Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
bobw Offline OP
Novice
Hi all,
I have only just found and joined this forum and have a question. I have a Rover Rancher model 1755 with a B&S 12.5hp motor. My problem is the cast alloy deck which is the twin disc 38 inch cut type, is starting to break up. Does anyone know if a replacement deck, is still available for a machine this old. All the cutter spindles, pulleys and bearings are near new as I replaced these only about 12 months back. Apart from this problem the old girl seems to be very reliable.
Cheers
Bob W

Last edited by CyberJack; 25/04/16 08:06 AM. Reason: Topic heading.
Membership information
Pushrod Honda preferrer
Welcome to Outdoorking, Bob. I think that the best place to get an answer would be a mower dealer who sells ride-ons, unless Bruce can find out for you. You would be aware that the 38" twin-disk deck was an option (the normal fitment was a 30" deck) and all of this was quite a long time ago. I can only find a single disk deck for the Rancher 2, and that seems to be "No Longer Available".

bobw Offline OP
Novice
Thanks for the heads up Grumpy, I wasn't aware the twin disc deck was an option as I got this unit second hand about 10 years ago and now find the deck is developing "holes" and the front skirt is breaking out.I have tried some of the local dealers but they just laugh and tell me they will sell me a new ride on. I probably do need a new unit but with their attitude if I buy it will be from another dealer. Another question if I might, did this mower ever come with a twin disc pressed metal deck? The reason I ask is that whenever I buy any parts for this deck I am asked if I have the cast or pressed metal deck.
Thanks again for your reply
Bob W

Pushrod Honda preferrer
The model 170 cutting head was pressed metal, single cutter, 30". The model 175 cutting head was cast aluminium, twin cutter, 38". Those cutting heads seem to have been interchangeable. The sales people are in effect asking if you have the twin cutter or single cutter model.

Junior Technician
bobw, i picked up a rancher the other day and it has the twin on it.

Probably about the same as yours, broken in the front in a few spots.
have you got some pics of yours you can post up???
It is the least of the issues that this machine has and i was going to part it out.

I was considering plating the front of the deck and putting a reinforcing rib in the centre. Re doing the skid hoops on either end. all in steel and have it bolt on.

The other option is i could fabricate a reproduction deck in steel, i have the deck here to go off and the gear here to do it, i would have to price up the cost of the steel.

I wonder how many years there was a 175 deck option??
Viable option or not???

Cheers, Bob.

bobw Offline OP
Novice
Hi Bob, thanks for your reply.Sorry I have been in Melbourne and the laptop crashed so haven't been able to get to the forum.
I don't have any pics at this stage but could take some next weekend when the deck is coming off to replace blades etc. I have plated the front skirt with some sheet metal but this is not strong enough to resist the bending effect of thick grass not to mention the tufted grasses. My biggest problem is the holes appearing in the top of the deck which are now getting dangerously close to the centre pully mount. If this trend continues the shaft holding this drive pully is going to let go and the unit will be useless. I have considered plating the underside of the deck where the shaft is mounted but as the aluminium is breaking up I guess this would merely cause a larger piece to break out. What is the condition of the deck you have in the main pully area?
Also what do you think the price of a metal deck fabrication would be?
As stated in my original post the rest of this unit seems to be pretty reliable and I would rather not buy a new unit as we may sell this patch of land and move to a suburban block and have no further need of a ride on.

Cheers

Bob W

Junior Technician
The front of mine is busted, have not checked the rest.

Was going to pull the motor off it next week and put it on the Victa.
I will check the deck out a bit better and get back to you.

Has your deck got the guide hoops on either end still. I would say if they are missing that will not help the front wall.

I will price up a sheet of steel. Hardest thing of scratch building one is keeping it flat when welding stuff on it. Warpage will wreck it.

Cheers, Bob.

bobw Offline OP
Novice
Hi Bob,
The guide hoops are still on the deck but one of the areas where the skirt has broken is where the shute side hoop is attached. I was able to relocate this when I plated the front and so far it has held in place.
I would say this unit had a hard life before we got it, and as we mow about 2 acres of paddock like grass (not manicured lawn) it's life hasn't got any easier. As stated in a previous post if we sell this place we will move to town and will have no need for a ride on, so I am not rushing into buying a new or even a "newer" unit.
Thanks again for your reply
Bob W

Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805