Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 233 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
pau13z Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Hi all,

I've got 2 PowerTorque engines, one has a short crankshaft and boss, the other has a longer crankshaft and boss. The engine with the long crankshaft isn't working (Straight fueled from what I can tell). I was hoping to use the same alloy it came on to swap it with a spare PowerTorque engine I have, but the spare has a short crankshaft and boss, so I'd need to swap them.

Is there any issue with doing this? Are they identical for all intents and purposes with the exception of the length?

Cheers in advance,

pau13z

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
No. You need a PT with the longer shaft to replace it otherwise the blades will sit too high underneath and the mower will be dragging along the ground for a normal cut.

Sounds like it got loaned to a mate who straight fueled it. Never loan out your machinery to a mate, least of all a two stroke. Most people are too rough on their own equipment, not to mention other's.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
pau13z Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Nah it's one I bought and couldn't get it to run, I've previously posted about it, I could never get it to run. The only thing I could think of was it could have been the crank seal, but didn't want to go to the trouble to get it off. That said, there's scoring on the piston, so at this point I'm not going to bang my head against the wall with it any longer.

However, the chassis is really good and alloy, and I have a spare PT engine that works but has a short shaft/boss. I was hoping to remove the crank and boss from each engine and swap them, then put the spare known good PT engine with the newly fitted long crank onto the body, I just wanted to know if the crank can be swapped between bodies or if there's something that would stop me from swapping the cranks?

pau13z Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
So with no response yet I took it upon myself to remove the boss/sleeve from both crankshafts, remove the crankshafts, and attempt to put the long crankshaft into the engine block. It looks like it will most likely fit, however, I didn't consider that I'll probably need a press to be able to get the "new" crankshaft in frown haha.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
This place is dying. We went three days this week wIthout a single new post aside from CyberJack posting one of his historical features.

I deeply suspect members have moved to Fakebook.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
pau13z Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
What happened to NormK?

I things will pick up as people start mowing again, give it another month and things will be going nuts lol.

Any idea how to get the crankshaft back in without a press?

I have a bearing seal kit that's designed to push on the seals and reinstall them, the only thing I could think of would be to use the blade disc nut and that kit to try to pull it all back together as I tighten the blade disc nut and the tool pushes on the bearing to hold it in place, but before I do that I may need to figure out how to remove and install the top crankshaft bearing, it's still on the shaft.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Yeah the usual fly by nighters who just come here to glean the particular information they want before moving on without offering anything in return.

Not sure why Norm stopped coming here. He used to post a lot when he was here. Lots of useful information I benefited from and I always enjoyed reading his take on things.

pau13z Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
Not sure why Norm stopped coming here. He used to post a lot when he was here. Lots of useful information I benefited from and I always enjoyed reading his take on things.

Agreed. I didn't always agree with his views or thoughts but it was always nice to have his 2 cents and few gems pop in. Hopefully he comes back soon.

I've got one of these blokes:

https://www.toolmart.com.au/sp-sp70960.html

I'm hoping I can use it to hold the lower crankshaft bearing in place while pulling the crankshaft down through the bearing. I'll let you know how I go at some point tomorrow smile

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
There is also the fact I got my wires straight the Aussies are nearing the end of your winter months where I am just entering our Fall months here in the USA. Things do slow down a lot during the colder months of the year. Here my business is already dropping off into the Winter mode which is leanest time of the year for me to operate. Mainly chainsaws and ATV keeps me going during this time.

Also the Covid virus has greatly affected how a lot of us operate. Plus our health take a turn for the worst in general. A couple years I nearly died because of uncontrolled blood pressure. I was over half paralyzed lying on my living room floor with no way to get to a phone. I was lucky that the spells subsided enough that I was able to get to the phone and call for help.

Personally I thing regular should check in every once a while if nothing else just let us know they are fine.

I can't help on the PTs as they are none existent here. Even our Lawnboy 2 cycles are mostly gone now.

Another thing that happens is as techs gain knowledge they will be on less as simply they are not needing the same amount of help as they as their experience level increases and they get busy working on things. Personally I don't as need as much help as I once did but since I live alone I do get bored at times so I go online to see if I can help anyone myself. I surprised but shouldn't be of all the quack repair ideas being posted.

Last edited by AVB; 24/09/21 11:07 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I like hearing what the scene is over your way AVB, even if it may only be specific to your region of US of A. It's a self contained world there and really the headquarters of the western world.

Plus many small engine equipment is relatable between the two countries who are culturally fundamentally very similar but very different in their nuances.

pau13z thoroughly agree in what you said. Some things NormK said didn't resonate with me but I always respected him overall.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi pau13z, AVB and MF

Firstly, to get the bearing back on without a press, I would suggest freezing the crank and hopefully that would reduce diameter enough for it to be quickly 'persuaded' back on

Can confirm Norm is fine, taking an understandable break from mowers over winter due to the cold, along with another thing which happened late last year here.

I am sure he won't mind me letting any of you who remember the possum issue he was having know it was sorted by cutting down the liquid amber tree.

Norm has, and hopefully will soon continue, to be a valued member and contributor of ODK and always offered fast assistance regarding Victa 2 stroke problems

Always trying to get around bad engineering(eg super 24 PT kickback), I am sure most of us have done his G4/LM carby mod on a least one occasion

Hopefully he will be back soon

Regards
Tyler

PS The only thing I can recall disagreeing with him on is regular motor oil as 2 stroke oil grin haha

Forum Historian
Agreed. I didn't always agree with his views or thoughts but it was always nice to have his 2 cents and few gems pop in. Hopefully he comes back soon.

G'day all ODK Norm Lovers and members,

First, I appreciate the comments made here.

For me, Norm was like an old pair of slippers to ODK;
a dependable sage of information that helped many
members with their questions.

I feel he left for a valid reason.
I regret I could have handled that issue better.

Having said that, there are systemic changes taking place
in those that support the ODK 'forum' delivery platform.

ODK does cater to considered postings and it does draw
upon access to members of incredible experience.

ODK is certainly out of phase with other social media
platforms. I hope it doesn't change too much though ...

A final thought: -
I think I am qualified to say this:
The history of mowers depicts the importance of the lawnmower
in having a special significance in society.

It made public parklands available and it made many
outdoor sports possible.

For domestic lawnmower users it had a social construct.
It gave houses with lawns respectability. I have written about
how the front yard was more important to North Americans;
the backyard more important to the British and Australians.

All this is in decline in Australia.
The decline of any yard means no lawnmowers and domestic
lawnmowers have become throw-away.

This place is dying.
Maybe ... but that should not be unexpected.

This place is what members make it and the folks
that are attracted to it are in decline.

Shelley's poem Ozymandias seems poignant here: -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozymandias

---------------------------
Jack

1 member likes this: tortoise2
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi CyberJack,

I really appreciate the intellect and wit you clearly possess and your excellent communication skills you bring here.

Your history pieces on the more obscure brands lends incredible validation and credibility and a feeling of prestige and class attached to this hobby that could otherwise be viewed as a daggy subject with an uncool and even unsophisticated image.

You have well and truly put paid to that!!

1 member likes this: tortoise2
pau13z Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Originally Posted by Tyler
Always trying to get around bad engineering(eg super 24 PT kickback)

That made me smile smile and yes 100% as I said I hope to see him back soon and I'm sure we all feel that way.

Good call on freezing the crank, I'll give that a shot as well smile

I hope this place doesn't die, it's good to bounce ideas and have a yarn smile

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day pau13z, AVB and MF and CJ

I can't see any reason why the cranks won't swap over even though I've never bothered changing cranks
on a powertorque as a good mower is $10 at the tip and almost every time I throw scrap metal out I see
a good Victa powertorque mower just left for scrap.

A little late now that the motors are apart for disassembly techniques but you can use wood or brass as a drift to
hit the crank in or out.

Good to hear Norm no longer has the possum issue anymore.

Cheers
Max.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi maxwestern and others,

firstly thanks for steering the topic back on track and second, the relative scarcity of long shaft PTs makes this endeavour worthwhile IMO, plus it gives you the chance to check inside the engine's overall condition and replace any wear items like the piston, bearings and rings and also give it a hone if needed.

pau13z Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Hey all, just an update.

After freezing the crank it did fit in a lot better but still didn't slide in all of the way. However, when coupling freezing the crank with the toolkit mentioned above and my rattle gun on the blade disc bolt, I was able to essentially impact drive the crank in, while pushing the center race of the bearing to avoid damage.

After reassembling the engine it is firing :-)

It is revving a little high but there are lots of little things I haven't tried to resolve that yet so I'm not worried about that. The key takeaway is it's running, and you can swap short and long cranks :-)

Cheers for the assist!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Did you pour nitrogen on it or stick it in the freezer for 40 minutes next to the meat and ice cream?

Handy to know. Good work getting it to run.

pau13z Offline OP
Apprentice level 2
Freezer for about 5 hours in a zip lock bag while I mowed lawns :-) and cheers! Crank pin tightened with a wobble bar, job done :-)

1 member likes this: Mowerfreak

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
BigFish1972, LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury
16,846 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,847
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace