time around lunch then sure we could go for a look.I do think I need some help with this fellow.

Blumbly #26079 29/07/11 02:43 AM
Pushrod Honda preferrer
You might try putting a spoonful of fuel in through the spark plug hole and trying to start it. Those small two strokes are sufficiently difficult to start without a dysfunctional choke and a questionable fuel tank cap. If fuel in the plughole results in it running briefly then stopping, you can focus on the fuel system and carburetor.

Some of those fuel tanks use a vented cap with a one-way vent, and some use a hose-type tank vent. What kind of cap you need depends on which system it has.

grumpy #26111 29/07/11 01:38 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Thanks grumpy I did that and still not even the slightest kick.I never seen any engine before that everything works but still won't go.I can't even say the timing is out cause at least then it would at least run a little,or kick.I'm starting to get a bald spot from scratching my head so much.

Blumbly #26121 30/07/11 01:39 AM
Pushrod Honda preferrer
We've had four cases this year where someone was in the same position as you, and the problem was a brand new spark plug with a defect, so it wouldn't spark under compression pressure. Does that plug run properly in the donor machine you took it from?

If the plug is wet after you try to start the blower, even though you only had a smallish amount of fuel in there, it is fairly sure to be ignition or compression. Have you inspected the piston through the exhaust port? Does it blow your finger off the spark plug hole when you pull it over? If it passes those tests, and the spark plug is definitely good, you need to test the ignition module. We can talk about ways to do that.

Blumbly #26126 30/07/11 03:49 AM
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Are you trying to start it with the choke butterfly open or closed? With the air filter cover off, you should be able to flick the choke butterfly with something small and thin.

I have had several snippers that wont even kick if the choke is closed and the throttle not held wide open, I figured the choke is only to prime the cylinder.

Some more food for thought anyway smile

grumpy #26132 30/07/11 07:23 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Thanks grumpy,yes the spark plug runs well in the homelite wiper sniper.I haven't taken the exhaust of yet. I just picked up another old wiper sniper it seems to have a very similar carby.So I'm going to try and change the choke lever over.It had the correct fuel cap on it.So while I'm doing that I'll take the exhaust of and try that theory out.Thanks again.
Joe yes I have tried it both ways with choke on and off either way it won't kick.It is getting me frustrated as every seems to work.Just not all at the same time.

Last edited by Blumbly; 30/07/11 07:25 AM.

grumpy #26134 30/07/11 08:35 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
OK grumpy just did the thumb over the exhaust port,[Censored] near scared the poop out of me.Wasn't quit expecting it to be like that.So yes it blew my thumb off.Installed the choke lever however due to it coming of a wiper sniper it didn't fit correctly,so I can't put the air filter housing on with it in.However I did try to start it using the choke in the correct manner,still no go.So took choke lever out and put it back the way it was.So I still don't know why it won't go.HELP!!!!

grumpy #26140 30/07/11 01:45 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Hi all found a choke lever today,thanks Ty.Started to play around with it.I think I may have found the problem,it looks like it may be flooding itself.After I tried to get it going pulled the plug out and yes it was wet with fuel.Any ideas as to what would cause it to flood itself? Do these carby's have a float and fuel bowl? I don't know as I have never played with these types of carby's before.

Blumbly #26143 30/07/11 02:27 PM
Forum Historian
Start with the two mixing screws i mentioned today, Turn them all the way in, then slowly bring them out until it kicks over, turning maybe a 1/4 turn each attempt, and occasionally checking for flooding.

Cheers
Ty

#26171 01/08/11 12:01 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Thanks Chris.Yes that's what I was thinking that it has something to do with a stuck needle.I haven't looked at it yet.Hoping that there is not small parts in there that I may lose.

Blumbly #26173 01/08/11 12:03 PM
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
When pulling tiny carbies apart like those I do it over a peice of white paper on a level table, that way I can see anything that falls off clearly. I imagine there would be a small spring on the needle but thats about it.

#26179 01/08/11 12:32 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Is that the spring for the choke lever.I found that by accident the other day when changed the broken one for a good one.It was just as well I was watching,as I seen that and the ball fall out.I was lucky I found them again.

#26184 01/08/11 12:44 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Oh ok thanks Chris yes I've left that page open in browser for when I try and pull it apart.Hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow.Have been trying to sort out,putting away and stacking all my mowers here.Kept me busy all weekend.

Blumbly #26239 02/08/11 09:00 AM
Forum Historian
How did it go? any lock dealing with the flooding?

Before you go pulling the carby apart, I would try with the mixing screws, I have seen these set so ritch they cause the engine to flood when you try to start it.

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26252 02/08/11 10:52 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
OK cool I haven't touch it today still sorting and cleaning up for this up coming house inspection.Don't we all love those.

Blumbly #26255 02/08/11 10:57 AM
Forum Historian
Like a hole in the head mate!

I can have a quick look at it for you thisafternoon if you like?

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26262 02/08/11 11:05 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Sometimes I think a hole in the head would be less painful.

Blumbly #26265 02/08/11 11:09 AM
Forum Historian
I guess that depends on the agents, my last ones needed a hole in the head, the one i have now is great!

If we have no luck, i may have an alternate carby that will help get this one up and running.

Cheers
Ty

Blumbly #26269 02/08/11 11:48 AM
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Good luck witrh the inspection, I got sick of the stuck up lot coming in and complaining about stupid things like I had moved a cupboard so I must be hiding a stain on the floor, etc. So I bought my place.

it could well be worth checking out the flywheel, the key is usually moulded on the flywheel side of things.

#26272 02/08/11 12:26 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Yes thanks Joe. I wished I could buy my own place.Just don't have a deposit to do so.I must admit the agents we have now aren't to bad.Have some carby parts out now ready for the fiddling Ty.

Blumbly #26285 02/08/11 03:59 PM
Forum Historian
Wonderful, Keep me up to date on any parts you are missing, and i will see what i can do!

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26295 02/08/11 05:04 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Ok I will do.

Mr Davis #26327 03/08/11 11:26 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Ok no good pulled carby apart,cleaned it out still no go.However it does seem not to get as much fuel as it was.So I would think it would start ,but it don't.Maybe time to go back to rubbish heap where it came from,as I now have no idea.

Blumbly #26328 03/08/11 11:40 AM
Forum Historian
How did you go with the setting of the jets?

I noticed your mix screws have plastic tops on them, however, if you can get a small flat head into the small holed in the centre of the red/whit caps, you should be able to adjust them that way.

Put them both right it, and then bring them out 1/4 turn at a time, together.

So, screww them fully clockwise (not too much pressure though, they are delecate) then turn the red ant-clockwise 1/4 turn, then the white one, now give it just a couple of pulls, and see how it goes, after a few pulls, if it wont start, bring the 2 screws out another 1/4 turn, and try a few more pulls.

Keep going untill you get something, or till the screws stop.

Occasionally pull out the plug and check for flooding.

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26331 03/08/11 12:50 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
The red one has lugs on it so it can't turn,also it has no screw driver slot.The white one only turns about half way.I have tried that in various positions and it seems to make very little (if any) difference.

Blumbly #26337 03/08/11 01:07 PM
Forum Historian
You need a smaller screwdriver, the slots are inside the lugs, on the actual brass screws, down the small holes in the centre of the lugs.

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26340 03/08/11 01:27 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
The only way to do that would be to pull the red plastic cap off,as they are fastened onto them.I couldn't see anybody going to that trouble just to make something not work.I'm not sure that is the problem.It as it is getting fuel,and no near as much as it was.It just doesn't seem to want to work the way it should.I'm now sure it's not a spark plug issue as I also tried another known working plug today and still now go.It may be firing just a little bit,as twice when I took the plug out I did get coming out what seem to be exhaust gases.Couldn't be 100% sure of that.

Blumbly #26341 03/08/11 01:30 PM
Repair Junkie
Originally Posted by Blumbly
The red one has lugs on it so it can't turn,also it has no screw driver slot.The white one only turns about half way.I have tried that in various positions and it seems to make very little (if any) difference.

You need to rempove the plastic covers to be able to be able to adjust the screws. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
Blumbly #26342 03/08/11 01:49 PM
Forum Historian
Both general Use, and dis-assembling the carby will lead to needing to adjust the mixing screws, I did not realise you could pull the caps off, so do what bruce has mentioned above, to adjust them.

You would be surprised how mutch of an effect those little guys can have.

Not to mentuon, it's previos owner may have tried adjusting them for a number of reasons, even just "becase i though it would make it better"

Last edited by Mr Davis; 03/08/11 01:50 PM.

Cheers
Ty

Bruce #26343 03/08/11 01:52 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Yes I understand that,but what I trying to work is why would I need to.I mean how or why would they be that far out to cause this,as I wrote before after putting carby back together there in now a big difference in the amount of fuel going into the combustion chamber.I now can't see that the carby would be an issue.Before I did the carby it would end up dripping fuel from it,now it doesn't.Also the plug is not wet any more,you can see it is moist where as before when I'd pull it out the plug would dripping with fuel.The issue I have is I have never played with these carby's before and this could be do or die for the carby.If I stuffed it up it could very well be the end of it.I'm just fairly sure it wouldn't be a carby issue now.

Blumbly #26354 03/08/11 04:26 PM
Forum Historian
Well Run through everything else first then.

Strong white/blue spark over a 3mm gap?
Good Top & Bottom Compression?
If it's reed-valve, how is the valve looking?
How does the timing seem?
Are you sure the Muffler has not had some insect build a nest anywhere in it?

Cheers
Ty

Blumbly #26378 04/08/11 06:09 AM
Forum Historian
I feel that this does still seem carby related to me, However if you are uncomfortable getting to that, we can go through the process of ruling out all possible alternatives, as that way we can be sure about the carby eliment, and you can feel more confident you are not risking the carby unecissarily.

We can start with checking the ignition timing, While this engine wil have a transistorised coil, and there for the actual timing is controlled by a computer module, you can still have some issues that can cause the timing to be out, these are mostly regaurding flywheel keys, etc.

To make the machine not kick at all, it would need to be noticabley out, get a long wwoden stick, like the handle of a small artists paint brush, and insert it into the spark plus hole untill it touches the piston, hold it fairly central, so that it does not fall to the edge of the cylinder, this will let you see where the piston is in it's cycle.

Now, do a spark test, and try to work out if the piston is pretty much at the top of the cylinder when it sparks.

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26390 04/08/11 12:46 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Thanks for all your assistants with this [Censored] thing. I appreciated it,however I feel I've had enough of it.I certainly have sent far to much time working on it.It would be better and cheaper just to buy a new one.I mean I bought a wiper sniper and another blower for spare parts for it.Now how much is it worth?I have projects all over the place which I feel at this point are more important than this thing that refuses to go.I mean even if I got it going is it a good one? Is it worth it? I'm sorry I've just spent nearly 2 days on it.I just feel likes it an exercise in futility.I would prefer to spend my time on equipment that wants to live on.I am sorry but at this point I think I'd really like to see a sledge hammer taken to it,but I won't. I'm just going to put it in the shed and maybe wait until I feel that I need something that will frustrate me again.Sorry I just don't think its worth all this frustration.I mean these one the same model on eBay for $35. I don't think this one is worth it.Once again thanks to all I do appreciate the help.I just don't think it's worth the hassle.

Blumbly #26391 04/08/11 03:22 PM
Forum Historian
Would you like me to "Borrow" it for a week or two, and see if I cant give it back to you working?

Cheers
Ty

Blumbly #26393 04/08/11 03:27 PM
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
If I had a way to get it out here I would give it a new home, I might need a blower yet. I do see them very occasionaly out here but since the shop is gone from the tip here it is impossible to get anything.

Blumbly #26394 04/08/11 03:33 PM
Forum Historian
Joe, I am free the weekend of the 13th/14th, So I can come by and give you that mower.

If you like i can stop on the way and grab you a blower from the tip here, there's a few MTD's with Ryobi engines, as well as a couple of Ryobi's, and a few others by memory.

Heck I could stop at the tip on the way to yours, and call you to tell you whats there, then you could pick out anything you like!

Cheers
Ty

Blumbly #26395 04/08/11 03:40 PM
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
I'll pm you in a sec Ty. On that weekend I only have the saturday off frown mainly after full crank victas these days, I have given up picking up any "new" mowers unless they are a special model or free.....

Mr Davis #26396 04/08/11 03:56 PM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Well you can if you like,just don't pull your hair out like I did.It would be good to get it going. I do need one.I just don't have the time at the moment to look at it.With the inspection coming up and so many other jobs on the table.

Blumbly #26398 04/08/11 04:21 PM
Forum Historian
No Worries mate, I have a number of things here for you, so i will grab it when i drop these off, and let you know how i go with it.

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26410 05/08/11 05:16 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Do you have a day when you will call in?

Blumbly #26415 05/08/11 05:37 AM
Forum Historian
Not sure yet, probably next week.

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26416 05/08/11 05:54 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Ok cool.I'll put it back together then.Do you have the (I think) six pin (like a star) bits to undo the cover?If not I'll leave the back cover off.

Blumbly #26419 05/08/11 06:11 AM
Forum Historian
It's OK, I have those!

Have to keep alot of different security screw drivers about!

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26420 05/08/11 06:16 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Ok then I'll put it back together then.Thanks for doing this man.I do appreciate it.

Blumbly #26421 05/08/11 06:20 AM
Forum Historian
Not a worry, I will make sure to post the results up here too!

Cheers
Ty

Mr Davis #26423 05/08/11 06:34 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Ok and I won't interfere in the fixing process as I'm completely out of ideas with it.[Censored] thing.

Mr Davis #26523 07/08/11 07:42 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Ok I bite the bullet and I tried the mixture screws on the carby.Did as was told screwed them in all the way and then screwed them out 1/4 turns at a time. Continued doing this until I could visible see that the screws were so far out I swear I seen a china man dangling from the ends of them.Way to far out.All with not one sliest kick.No signs of life at all.The only problem I have now.Is how the heck and I'm going to get it going now.I now have an unturned carby as well as what ever the other issue is.I really (as I said before) believe it's not a carby issue.Surely these carby's would work on a similar principle as a car engine.They use to work on the principle of all the way in and then 1 and a half turns out,would at least get it started then go from there.Could this work the same? I hope so as at least that would give me a starting point with the carby.Could the problem be that even-though it has spark could it just be a little to weak to cause the big bang?Then another bang and another and so and on and...,you know what I mean.I just can't understand it.I've never had an engine where everything appears to work but yet no go.[Censored] frustrating.Ok let me know what you think guys any help will do.Even the most silliest idea could lead to a solution.After all that's what this forum is good for people with the same interest throwing ideas around.Thanks all.

Blumbly #26526 07/08/11 07:51 AM
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Hvae you checked the flywheel key out yet? for an engine to show no signs of life at all with fuel and spark I would be paying attention to the timing.

#26527 07/08/11 08:00 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Ok then.Silly question.If the timing is out wouldn't it a least try and kick? I just thought I'd see some kind of life.

Blumbly #26528 07/08/11 08:10 AM
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
I figure if its far enough out that its sparking at the bottom of the compression stroke, it will be too far away to make any sign of life. Could also be worth trying an ignition coil from a similar whipper snipper if you have one that fits as if the electronic ignition module might be muffed up, this is unlikely though.

#26529 07/08/11 08:19 AM
Blumbly Offline OP
Master Technician
Yes I could try that I suppose I do have a spare complete engine from a similar model blower.It might be worth trying although it is a big operation have to pull it completely apart to get into those bits.

Blumbly #45331 20/04/13 06:57 AM
Apprentice level 4
Hi from sunny Qld, l have pulled apart my homelite petrol blower because I had the same problem I had great spark and fuel and no go so flywheel had to come off and the keyway was good too after that I took the muffler off . Ifound what I thought was a pretty badly scored piston so I assume the motor now has no compression although it felt like it had plenty when I tried starting it . Got to this stage and don't know how to get conrod and piston out. [img]https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/uploads/usergals/2013/04/full-6680-10517-img_20130419_123533.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/uploads/usergals/2013/04/full-6680-10518-img_20130419_123600.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/uploads/usergals/2013/04/full-6680-10519-img_20130419_123623.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/uploads/usergals/2013/04/full-6680-10520-img_20130419_123713.jpg[/img] Are these things not ment to be fixed or is there a way to operate cheers .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545