Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 195 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#109530 30/11/20 01:12 PM
Novice
Hello members . Long time looker, and now, as a fully financial member, am seeking a little help to ID this machine . I retrieved it
from a trailer destined for a "tip" run from a mate, with a contract with the Local Council called "HOME ASSIST' ( a Pensioner
initiative, allowing them to have free pick ups of 3 heavy items ( Fridges, Washing machines, Lounges, old TV 's etc ) every 6 mths , I think!
For the learned folk, here I am thinking this is a " doodle" to confirm the antecedents etc of this machine.

The obvious indicia being VICTA ,CORVETTE , 4 Stroke , B&S (WHITE) Motor , "Thumblatch' Catcher , Snorkel Breather and
apart from that, I have nothing! My curiosity was peaked , because I could not find an identical machine on GOOGLE IMAGES
among hundreds of depictions.One seemed almost identical , but had an engine mounted air cleaner .
Anyway , I changed Fuel , Oil , cleaned Air filter & Plug , and "Bob's ya Uncle" it fired right up idled & revved
out progressively, to max. revs

So did a small section of the back lawn & it never missed a beat.....so I did a quick" make over" on it (not my thing,
being Custom Big Block Harley Davidson's are ...) and I think it looks pretty good , but will obviously defer
to the learned opinion of you folk, with the real expertise! As a layperson in the field I was surprised
at the heavy duty nature of the Catcher and how Heavy it was....also the 'catcher " set up impressed ,
as that ain't never gonna fall off!!
Will try now to attach some photos...(only allowed 2 apparently!!!)
Thanks in advance.
Mick

Attached Images
DSCN0970.JPG (503.04 KB, 124 downloads)
DSCN0975 (1).JPG (234.19 KB, 122 downloads)

chief
Portal Box 6
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Ruffchance nice to meet you and welcome aboard the obsession.
We seem to have a Briggs vertical pull theme this week with another topic showing three mowers with this engine as a tip find offering parts. If you live near enough you could take advantage, though it doesn't sound like you need any at this moment.
Good introductory show and tell you have here with the venerable Briggs vertical pull and alloy deck with the large ball bearing wheels, though only ball bearing outers. Still much better to push than the nylon bearing wheels the cheaper models got. Victa would introduce full ball bearing wheels both inner and outer years later in the 1990s I believe. They can easily be fitted to your machine if you can find a decent set, though these older type are perfectly fine IMO.
Only misgiving I have with the Briggs on this base is how the exhaust shoots backwards against the rear, leaving a coat of hard to remove exhaust soot as seen in your first picture.
Machine dates maybe from a early as 1979 but more likely from the early 1980s as this style of base with that green paint was common with the side pull full crank two strokes introduced late 1980. Yours is obviously the four stroke option but not sure if that intake snorkel came with it new. Going by the premium wheels, it may well have.
You have done an outstanding job in cleaning it up, particularly the catcher. Could you tell us what you used to achieve such a successful detail?
Looks too nice to mow with!

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Novice
Hey....thanks for the info . and the positive feedback .

First, was a Pressure Clean , I used some light sand paper to spruce
up the chrome bars & polish with Mr Sheen ( the best I've found after years of polishing Harley chrome! ) , some 'tyre shine" ,
on the Air cleaner hose & Wheels , catcher, washed & Clear coat of paint , wire brushed Exhaust and Alloy breather connector ( since photos)
You are right about the Exhaust residue ... tough ! ....used dishwashing metal scourer & Domestos .
All up, about 30 mins work for the transition.

I am informed by a a landscaping guru , that it is all original, except the bar retainers which were the bolt / plastic disc, adjuster type,
not the ones on it ??

I really don't need another mower , but do need a new Harley tyre for one of my Choppers....are they
worth anything to a "good home " ?

Thanks again...

chief
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
You've got it detailed, serviced and running. Perfect to put in an ad. Much better machine than what you'd get today new at the medium price range.
I would advertise it between $80 -$100 myself or try your luck on E bay with a reserve of $80.
It's got the advantage of being four stroke with a well liked Briggs engine. I think collectors prefer two strokes in this era of Victa but everyday buyers are more likely to go for this.
I hope it goes to a good home.
The handles would originally have come with the round knobs to tighten with. These quick release levers probably came from a later model. Much more convenient than the knobs. Another example of a retrofitted upgrade. Many Victa body parts are interchangeable over a span of many years.
This amounts to a very good mower you have here.
You may be able to stretch it to $120 or even higher.

Thanks for telling us how you cleaned him up.
We learn from each other around here without fear or favour. Increasingly rare these days.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Novice
Thanks very much !

chief
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The easy fix to get the exhaust to direct out to the side is to go to Bunnings and get a 1/2 inch M&F galvanized elbow. Take the muffler off screw in the elbow and then screw the muffler back on

Novice
Thanks NormK.....an ingenious , quick , easy fix !

chief

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury, yambuk
16,845 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,846
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace