Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (NormK, MowingManiac, Joe_Carroll), 296 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Adzza Offline OP
Novice
Hey all,

I recently picked up a super 600 24" slasher for a song. Its in fairly good nic with no rust, and only a couple of cracks in the cast iron which I can get welded up.

I am going to refresh the engine, and get it sand blasted and put a new coat of paint on it. That way it should last another 20+ years! Just wondering if that seems worthwhile? I am after a good strong mower.

I did have one question for the pros. Some people I spoke with said this was a great mower to try to get, but they are rare. They said they were great cause they could handle thick grass, etc with no issues. I am confused however as they are belt driven. I would have thought direct drive type mowers would be much more powerful than something like this. Anyone offer some advice?

Cheers!

Membership information
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Depending what motor is running this is dependant on how well it will handle the long grass, I have seen the old victa 160cc 2 stroke on these and they are very powerful.

they are great for large land coverage.

Adzza Offline OP
Novice
How can I check what motor it is running? I got these numbers off the block: 5271011 84

I am also interested to know how I find out if this is a super 600 or a 24. I know they are similar but they are different models according to victa.

Administrator - Master Technician
Hi Adzza, and a warm welcome to the forum. Could you please post pics of your machine, from different angles, so we may help you with the identification of your engine and model of slasher. The block numbers don't help much without a photo to confirm. wink
Once again Adzza, :welcome: to the forum.grin
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Adzza Offline OP
Novice
I only have the one pic at the moment!

[Linked Image from img843.imageshack.us]

Thanks for the welcoming.

I should note that I know nothing about engines, and have always wanted to learn, so I have kinda taken restoring this old girl as a learning experience.

Can anyone confirm what these decks are made out of? I have a couple of stress fractures up near the engine and wanted to get get them welded up, but I am not sure it its cast iron, or aluminum.

Last edited by Adzza; 14/10/10 09:41 AM.
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Its cast aluminum deck.

The engine is a victa 160cc full crank engine with the G3 carburettor, a very good and reliable engine.

How does it run currently?

Pushrod Honda preferrer
I'm guessing that the driven belt pulley - the one on top of the cutting disk - is larger diameter than the one on the engine crankshaft. If it's not, the slasher is badly designed. The idea is to get about the same blade-tip speed as for an 18" mower, with a cutting disk that is one third bigger. The belt drive is used as a way to get the required blade speed, when the engine's maximum horsepower speed is too high for direct drive to work properly. Also importantly, when you hit the odd log or water pipe, the drive belt will just slip - the engine's crankshaft won't be broken by the impact.

It is usual for slashers to have belt drives. They do not waste much power - their efficiency is around 90% - and they enable you to use a smaller, cheaper engine and at the same time avoid engine damage from impacts. You could use a big, low speed engine running at the same speed as the cutting disk, but it would be more expensive and heavier. It would probably be a better solution for a machine to be used commercially, but for a light duty slasher, a cheap Victa engine is a good way to go.

Administrator - Master Technician
Hey Joe, that engine looks mighty like a Series 70 full crank 160cc Victa, it has exactly the same set-up as my Series 70 125cc... so is the machine a 70's model?
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Adzza Offline OP
Novice
I will try to get some better pictures up.

The mower has compression and spark, but the ignition lead to the spark plug is broken. I am just going to rebuild it anyways as it seems like a great mower, its aluminum so its light for its size, and it has a huge cutting deck.

It was very very dirty aorund the engine. Lots of built up gunk. I have removed the carby and cleaned that down after soaking it in petrol. Looks ok. Never done this type of thing before! To service and rebuild the G3 carby, what parts/gaskets should I be looking to buy? I am worried if I pull it apart, I wont get it back together in the same way.

Cheers!

Junior Technician
Originally Posted by Deejay
so is the machine a 70's model?
cheers2

If i remember right the power house museum has one and they list it as 80-84. mastercut 24". thats with the mark 3 series 70 motor.

Has that been hit with some spray paint Joe?? The handle should be white and so should the top of the recoil starter.

It looks like the front wheels are offset on it, or is that just a funny camera angle. So it could be a different model to what i think.

To get the motor off the deck you will need a 3 leg puller of some sort to remove the belt pulley off the taper on the crank.
From what i can work out you could put any of the old full crank motors on it. I am waiting for some more specific advice as to what and whynot in the engine section at the moment.
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19421#Post19421
I have a full crank G4 with electronic ignition and side start, that might work on mine.

Bob.

Junior Technician
I ended up building up a points G4 to put back on the slasher. New belt and it goes a treat.

I put the side start on the high arch base the points motor came off. Geez does it chew grass. Had no catcher (found it in my uncles shed on saturday up on a shelf) so i made a chute for the back that bolts to the door and gave it to my mate to munch up some sticks with. He rekons it goes awesome.

Adzza,
Im not far from you so it you wanted to get in touch you are more than welcome to come down and i can run you through some messing about on a full crank motor.

Bob.

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545