Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 195 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Its Aldi Mower season again on October 10 - looks like aldi is finally ready to unleash another shocker upon a gullible buying public

Ignoring the 80v battery one (because I wager no one is interested in it - I know I am not)...

Their offering is a $399 224 cc Autochoke electric start chonda on 21in SP steel deck covered in plastic that look like they belong on a toy (which is to say they are in the right place). No throttle, only good thing is it has 4x swing back blades. Weight is 48kg! Wait til the SP dies.

Then there is a $199 31cc 4 stroke trimmer. They have been selling these a few times now and I have honestly not seen many broken coming up - so maybe thats a good sign.

There is a $199 49cc 4 stroke (yes 4 stroke) chainsaw with 16in oregon bar and chain (which looks very vanilla homebrand with no identifying markings).

They have had a 4 stroke saw before - where it took its engine oil out of the bar oil (so you had to kill your bar with 10w30 oil). You had to use the bar oil cap to get the fuel cap off for refueling - the idea being you couldn't forget to top up the oil.

This new one doesn't have this feature - so whether its a different system, or they have just decided to let it die, we will have to see.

Only other petrol thing is a $299 pressure washer - 209cc chonda, 11lpm @3200psi, with 10m hose, detergent tank, different nozzles, etc.

All branded Ferrex - same as Scheppach, gardenline, 909 - all apparently managed by the same bloke/company.

The part that will be of most interest to us is the $12.99 1L full synth 2 stroke oil is back! Along with 2l of chain bar oil at the same price.

The bar oil is normally blue and quite nice and tacky - excellent for oiling foam air filters, have found it can be a bit thick for some Ryobi pole pruners unless watered down with 15w40

MF, no doubt you will be happy about the 2 st oil smile

Portal Box 6
Junior Technician
on Sunny coast, my favorite time of year was council kerbside cleanup...........
Don't have them in Bundy, too expensive for council........
speedy

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Can't say I have a favorite time of the year except that I hate winter and in particular the one we have just been through here in Melb

Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sorry guys, hard to denote sarcasm in writing haha.

My favourite time of the year is also curbside collection

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi fellows,

thanks for being our resident consumer advocate Tyler.
I will be grabbing a couple of those bottles as I've been very impressed with the absence of smoke on the Victas I used it on. I don't regret getting the Castrol mineral for $4.75. It will be my contingency to hold out for next Aldi special buys synthetic. I can feel free to fuel my collection to give them a start periodically.

As for favourite time of the year? These days the end of the silly season when it's normal again for the next year.
Unlike school days when the start was my favourite of course.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF, the oils definitely are the only deals here. The 4 st chainsaw has a novelty value if you can get it on special buy clearance, but I wouldn't consider it economic value (especially as I only put about 4 tanks of fuel through my saws each year

Last edited by Tyler; 28/09/20 02:35 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
On a trimmer the four is good in Honda form at least but a gimmick in a chainsaw. You don't need the added bulk and weight and the worry about lubrication.

Stihl have gone for a compromise with their four mix range where they fire every alternate TDC but the oil is mixed into the fuel two stroke style. I can't work out the advantage except for emissions.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
I saw this one, soon to be at a store near you .

Attached Images
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
What a complicated looking pile of shite
And Tyler, here in fantastic Melbourne (the worlds most livable city) we don't have designated hard rubbish times anymore, if you want a hard rubbish collection you have to book it with the council, so the only way you can find a hard rubbish pile is if you happen to come across on it when driving past

Last edited by NormK; 29/09/20 07:00 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It's a shocker isn't it Norm? Most of the fairing is obviously for show to take in the impressionable consumer. Besides, Victa did it the best in the 70s and 80s.
Imagine how shite it will be after a few mows.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Got my slime riddled paws on these. There were still plenty of the 4 but I grabbed the last two 2s left.
Might try the 4 in my Briggs verti pull.

Attached Images
IMG_20201013_205732.jpg (130.32 KB, 132 downloads)

Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF there is a reason there is still plenty of 4 stroke - that deal is poor.

1l of full synth 2 stroke for $13 is a great deal - 1l of 10w30 4 stroke oil for $13 is seriously bad.

1l @ $13 = 5l @$65. That's squarely in Castrol edge territory. I would take it back and go down to SCA and pick up this if you want to try full synth in the briggs https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/castrol-castrol-edge-engine-oil-10w-30-5-litre/516277.html

I would not consider putting expensive oil like that in a briggs. 1 its still pricey at 40% off, 2 it is API SN which means low zinc (flat tappet engines need zddp to prevent wear).

You need a few things in a mower oil - protection at start up (ZDDP), protection whilst hot running (boron), a good total base number (as oil dilluted by acids from combustion will become more acidic and pit and eat away eventually), and a good shear stability (resistance to thinning after high heat cycles).

Thus in a perfect world, you would use an oil with an API before SL, and a semi or full synthetic (better shear stability). Aldi's one may offer this - but I doubt it. It is probably the cheapest 10w30 they could find.

The other way around shearing is using a mineral straight weight oil - hence SAE30.

However, 15w40 is very shear stable. Given time, it will shear slightly worse than a 30w, BUT I know you will change the oil regularly and it will not be left for years on end.

If I were in your situation, I would pick up one of these when you go back to repco to pick up the coolant https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fl...5w-40-engine-oil-5l-pm15w40-5/p/A9491748

Nulon mineral 15w40 - shear resistant, shedload of ZDDP, good TBN, AND $13 for 5l. I personally have about 5 bottles from when it was $10/5l, but still a deal.

Plus its aussie - and to quote Scomo - "how goods that?" Great!

PS - picked up the air filter oil spray today. Only thing to note if you get some is it turns oiling the air filter into a 5 minute operation - it comes out cold and practically freezes the foam, so you have to wait for it to thaw out a few minutes (30 sec in the sun) before you knead the oil through.

Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I went back through my correspondences with castrol and found they suggested Castrol Edge 25w50 for flat tappet engines as it has one of the most zinc in castrol range - 1150ppm.

Note it is API SG (which is probably due to other things as opposed to lower quality). WHat I mean is, its probably API SN grade with regard to _____, but due to the high zinc and other good stuff you can't do with SN, it only "meets" SG in this regard
Nulon still has 1300ppm

Last edited by Tyler; 14/10/20 12:03 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It's in the boot of the car ready for the first opportunity to cash it in!
My gut was telling me it was possibly the wrong decision to get this one but the refund policy swayed me.
I'll grab a Nulon 15/40 provided they have some. I'll stop by to get it before the coolant arrives!
You're a star Tyler!

Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
You're most welcome MF

I would normally suggest waiting until 25/10 for the likely $10 Autobarn special, however the $3 would probably be eroded in time, petrol and car wear and tear to get to an autobarn as I know you don't have one near you.

If you want to go for a bottle of SAE30 as well you could get this https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fl...w-mono-engine-oil-1l-1281-01/p/A9633836. Rare to get SAE30 cheaper that $5 per L. Its marginally cheaper per L than the 5l Repco brand SAE30 on special this week.

Was lucky enough to pick up a (very short lived) price error a few months ago at SCA whereby I got 24x 1L bottles of SAE30 for $27, but that will never happen again unfortunately.

I still use 15w40 in everything, I note no difference in the 1x quantum and 1x classic 35 I am running on SAE30, but it is an ongoing test

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Wow, that 30 weight mono is a bargain.
I just hope the rather small Repco in my neck of the woods still has some. Might as well get two of those as well as the Nulon 15-40.

Christmas has come early -for my engines haha.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Tyler,
Don't want to burst your bubble but I believe that Repco is now owned by the Chinese, so I won't be going there ever again

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
NK as long as you take advantage of the deals, you'll give less to them at least. The world is going to the canines. Very disappointing to hear.
Donald the saviour won't be enough it seems. At least the legend shows them the respect they deserve.

Tyler, I collected the items today. I had to ask about the oils. The Nulon 5L motor oil was in an unopened box in the middle of a floor display and they didn't have the small engine oil so I ordered it online. Only one available or is there a buying limit of one? It wouldn't let me order more.

Super duper costly auto has a similar C&C service. Are there any deals you've seen with them? They have a sale on selected items at the moment.

I'm looking for a torque wrench for lower settings. SC have a nice Toolpro 1/4 dr for $89 which ranges from 3.7nm to 27.4. That's ideal for me as I have a 1/2 dr that goes to 28nm.

There's another more expensive one on special from Toledo for $99 that ranges from 2nm to 24.5nm.
I'm not sure if I'd ever likely need to go so low tightening a nut our bolt. Should I get a 3/8 Dr instead that goes down to 6.7nm?

Attached Images
IMG_20201015_165108-1000x564.jpg (116.61 KB, 78 downloads)

Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Norm

From what I can see, Repco is owned by a yankee company Genuine Parts Company, who also own NAPA (COV's). Don't know who owns them though, so you are probably right if you go high enough in the chain.

MF, The order in stock is based on regional supply - eg I can still order 6 of those bottles, but you will be able to order things I can't.

What about this? https://www.repco.com.au/en/tools-e...4in-dr-torque-wrench-mpbw109/p/A5426731.

If your not in a hurry/desperately need it, wait a couple of weeks. I will post here when I see a deal on it. I wouldn't pay more than $45 for it if I were you (25% off).

Although it is worth noting in a few days SCA have $20 voucher with $80 spend.

Or at least I think they do, they keep sending stupid 'breakup' emails to Bathurst (they are not sponsors next year). If you are a club member, you will get what I mean. And if they send me one more I will (to update the words of Aunty Jack) "jump through their computer screen and rip their bloody arms off" haha.

I have not heard good things about how toledo are heading quality wise. I have Toolpro (SCA) and Mechpro blue (REPCO) tools and can vouch for their quality.

I bought this https://www.repco.com.au/en/tools-e...-2in-dr-torque-wrench-mpbw104/p/A9816322 for about $40 back when they first put them out a couple years ago. Pretty good torque wrench

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I can wait no problem. $45.00 would be great, though I'm tempted to try for that $20 SCA voucher and get the $89 (less 20) Toolpro TW as I was very impressed with the design, it's Taiwanese made and has a near ideal torque range.

I got my 1/2 dr torque wrench from Aldi special buys for $24!! Made in Taiwan, blow mould carry case, three sockets and a 5" extension in the kit. Used it to fit a pair of struts to the Laser recently.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bruce, Deejay 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury, yambuk
16,845 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,846
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace