Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
grumpy #18228 27/07/10 09:48 AM
gac Offline OP
Novice
Thanks Grumpy for the hints,I have considered replacing all the fuel lines with ones of known quality (though I don't know of a good brand??),as i did origionally find one hose split where it connected to the fuel pump and of course thought my problem was solved( Of course not). Also the little spring hose clamps are rather flimsy,If these are not tight enough could they be a problem,air wise??. And could I replace them with something else??Also do you think replacing the pump with a quality one (as mowernut suggested above)could be done??and if so with what type of pump??Will check the breather valve straight away.Thanks again Cheers GAC

Membership information
gac #18234 28/07/10 01:20 AM
Pushrod Honda preferrer
Rather than replace the hoses and clamps, you could remove and check them. Verify that the clamps are spring steel: when you squeeze them to the fully-open point (tabs in line with each other) and release them, they must come back to the original dimensions. You do not want heavy clamping pressure from those clips, their purpose is mainly to keep the hoses from sliding off. The hoses themselves should be OK unless they are split, which is easy to check once you remove them.
My preferred diagnostic method with things like that fuel pump is to keep a spare one that I know is good, and just switch them whenever I'm unsure about the one I'm using. Can you get a spare fuel pump from the person who supplied the spare primer pump? Keep the original primer pump too, so you can swap that as well in future when testing is necessary.
So far as fitting a different fuel pump is concerned, I think that would be premature. Personally I prefer not to modify things unless I'm sure the original version didn't work. You don't know yet that the fuel pump has problems, and if it does, you don't know that a standard replacement would have problems. Cobbled stuff is often unreliable, for various reasons.

grumpy #18242 28/07/10 09:37 AM
Apprentice level 3
do you have a vacuum tester? such as the ones used in automotive for testing carbys ect? if you measure the amount of vacuum at the fuel line and primer bulb then you would be able to work out weather you have a fair pressure or weather its only sucking a small amount of fuel. i will go and measure the amount of crankcase vacuum on my ride on so you can compare the pressures to something.
im not suggesting jumping to the conclusion that your is no good but if you can test the pressures then you will have something to compare it to.
regards jay

gac #18250 28/07/10 04:36 PM
Apprentice level 3
Originally Posted by gac
Thanks DJ for making my photo's magically appear.
Can anyone give some hints as to how to improve this fuel system (if at all possible). I changed the primer bulb today which was kindly posted by the guy I bought it from on Ebay.It still took about 60-70 pumps to get the fuel up and again once it starts it will start all day. This ,as I think i posted earlier, is unlike when I first primed and started it when I could come back the next day and kick it over with no priming. So to summaries it is basically loosing prime overnight. Any thoughts?? Cheers GAC
Originally Posted by gac
Thanks guys for your quick responses.You guys are definately on the money, The "round thing"is definately a fuel pump of the daiphragm type pumped by crancase vacuum.You can see the line comming from the crancase in the first photo. I have very carefully pulled this apart to check for damage,and apart from being fairly basic in construction, it appears ok.When I pump the primer bulb there are air bubbles in both the bulb and the fuel filter after the fuel pump.If there was an air leak wouldn't that translate to a fuel leak at some point??

Hi gac,
I think I can help you out here, I ve had a similar problem on some other equipment fitted with a tilliston diaphram pumper carb.
Please note that we are looking at the "valve diaphram" and not the vacuum diaphram in the unit.
Take the pump apart again and inspect the surface around the "flaps" of the valve diaphrams on the metal parts. These act like a non return valve and stop the unit from loosing prime.
How to fix:
Buy some 1200 wet and dry and take your parts too the local Cemetary ??? yes we are going to talk to the dead rockband
no we just need a nice flat surface of machine ground granite! grin
Use the wet and dry on the granite and wet with WD 40 gently lap the sealing face in a figure 8 motion on the wet and dry (make sure the granite is free from dirt / dust first)
Check out the plate after a quick lap to see for a dull grey where the high spots are.
Keep going until you get an even dull grey around the "flap" valve areas on both parts that need lapping.
Also check that the diaphram valve material is not "burred" from the machine that made it in china. you may have to gently correct this by running you finger nail around the edge, or use an iron and put the diaphram valve between two sheets of paper over a flat hard surface; I can imagine quite a site in the cemetary now wink
If you get this far and all is well, nice grey flat surface and flat diaphram valve edges you have done all that can be done here.
As for the primer if it is easy to get at with the covers on, could you fit a small outboard motor primer? two squeezes on one of those should do it!
Happy lapping!!!
Oh yeah dont forget to talk to the dead while you do this you get great looks from others, just for a giggle, a word of warning though dont lap in a 666 motion! laugh

"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"
gac Offline OP
Novice
Thanks for the tip fast grass, fortunately I have just installed a new kitchen with smooth stone benchtops so I wont have to risk being arrested for performing satanic rituals at the local cemetery but I see where you are heading I definitely think the diaphragm could do with an iron,Cheers GAC

gac #18296 31/07/10 12:49 PM
gac Offline OP
Novice
Will attempt all fixes this weekend and risk death by trying not to get WD 40 on the new benchtop,thanks guys, will let you know,cheers GAC

gac #18302 31/07/10 06:03 PM
Apprentice level 3
MMM use water on the wet dry, it might save you from a fate worse than death mate! WD 40 on the new kitchen bench top ..... you'd be a brave soul to try that.... devilchilli
Good luck,
John

Last edited by FAST GRASS; 31/07/10 06:21 PM.

gac Offline OP
Novice
Gday everyone,
Just an update on the genny. I have dismantled the fuel pump and as advised I have smoothed out the mated surfaces with 1200 wet and dry (on the new benchtop with water,and lived to tell the tale)( just had to do it when the minister for war was at work).They were in a very poor state with cast marks and burrs. After I reinstalled it does seem to prime up better.
I think now the problem is in the carby. It will only start now if I pump the prime about 20 times (instead of the previous 70)and advance,or open, the throttle slightly. So I am thinking the set up may be wrong.
There seems to be only 2 adjustments,one for idle speed and another which I am not sure about. It is a brass screw which I don't think I should play with too much.It is very loose so If it is an important adjustment,there is nothing stopping it rattling to where it likes. I have taken some close up photo's, I hope they will appear.http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/chapconn/P8120546.jpg http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz22/chapconn/P8120547.jpg
Any thoughts are always greatly appreciated, Cheers Greg

gac #18487 14/08/10 01:33 AM
Pushrod Honda preferrer
Two small points, Greg. First, you need a space between the full stop after "appear" and "http", to make your first picture accessible. Second, you have said that the generator runs well after it starts. Jet adjustments are a bad idea as long as that is the case.

It sounds to me as if you probably still have at least one air leak upstream of your primer. It may be that you haven't yet got the pump completely fixed. Alternatively - and less likely - there may be a second problem with the fuel lines.

grumpy #18495 14/08/10 10:43 AM
gac Offline OP
Novice
[Linked Image from i810.photobucket.com]

gac #18509 16/08/10 04:05 PM
Apprentice level 3
MMMM I wonder if that screw is far too loose? and it should be tightend.? Carby screws should not be that loose! My theory being that if cracking or advancing the throttle to get it to start is actuating the main fuel circuit as there may be too much air getting past this screw if it is part of the idle air or fuel bleed circuit, there fore delaying activation of the fuel into the engine beyond resonable limits.

confused When the engine fires up does it appear to be rich? i.e. is their black smoke from the exhaust or is it "clean"?
This should give you a few clues, but from reading it seems like a lack of fuel sleep

If you find a sweet engine starting point and the screw is still "loose" raid the wife's fingernail paints and paint plenty around the screw to hold it right, this may even stop any other air leaks if this is the trouble.

Last edited by FAST GRASS; 16/08/10 04:13 PM. Reason: half a sleep! brain function low.....

gac #18511 17/08/10 02:24 AM
Repair Junkie
Originally Posted by gac

Gac,

Did you check the 'O' ring on the main jet (it is under the idle screw) and give it a good clean out as well. cheers2

Bruce #18796 08/09/10 09:11 AM
gac Offline OP
Novice
Hi guys,
Just noticed your posts after being away for a while.
The last time I played with the thing I could get it to start first time every time by closing the choke leaver (the grey leaver that is operated by the vacuume type solenoid),it is not a solid thing,meaning it has some slack in it,and if I twist it towards the closed direction it would start. So then i thought it was just a matter of adjusting the choke angle by sliding the wire through to the right point.Unfortunately I can't seem to find the happy medium,if I let it close too much the thing "hunts" where there is not enough speed to operate the solenoid.So I have attempted to adjust the idle speed (black phillips head screw) and the "jet" screw (brass)to to get a happy medium but so far havn't sucseeded.Really I don't have a clue as to how to set it up correctly. Any thoughts???

gac #18899 16/09/10 10:04 AM
gac Offline OP
Novice
Played with the thing again last weekend and the problem is definately to do with the choke. Had it firing up all day but once it gets a bit cold it will not start unless I force the choke closed more. As i said previous adjusting it closed more only leaves it running too roughly to get the vacuume to work and it just hunts along. Bruce i did remove the main jet completely to look for an 'O' ring but it doesn't seem to have one. Also as fast grass has suggested ,once I thought I had it running sweet I covered the thing in nail polish wich hopefully sealed it as well. Does anyone have any ideas with the vacuume thing,a sring maybee??Cheers Greg

gac #29526 05/10/11 05:51 PM
Junior Technician
I would suggest that you ignore the choke issue and get it running warmed up and run it hard under load for a few mins and then kill it. Pull the plug and check it for colour. (called a plug chop)

If its a nice colour (white is lean, black is rich, aim for a grey-brown) you have the jetting right.

Get your tools out, remove that choke pot etc and throw it in the bin. Block up the vacuum line prefferably at the source.
Then using some smarts, which after reading this thread, im sure youve got, fasion yourself up a bit of a ye olde style choke lever.
Take care and think idiot when you make up whatever, that lever on the carb looks like its fantastic plastic, last thing you want is to do a fantastic job and have it work well for 10 years then have a gung ho mate get all heavy handed and break the thing.

Not sure how it all fits under the cover. But im sure with a rod, some extra straightened out wire the same guage, you could make something up, run it through some bits of tin plate with holes in it as a guide. With a spring you could have it work opposite, it sits off, and you hold your finger on it to close the choke, motor starts then you let the choke off. Have it in a spot where its not proud of the outer housing. Not sure it you could get it anywhere near the control pannel.
Im assuming it gets itself up and revving Ok and only needs the choke for the initial start.

Interesting reading about the problems.
I have a chinese generator here but its a bigger one with a gravity fed tank. Missing the remote. Was missing the key too but i made one. Im wondering if i should get a remote, not so sure it would have much benifit.

Administrator - Master Technician
Hi Bob, the thread you replied to is over 12 months old mate, I will close the topic.
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794