Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (NormK, MowingManiac, Joe_Carroll), 296 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#20637 21/12/10 06:05 PM
Junior Technician
Ive got a Rover Shredder here that had a 5HP briggs on it with a big hole in the crankcase. Same as this but red with black motor
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Just wondering what thoughts would be about putting a 4HP motor on it instead???
Provided the shaft is the same, i would have to check that.

I bought one exactly the same as it for my Dad and had a play with it on the weekend, im not sure that the lost Hp would make a huge difference but i still think it might be best to get some opinions from someone who might know.

Cheers, Bob.

Membership information
Pushrod Honda preferrer
You need to hear from someone who has experience with the machines, especially the same size and design as yours. From what I've read those small shredders are very limited in what they can do, because of both strength and engine power. People seem to complain about them on both grounds. If you reduce the power, when that is a feature that is already a limitation, you may be even more dissatisfied than other people seem to be. Of course if you will only ever put soft green leafy stuff in it, perhaps it wouldn't matter, but when you get to small branches, a 20% reduction in power may be a big issue.

Junior Technician
Thanks Grumpy.

I had a look and the 4HP motor does not have a flat base so it will not work.

I have a 5Hp motor here, i will do some work on it and put the machine back together. I have a OHV motor here as well, i might look into that but im not sure it will make much difference, 5Hp is 5Hp.

I was thinking of 8HP but then i think that would be over powered and it would/could smash itself to bits. The one i bought has been well used and it rather beat up. Ive got a Blown 8HP here i might see if it will fit under the chute.

After disposing of a rather large tree (i think it was a lilly pilly) with the machine on the weekend i think the 5HP suits. Had some issue with the throttle self closing.
The machine is not overly fond of sticks larger than the 38mm set out in the manual and its definatley for green sticks. But for what it is and the $190 paid for it (dads) it does a fantastic job. The leafy parts of branches it barely knows its there.

I transported the tree to a friends place in three big loads (. We 'shredded' it up and its pretty amazing how so much makes so little. Barely a 6x4 load of mulch out of 3/4 of the tree. My friend likes it, i think hes going to want mine, they have horses and its ideal for smashing turds.

Bent one of the tab things inside the machine so we packed it up. Going to take a few tools and tackle the rest tomorrow. Definately tighten up that throttle control so it stays put. And take ear plugs, its a noisy sucker.

If i can i will youtube a video.

Only complaints would be the noise, if it did slightly bigger sticks it would be better, and its a bit of a pain that you have to bust up bushy branches into smaller bits or the inlet chute blocks up.

Will be great for the old man, he has Plane trees and fruit trees, so it will take care of the leaves and prunings.

Pushrod Honda preferrer
It sounds as if it has a workable design and you have a workable 5 hp engine. As you said, an OHV engine of the same power will not perform any better, but bear in mind it will probably use noticeably less fuel.

Junior Technician
The OHV will probably be in the too hard basket.

I would have to run it sans the cover and that will leave the carb/air cleaner a bit exposed and looking odd, then i will have to mount up and plumb another tank to it, say a Tecumseh tank or something.

Ive got a head gasket for the 5HP waiting for me at the mower shop. I think i might just give it a birthday and check the valve clearances and bore and all that.

Im onto an old Deckson ride on. The OHV might be OK for that. Of course an 8HP would be even better, see how things go.

Bob.

Trainee
I have one of the above Rover 5hp shredders.
Agree with all you have said re: the limited branch sizes. Brilliant for leafy stuff and things like dried up basil bushes, etc.
Large lengths of kikuyu tend to get wrapped around the main shaft, and it is a real PITA to clean out.
Within it's limits, it is a great little machine, but I'd like to be able to mulch up 4" branches grin

Light travels faster than sound:
This is why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!
Junior Technician
I picked up the lower part of another one from the scrap yard last week. $25. Missing the inlet chute off the top (its been ripped off by the look) so its just the base and engine. Cover is a bit dented but it turns over. One of the wheels is a bit mangled.

I ended up getting a 20" rover with an old white 5Hp on it.
Then i got a 20" side throw with a 5Hp I/C on it but its got a busted conrod. Would like to rebuild this for it.

Id have it back together but i wanted to paint it. Not much weather for it lately.
Might get this new parts one going and drop the chute on it. Got some plants down the side of the house ive got to trim back.

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019