Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
grahamm Offline OP
Novice
Hi All, Have been given a 5hp Victa 5/26 with a broken conrod and damaged crank.

Looking around I have found a Quantum 5hp. I asked a local mower repairer and he said that new Briggs engines are way over rated in hp and that even a 6hp is only good enough for a push mower.

He said to get the same power as the old engine I would have to go for at least an 8hp.

Is this correct? any suggestions would be great got this thing to give to the brother inlaw as a christmas gift. If I have to spend too much on it I wont bother. Thanks, Graham.

Membership information
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
I just did a quick ask around, I couldnt chase up an original motor for you frown

Repair Junkie
Originally Posted by grahamm
Hi All, Have been given a 5hp Victa 5/26 with a broken conrod and damaged crank.

Looking around I have found a Quantum 5hp. I asked a local mower repairer and he said that new Briggs engines are way over rated in hp and that even a 6hp is only good enough for a push mower.

He said to get the same power as the old engine I would have to go for at least an 8hp.

Is this correct? any suggestions would be great got this thing to give to the brother inlaw as a christmas gift. If I have to spend too much on it I wont bother. Thanks, Graham.

Why not buy a new conrod and repair the motor. They are not that expensive in the online store. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
grahamm Offline OP
Novice
Bruce, I have been quoted approx $230 for a crank.

- as the journal is chewed, without paying for a machine up first there is no way of telling if the crank can be saved.

So Approx $275 for crank, conrod, valves and guides - as the guides are worn. Thats with no gaskets, piston/rings or seating new valves.

The Quantum 5hp I seen is only $290 delivered.

Thought the way to go was to just replace the engine. That was until I was told about B & S over rating the hp of their engines.

Btw is this correct? Im sure they would end up with quite a bad name if this is so.

Administrator - Master Technician
Hi Grahamm, You're right there mate, the new stuff has already got a bad name, most of the stuff coming out of asia is just rubbish compared to the old Briggs....even some late model Honda engines are not real brilliant cry
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Pushrod Honda preferrer
So far as power ratings are concerned, I would be surprised if B&S are telling any outright lies - partly because of their reputation and partly because of US legal issues. What people can do of course is avoid making claims and allow the buyer to make assumptions. If I sell an engine as a 'Bloggs 5' there may be the occasional gullible person who thinks that means it is 5 hp. In my limited experience, when B&S sell a 5 hp engine they put '5 hp' on it; numbers alone (like '375') only mean 3.75 hp to the buyer - they certainly don't to the seller.
I make no comment on the quality of the Chinese-made engines compared with the American-made ones, since I haven't ever owned one (neither am I in any hurry to).

Last edited by grumpy; 25/10/09 03:33 AM.
grahamm Offline OP
Novice
I asked a guy on fleabay if a 6hp briggs he is selling would be suitable to replace the 5hp his reply-

quote "hi there....no ....the flywheel is not heavy enough,,,,you could make a heavier pulley or use the Honda GXV160 ...which we have for $495+ frt."

Spoke to a mate last night, years ago I gave hime an old briggs 8hp horizontal, he still has it and said I could have it back.

The thing is I need a vertical. Is it possible to run a horizontal engine vertical? or would there be a problem with lubrication?

This is quickly becoming a pain in the ... !

J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Cant rally run a 8hp horizontal vertically, not only will you have trouble with the oiling system you will also have dramas with the carby, mounts, etc.

grahamm Offline OP
Novice
Have talked to my mate who has the old 8hp, He said how about putting the 8 crank in the 5 crankcase.

Had a laugh build a briggs stroker!!

J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
There is a 5hp to suit on ebay at the moment, all you would need to do is organise the courier smile

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRIGGS-STRAT..._Gardening_Equipment?hash=item4149f8cb83

grahamm Offline OP
Novice
You guys know what the journal size is on these? looked everywhere cant seem to find the size. It is a 130902 0439 01.
Never know might be lucky and be able to have it machined but it looks pretty bad.

J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
You can get an undersize conrod for a crank thats been machined smile

Repair Junkie
Originally Posted by Joe Carroll
You can get an undersize conrod for a crank thats been machined smile

Joe yes you can. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
grahamm Offline OP
Novice
But what size? still need to know if the crank has been machined in the past. And that the journal can be machined to the available rod size. All the spares places including here only list .020� undersize rods.

Apprentice level 3
Hi all,
I have a victa 5/26 'trans-a-matic' as well. Mine originally had a 5hp Briggs that literally had the chrome cylinder sleeve pealing off! I replaced it with a quantum engine and it seems to run ok accept it�s a bit jerky to start (kickback). Im sure eventually the vibrations will cause it to spit some nice hot conrod out the block or something, but it does the job! By the way I haven�t had a cutting deck on it as it didn�t have one on it (but I found one on the rubbish collection) so I don�t know wether it would have enough guts to power the deck threw long grass. It is also relatively slow, around 5kmh, but very nimble (im plan to use it between and behind hedges ect where the other ride on doesn�t go) so it would be appropriate for a relatively big garden but would take some time in a bigish area.
Hope this is of some assistance
Regards jay

grahamm Offline OP
Novice
Jay, Maybe the solution is to do what the guy form fleabay said-
quote "hi there....no ....the flywheel is not heavy enough,,,,you could make a heavier pulley"
Maybe that would help with the kickback, as the blade holder that's on a push mower adds to the mass of the flywheel. Havn't looked yet but if there is enough room you could bolt/weld one to the pully maybe on top. Would have to be centered very well or you will introduce a vibration that if bad enough would destroy the engine. Just a thought.

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019