Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (Deejos90), 6,921 guests, and 2,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 08:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#17781 18/06/10 07:50 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 133
Apprentice level 2
***
Evening All, just a little progress report on the Ransomes Marquis I picked up earlier this year. As well as adding a little paint and polish I have replaced the needle/seat, taper needle, main jet, banjo and gaskets/seals on the Amal 379, plus installed a new 'old stock' throttle cable which is tailored perfectly to the machine. I'll upload a clip on you tube when I'm finished and post the link here. These mowers really were the Rolls Royce back in the day, the quality is absolutely outstanding.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by CyberJack; 18/07/16 01:41 AM. Reason: Embed photos.

Keep On Truckin'
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***
Mark, I don't recall whether that Amal had adjustable jet centering like SU carburetors do. If it does, please follow the process carefully. I'm not sure I've ever owned a car with an SU carburetor that did not need a new needle and jet when I bought the car, due to amateurs not centering the jet properly. If the jet is properly centered and nobody has bent the needle, neither jet nor the needle should ever need replacement: they don't touch each other. Once they make contact however, the jet wears off-center and the mixture adjustment process does not work properly.

Nice work on the mower. It looks at least as good as new in the pictures.

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 133
Apprentice level 2
***
Hey Grumpy, thanks for your reply.
I see what you're saying regarding taper needles and main jets. However,the needle on the machine I bought for some reason had gouges in it and was slightly bent, this is why I replaced it. Everything seems to be running pretty sweet at the moment, but I've still got the old bits just in case. By the way, I never realised that the needle and jet don't actually touch each other, that's very useful information

Cheers,

Craig

p.s. My user name 'Mark_x11' refers to a Villiers MK 12/2. The X11 being Roman Numerals. This was the first engine type I started messing around with. I thought it was a good name at the time but now......


Keep On Truckin'
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***
Sorry about the name error Craig. I didn't go back to your previous threads to check - I just made an assumption which, like many assumptions, was wrong.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,362
Likes: 11
Administrator - Master Technician
****
Quote
p.s. My user name 'Mark_x11' refers to a Villiers MK 12/2. The X11 being Roman Numerals. This was the first engine type I started messing around with. I thought it was a good name at the time but now......
Hi Craig, If you wish now to change your username, you can. Just send Bruce a PM with the details of the new name you wish to use and as Administrator he can make the change for you. wink
cheers2


Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin



Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Outbacker, Michael D, Marcus Invictus, David Hurley, Benny84
18,138 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,809
Members18,139
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1