Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Litl Phil), 295 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
loftboy Offline OP
Novice
Hey All,

I've got a Rover Colt 8 (model 7447, 3-speed) that we've been given, which is in great overall condition for it's age, except for what I think is a seized engine.

The current engine is a Briggs 8HP I/C (model 193707, type 0367-01) and I'm trying to workout what options I have to get it running again. From what I've been told, the current model Briggs OHV (EX1150 for example) are too big to fit onto the space in the back.

One option that was mentioned was to look at replacing it with a Honda GXV160 which supposedly has a weighted flywheel and the same, or similar, bold pattern. ** edit ** apparently that model Honda has a 7/8" shaft and will need a bushing to get it to 1" dia.

Another option is to tear down the current 8HP and try to repair the damage with a rebuild kit. I found one kit on eBay with aftermarket parts in the US (piston, rod, rings etc.).

Has anyone re-powered a Colt 5 or Colt 8 with a current model engine ?. My preference is for a Briggs or Honda, but if it has to be a Chinese copy, then so be it.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Last edited by loftboy; 12/04/21 07:38 PM.
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Dave,
Welcome here.
For starters the GXV160 has the wrong bolt pattern, can be fitted but it is a lot of work getting the holes in the right place. I did it once and never again. Motors are in short supply at the moment as you will find if you look up vertical shaft motors on ebay. You also have to watch, some of the 160cc motors on ebay are claimed to be Briggs bolt pattern but they aren't and are a pig to fit. Last time I checked most of the 13hp motors were out of stock What you must look for is Briggs bolt pattern which is standard on all motors up to 20hp I believe. Just be wary of the 160cc ones and all the Briggs pattern motors have 1 inch shaft

loftboy Offline OP
Novice
Originally Posted by NormK
Hi Dave,
Welcome here.
For starters the GXV160 has the wrong bolt pattern, can be fitted but it is a lot of work getting the holes in the right place. I did it once and never again. Motors are in short supply at the moment as you will find if you look up vertical shaft motors on ebay. You also have to watch, some of the 160cc motors on ebay are claimed to be Briggs bolt pattern but they aren't and are a pig to fit. Last time I checked most of the 13hp motors were out of stock What you must look for is Briggs bolt pattern which is standard on all motors up to 20hp I believe. Just be wary of the 160cc ones and all the Briggs pattern motors have 1 inch shaft

Thanks Norm - I've read a few conflicting views on the Honda bolt pattern. Good to get it confirmed firsthand.

Outside of the stock situation, can you confirm that the current OHV Briggs Intek are too big for a Colt 8 deck ?. If they are, I won't bother trying to pursue the butchering path on the deck.

Another option is to keep an eye on Gumtree etc for a working 8HP and re-power it with that.

Cheers,

Dave.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Dave,
Just so you are sure the GXV160 is push mower bolt pattern, ride on is the Briggs pattern. I had a squiz through the vertical shaft motors available at the moment and the prices have jumped up about $200 since before the pandemic started, supply from China has obviously dried up so up go the prices. Pretty sure the Intek is too big. You might find a motor on gumtree but you will always find it on the other side of the country. As for rebuilding a Briggs, I'm not a big fan of that idea, people do it but to me Briggs are designed to go so far and after that too many things can go wrong

loftboy Offline OP
Novice
Hi Norm,

Thanks again for the response - I understood that the GXV160 is for a push mower, but the bloke I spoke to said they had a heavy enough flywheel and power for a small ride on. Then again, he was sure it was the same bolt pattern :-)

As much as I'm keen to get the Colt 8 running again, by the time I stuff around, it probably won't be much dearer to get a reasonable running 2nd hand ride on. I might keep the Colt 8 and wait for the right engine to turn up for sale.

I only have to mow 300sqm of tough buffalo every couple of weeks down the back. Currently doing it with a push mower, but it nearly kills me in summer with the heat and slope of the block. The buffalo hasn't rooted properly in a few spots, and it's turned into freaking grass matt where the wheels just sink straight into it.

Cheers,

Dave

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Dave,
The other issue with the Honda is the shaft is 22mm and you need 25mm for the ride on pulleys, not impossible to overcome but it is another thing to be aware of. Another option is look around tor a Victa 24 to cut that grass, they are an amazing machine

Novice
https://www.chainsawspares.com.au/13hp-vertical-shaft-mower-engine-replace-briggs-st

talked to someone who has put a few of these on..they say they are good

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi enaj,
yes those motors are pretty good but they have gone up a couple of hundred dollars since the pandemic started. Will they come down in price again, who knows. The other thing Dave needs to realize is they don't come with a fuel tank which can cause you problems trying to mount one. The Briggs at least had one mounted on the motor

loftboy Offline OP
Novice
A quick followup on the outcome of this Rover Colt 8.

Well, it turns out it wasn't a seized engine after all. Once I started to disassemble the engine it became evident that it was a failed starter, where the pinion gear had jammed up against the ring gear on the flywheel. It was jammed hard enough to prevent the pull starter from budging.

The replacement Bendix bits for the starter are on the way, but it runs now with a pull start - winning !.

I'm so glad that it was something simple, because I struggled to find a replacement Briggs that would fit into the narrow space at the back.

Novice
The Colt Major I recently acquired has a Honda GV200 fitted to it.

Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019