Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
4 members (Charlie Munns, aitchey, Red Rum, maxwestern), 1,861 guests, and 2,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 08:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 07:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 06:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 08:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 3
Novice
Hi, first time posting on here.

I recently bought a very 2nd hand Scott Bonnar Queen 30" reel mower, with a Chonda 4 stroke (copy of Honda GX200 it appears) already fitted, but not running. Reel needs replacement, as does the bed knife (which I was fully aware of).
I have used reel mowers in the past, but only when in my late teens when I was the in-house gardener for my landlords......(parents)... but my memory was we only seldom checked the reel to bed knife cut, so never learnt much about its operation back then. I am not sure, but think they were a SB 45 17" and also a 14".
I intend to cut a newly established Kentucky Bluegrass to what would be the highest setting on the Queen 30".

I have some questions on the reel and bed knife. I see there are different bed knifes available for the Queen 30", that are:
+35
+45 TIFT
and have seen a +60.

What does the +35, +45, etc mean for the bed knife? I am guessing its the machined edge of the blade and the edge is ground by 0.035" (0.889mm), or b 0.045" (1.143mm), etc.

In addition to understanding how the +35, etc relates to the blade, what are the reasons for selecting +35, +45, etc over one or the other?

I have searched for said information on this forum and the general web, but have so far not located an answer.

If anyone can point me in the right direction which would explain the above, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Guy.

Portal Box 6
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 3
Novice
I have attached a sketch of how I think the plate is.

Also, another question, what does the TIFT stand for when I've seen a blade thats +45 TIFT?

Thank you.
Guy

Attachments
Queen Bottom blade sketch.jpg (48.16 KB, 60 downloads)
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 42
Likes: 2
Novice
Hi Yuggy ,As I understand it (I have been bowling greenkeeper for 44 years).You have the sizing correct .TIFT just means for Tiftdwarf bowls greens.The thicker blades give longer life and are typically used at rennovation when more abrasive sands are present and height of cut usually starts around 4 to 5 mm.When green is in play and mowing height is 2mm or lower the thinner blade is used,the thin blade has a lower tendency to ride on the underside of the blade.

Last edited by sb30inch; 09/12/21 12:55 PM.
1 member likes this: Yuggy8
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 3
Novice
Thank you sb30inch, greatly appreciated, and Happy Friday!.

As I'm a domestic user, and will probably have the height set as high as possible on the Queen, I take it I want the +45 or thicker bottom blade?

And photo attached for anyone interested, in its current state.

Guy.

Attachments
20211114_193959 - Copy.jpg (149.65 KB, 33 downloads)
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 42
Likes: 2
Novice
Thanks Yuggy,Yes the thick blade would be good in your situation.Remember that the cylinder is reversable on the 30 inch Queen,giving you a sharp leading edge.I only usually grind if I think the cylinder is out of shape or it has been damaged by sand etc.Cheers sb 30inch

1 member likes this: Yuggy8

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D, Marcus Invictus
18,140 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,812
Members18,140
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1