Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Infus10n), 270 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14682 04/11/09 05:31 AM
Apprentice level 2
Hi Bruce and all

I recently obtained a Suzuki 2 stroke engine off a Rover lawnmower. The body was shot and the guy reckoned that the engine needed new top and bottom seals along with new seals.
I got the engine for free but did not get the body as it was way beyond repair - The guy used the mower to mulch some tree brunches with a rusty deck and the deck fell apart.
I just have a few questions about the engine.

1) How can I determine if the bearings and seals need replacing?
2) Is it possible to replace the top and bottom bearings and seals without completely taking apart the engine?
3) Do these engines fit onto any mower base (ie Victa or Masport)?

cheers2

"You can't beat a good old Victa 2 stroke"
Membership information
Repair Junkie
VC Victa,

1. If the blade plate is on it is easy to check. Just grab the blade plate and check for movement from side to side. To much movement then the bearings and seals need to be replaced.

2. No the crankcase needs to be split.

3. They will fit any four stroke mower frame.

I would suggest that you replace the rings while you have it aparts in order to do a full recon. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
Apprentice level 2
Hi Bruce

Thanks for the quick response.
The engine currently has no blades/discs in place. Can I put any old blade on to test?
Is there any other parts on these engines that need replacing while I have it apart?

cheers2

Repair Junkie
VC Victa,

Yes just use any blade plate and make sure that it is secure.

They are the main parts apart from a carby kit. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
Apprentice level 2
Hi Bruce

I have taken the engine completely apart and now I just wanted to know how to remove the bearings from the crankshaft? Is there a special tool that I need?

cheers2

Last edited by VC Victa; 07/11/09 09:00 AM.

Repair Junkie
VC Victa,

They are not that hard to remove especially if you have a slide hammer which has either two or three arms which lock onto the outside of the bearing and also if you have an internal bearing that is not on a crankshaft it has another tool that has a lip on it to catch onto the inner part of the bearing. You then slide the hammer to pull the bearing off.

If you don't have one of those then you will need a small hammer to tap the old bearing on both sides in order to get it off and making sure that you don't hit the crank shaft.

Maybe some of the other member have their tricks to get them off but this is the way I have done it in the past until I purchased a slide hammer. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Apprentice level 2
hi vc victa
in the past i have put suzuki engines on rover frames that originaly had a brigs on them. i have a big bob superswift with one on it,also a flymo and a talon. they are a good reliable engine. one of the main things to check when your ready to start it is make sure the choke butterfly is fully closing or it will be hard to start. i have had a couple that are getting full travel, but the butterfly is not closing all the way. when this happens they are bloody hard to start. its probably set right anyway but its worth checking cheers micka

Apprentice level 2
Hi Bruce

I wanted to know how to put the piston rings on correctly. Do I need a special tool or is the another way of doing it?

cheers2

Repair Junkie
VC Victa,

1. You can use plastic sheet to rap around the piston and then slide the ring down to the bottom groove first.

2. You put the ring leg into the first groove and try to walk it down to the bottom grove (you need to be careful not to break the ring).

3. You can buy a ring expander.

The first option is the cheapest and easiest way and the second option has risks and the third is the professional way. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Apprentice level 2
Cheers Bruce got the rings into position without damage.
Know I just have another question how do I get the rings to fit tightly into the grooves? Do I need to buy a piston ring compressor tool or this another way to do it?
Thanks for all your help so far.

cheers2

Repair Junkie
VC Victa,

A ring compressor is the way to go.

There is another way, you could use a hose clamp but you need to be careful using it. I would suggest to use thin plastic sheet like I suggested with getting the rings on. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Apprentice level 2
Hi Bruce

Thanks for all the help so far, I have the engine back together.
However I now have another issue the engine mounts do not line up the mounts on my Morroson Vinaro body that I wanted to put the engine onto. Do I need to change the mounting plate on the engine? Or do I need to fabricate my own.

cheers2

Last edited by VC Victa; 18/11/09 10:10 AM.

Repair Junkie
VC Victa,

What motor was on the Morroson Vinaro because if it was a four stroke then the motor should fit. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Apprentice level 2
Hi Bruce

It had a briggs classic 4 stroke engine on it.

cheers2

Repair Junkie
It should line up with the holes because when it was made it was designed to fit any four stroke mounting. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Apprentice level 2
Hi Again

I have the engine on the body. I has the mounting plate on the wrong way, however the Suzuki engine seems to have a bad spark. It's a yellow colour not blue and seems to be intermittent when you pull the starter.

Do you have any ideas on how O could fix this or do I need a new ignition module?

cheers2

Pushrod Honda preferrer
You did check the spark across a known good spark plug, or from the wire itself to ground didn't you? Otherwise, do that as your first step. If isn't the spark plug, and because it can't be kill-wire circuit if it gives a yellow spark, it has generated as a weak spark due to either a primary or secondary ignition circuit fault. However many things could cause such a fault. If it does not have breaker-points, and you've set the clearance between ignition module pickup and flywheel with a visiting card, you seem to be left with earthing faults, weak flywheel magnet, or a bad module.

Last edited by grumpy; 21/11/09 03:43 AM. Reason: clarification
Administrator - Master Technician
Hi Grumpy, do you know what I really like about this forum?
It's learning new things every day!! I didn't know you could test for spark by using the lead itself....I always thought you had to use a (hopefully) serviceable spark plug!! grin
good1 Grumpy!!
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Repair Junkie
stevea,

I agree with grumpy about the spark issue, just check what he has explained first before going any further. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Apprentice level 2
Hi All

I cleaned everything and reassembled everything and now the mower has a good spark and starts up well, however now the mower does not want to turn off and seems to run too fast. I have checked the cut out wire and it is attached correctly. I have also checked the governor and that seems to be correctly set as well. At the moment there is no throttle control the mower only seems to run at full revs no matter where the throttle is set (only the choke setting slows the engine down). confused

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

cheers2

Last edited by VC Victa; 22/11/09 10:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,653
Members16,804