Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#105336 19/04/20 04:12 PM
Novice
I hope this is the right place for this, I have seen a few other posts similar so here goes.

This is the mower that came with a 15 acre property we bought. After getting it going a few times it went for a while then stopped, wouldn't restart. Ominous clacking sound when turning over didn't sound good.

Now, whilst I now know what happened (con-rod brokeded) I don't why, whether it's something I did or didn't do or it was about to go on it's own. Being about 35 years old it's done quite well but the timing of it's demise was suspicious.

I eventually got said mower back to suburbia where I could work on it and pulled the engine off and apart.

Knowing the 11HP engine was stuffed I started thinking about finding a replacement and considered a 16HP Chinese Loncin engine available locally, problem was it had an oil filter the original BnS didn't so I knew it might not fit.

Hence I decided to model the mower a) for fun (?) and b) to help with modification options without having to cut anything first c) play around with different paint options virtually.

Problem with b) is I don't have the engine modelled and wont any time soon frown

Since then I also decided to go with a "Buy Australian first, Chinese last" approach to life so ended up buying a 11.5HP US made BnS from local BnS guy. Contacted BnS US and unsurprisingly they wouldn't let me have any models of their engines. Poo poo heads.

BnS also has an oil filter so something's gonna get cut.

I hope I haven't crossed any lines or broken any Mower community rules but I have decided to paint it white going forward.

More to come...

Attached Images
WP_20140524_041.jpg (122.9 KB, 213 downloads)
Conrod.jpg (239.61 KB, 212 downloads)
Engine bay.jpg (205.05 KB, 212 downloads)
Locin.jpg (114.06 KB, 212 downloads)
Membership information
Qualified Senior
Hey Madmower. cool little ride on.
Some people are sticklers for keeping them original.
My view is that if you like it white then go for it mate.
after all it is your pride and joy.

If my collection is complete ( then how come i keep buying stuff ? ) πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
Apprentice level 4
That certainly broke properly!

I'm just happy the rest will be kept going. I have trouble finding old parts, so you gotta do what you gotta do.

I love original, but you have to be able to use it, otherwise it gets kept in a shed, or worse.

I don't collect mowers. I just require Multiple Mowing Solutionsβ„’.
1 member likes this: MadMower
Novice
Thank you for the kind words.

I did consider keeping it original-like but since it would have an unoriginal engine (the engine block and everything was smashed up internally), seat and some add-ons I let that thought go.

Another thought was (in getting new engine) was that, at the start of the day (because at the end of the day the mowing should be finished and time for beer) I need this to work and be startable/usable by the Mrs.

Attached are the first couple of parts I modelled

Attached Images
Pulley.JPG (25.14 KB, 195 downloads)
black rim.JPG (31.87 KB, 196 downloads)
gearbox sprocket.JPG (21.78 KB, 196 downloads)
transfer cog.JPG (27.08 KB, 196 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi MM,
are those parts 3D printed? 11.5 hp is a big motor for these but it will certainly do the job. As for the broken rod, Briggs do that.

Last edited by NormK; 20/04/20 01:47 PM.
Novice
Hi Norm,

The original engine was 11HP so was another reason I didn't want to go for the 16HP Loncin, I was worried what it might do to the gearbox. I figured if the gearbox went it could very well be game over.

The parts above are only 3D rendered at this stage but as they are modelled they theoretically could be 3D printed.

Since Perth has (supposedly) the fastest 3D metal printer in the World it's not too far fetched. https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...rinter-in-the-world-20191015-p5310g.html

Want me to print you off a Ranger XC when I'm done? smile

Attached Images
Rover Mower 0013.JPG (43.78 KB, 188 downloads)
Rover Mower 0014.JPG (51.32 KB, 188 downloads)
Novice
The CASE 970 was the first tractor I learnt to drive and the similarities in the mudguards was serving as inspiration but since the mudguards are being removed to fit the engine it no longer made sense.

Attached Images
iu.jpg (402.7 KB, 186 downloads)
CASE Image.jpg (52.3 KB, 188 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi MM
keep the guards if you can, what causes you to have to remove them, if it is only the oil filter then just cut around it, the rest of the motor should fit. Did the Briggs come with a fuel tank, if not as the Chondas don't that becomes another issue.. If you are up to real 3D printing I think gearboxes would be high on the list of must wants. I'm sure a few other people would want those as well just to keep these simple, easily/cheaply repaired machines running. All very well to buy one of the later machines but when the hydro gives up or the deck starts to fail they are too costly/difficult for most people to repair

1 member likes this: MadMower
Novice
Norm,

The Chonda didn't come with fuel tank, another reason I went with the BnS which did.

Unfortunately the fuel tank is one of the things on the new engine that necessitate the guard removal as it's on the opposite side and vertical with a fuel pump rather than gravity fed (?) from a horizontal tank that sat above the guard.

The original engine was a recoil start, new one is electric+recoil (yet another advantage over Chonda), so old one didn't have the starter to get in the way (although original XC had recoil or electric versions, but I don't have to tell you that).

Exhaust clashes on other side as its much bigger, as well as the starter.

As you may have seen from earlier foto of Loncin, I was hoping it was a matter of cutting a hole in the guard and maybe having to remove a wheel to do an oil change.

New engine is just. plain. phat.

Attached Images
WP_20140524_039.jpg (137.13 KB, 182 downloads)
engine rear view.jpg (31.97 KB, 182 downloads)
engine side.jpg (103.05 KB, 181 downloads)
Novice
Have painted a few parts, as it's my first project it's not perfect but I have cleaned it up best I could and even used a primer coat! With any luck I may have it finished by the time this lock down ends smile

Attached Images
Side Panel.jpg (64.75 KB, 172 downloads)
Side Panels.jpg (66.08 KB, 171 downloads)
Red Seat Plate.jpg (39.09 KB, 172 downloads)
Seat plate.jpg (37.35 KB, 172 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Big motor you are putting on there MM, I think it would have had originally a 5 or 8hp motor

Novice
Hi Norm, the engine I pulled off was 11HP. CyberJack has a nice brochure in the history section from ~1985 showing this too. It also has to have a 1" shaft, not sure a 5-8HP would?

How does a 30" cutting disc stack up against others available? Is that bigger than normal? When it did work it cut onion weed/Guildford grass better than anything else I've seen, I put this down to a pretty fast tip speed on the blades due to large diameter disc that you might not get from smaller multi-cutter mowers.

Attached Images
Briggs.jpg (23.08 KB, 165 downloads)
CyberJack.jpg (26.04 KB, 166 downloads)
Last edited by MadMower; 28/04/20 05:59 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi MM,
the 5 and 8hp motors have the 1 inch shaft ( that is any with the ride on Briggs bolt pattern, the small push Briggs motors have a different pattern) 30 inch is what these ran, they may have built some a bit smaller, not sure. Greenfield built them in 26,30 and 32 inch. I think their rear engined ones were 5 hp and the front engines were 8 and 12. They may have fitted some bigger ones in the Evolution models

Last edited by NormK; 28/04/20 06:17 PM.
Novice
Norm,
I have bolted the new one on and run it for a bit, the throttle lever works in reverse to what it was before unless I've got something round the wrong way. I was going to see when I remove the control console if I could turn the mechanism around so it pushes instead of pulls. Cant remember how old one worked, dont have it handy. It sounds then that this engine should be able to do the job without breaking a sweat, maybe why original lasted 35 years, had an easy life?

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MM,
changing the motor can cause throttle issues mechanisms are all different. Honda into a Evolution Greenfield is near impossible to get past the petrol tank mounted to the firewall.

Novice
Well surgery has been done, the mudguards have been removed (so don't look if you're squeamish). I didn't just hack them off I ground/cut the stitch welds and they fell off so if I really wanted to put them back on I could. Just to illustrate what the problem was I knocked up a quick and dirty engine model, I apologise profusely in advance for its crudeness, which shows not only how the oil filter clashes but also the exhaust and fuel tank clash with the guards and more importantly the actual mounting points. So I didn't see any other option, I sure more resourceful and creative people out there could've found a way to make it work. It also makes for better access to the starter etc and hopefully easier cleaning/air flow.

Attached Images
Clash 1.jpg (66.58 KB, 146 downloads)
Clash 2.jpg (86.69 KB, 143 downloads)
After Cut.jpg (67.62 KB, 144 downloads)
Apprentice level 4
Hey MM,

What software are you using for your models? It looks pretty decent to me, I'd be scrawling mine on a piece of paper.

And it certainly wouldn't even earn a place on the fridge if given to you by a 4 year old!

That's screaming for a custom exhaust fabrication, IMO. devilchilli

Novice
Mystyler, I am using SolidWorks to do my models, we use it at work and they don't mind me faffing around on it in my spare time. It might seem like a waste of time to some but, meh, some people paint pictures, some take pictures, I make pictures. It's a hobby in itself. I remember when I first joined someone showing some photos trying to show someone else how a linkage went together and they were apologizing for the angle or lighting of the photos. I thought gee if only they had a model they could do an exploded or section view. So that's part of my motivation to complete the model, to help others, even though realistically I am probly the one who needs the most help smile

I had a look at the deck the other day and it didn't look good, pretty rusty, some parts I could make, others..... but then had a squiz around the spare parts section on here and found the deck spindle and bearings. I thought Awesome, I am definitely in the right place!

Attached Images
Rover Mower 0028.JPG (22.37 KB, 124 downloads)
Novice
Mystyler,

Is this the type of custom exhaust you had in mind?

Sorry for the delayed response, my artistic ability is second only to my laziness, forgetfulness and my inability to count.

Attached Images
Custom Exhaust.JPG (20.52 KB, 115 downloads)
Apprentice level 4
MM, I must apologise for not getting back to you in the first instance.

And yes. That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I had in mind, and it looks better than I could ever have hoped. Ya gotta do it! laugh I had wild ideas about getting something similar for my old Briggs on the Scott Bonnar, but with a rain flapper. Then I bought a new Honda and remained sensible since.

I have to live vicariously through others now. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545