Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Jeffery), 357 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#105306 18/04/20 07:23 PM
Apprentice level 4
G'day all,

I love the smell of two stroke in the morning. And the afternoon! Any time of day, really.

Lawn and garden are great areas to feed my addiction, but due to space, everything I own has to be used.

Now, I can live with a 4 Stroke horizontal motor on my SB45 (but a 14" Victa Imperial with a 125cc is where it's at!) but after a season of using an otherwise fine 4 Stroke Greenfield Enduro, I feel empty inside when I go to mow. I also seem to move it incorrectly often enough that I'll tip some oil into the combustion chamber and it'll smoke like a champ when it starts. Clearly, I'm not suited to sumps and valves!

I use a very late model Victa Commando with a Power Torque 2 motor on my neighbour's lawn. They currently have Fairey Ring, so it's not being used on mine for the foreseeable future. If you are familiar with the Chinese “chabuduo” mindset, you'll understand why only three of the wheels match. We all know white walls are the right wheels for mowers anyway. It's almost, but not quite there. Everything has been built down to a price on that thing, then put on a diet.

So I've been thinking about getting a "classic". I've managed to find a very nice VC Auto Drive MkIV. It's all there, but I perhaps feel they want a bit much for it. No negotiations have taken place regarding that, so we can cross that bridge later. But I need it to earn its keep and place in the storeroom. It's in immaculate nick. Some signs of use, but very little.

Who uses their "collectables"? It'll be a fairly easy life, max it'll ever mow in one session will be about 120 sqm of Buffalo. Some will inevitably have twigs and tree nuts through it. The rest the Scotty will do, and the Commando with continue to do the neighbour's until such time I've got it weed and Fairey Ring free. It's going to be a while...
The Greenfield will be used when the Box Trees dump all their leaves and nuts onto the lawn during spring, or when I feel like mulching.

I just need it to have a decent cut, I understand it has two blades only, and to be durable. It seems blades aren't a problem, but engine parts? Diff and drive belt? Blade carrier? I cannot imagine catchers of that era being widely available.

It's certainty not going to be abused, but I wonder whether or not I should leave it alone. I don't see many using "classics", probably for good reason?

Last edited by Mystyler; 18/04/20 08:04 PM.

I don't collect mowers. I just require Multiple Mowing Solutions™.
Membership information
Former Moderator
Sure it's not Napalm ?

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
G'day Mystyler,

Well, it's a full crank 160cc engine, and I really doubt that engine parts for those are going to dry up in a hurry. And that model was the first to be fitted with the G4 carby, so all good there too - G3 carby parts are drying up fast.

The gearbox should have quite a long life, so long as it gets regular oil changes - this is something that original owners tended to neglect.
The oil to get: https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...cta-vc160-auto-drive-v109.html#Post84629

Edit: Woolies have a $6 clearance special on this week, of a graduated Marinade Injector syringe/needle setup, in their 'BBQ Bits' section. This would be an ideal tool for refilling the AutoDrive gearbox; https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/26221/woolworths-bbq-marinade-injector

I guess you've seen this thread by Mr Davis? https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...tailed-rant-on-the-vc-160-with-pics.html

PS: for a really good 2-stroke 'aroma', try Castrol TTS oil - the smoke smells just like the old Castrol R castor oil based racebike oil!

Last edited by Gadge; 19/04/20 04:15 PM. Reason: Add message re service tool

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Smelt many a dose of Castrol R at Winton and Phillip Island , they were good days.

Trainee
Originally Posted by Gadge
G'day Mystyler,

PS: for a really good 2-stroke 'aroma', try Castrol TTS oil - the smoke smells just like the old Castrol R castor oil based racebike oil!

Hi Gadge,

Really loved the smell of that old Castrol R. Would you still mix the Castrol TTS at 25/1 or 50/1 for these old 2 strokes?

G'day Alan,
Originally Posted by Alan
Really loved the smell of that old Castrol R. Would you still mix the Castrol TTS at 25/1 or 50/1 for these old 2 strokes?
Well, it isn't necessary for effective lubrication, but I'd run it at 25:1.

Changing the mix ratio in a big way will also affect the air/fuel ratio appreciably, in fixed jet carbies like these. And anyway, it'll smell better! grin

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Apprentice level 4
BB, ha! From the perspective of the grass, I'm sure it is six of one, half a dozen of the other! devilchilli

Gadge, thank you. I read your replies this morning and thought to hell with it. I'll take a chance. We met in the middle price wise. I still think it was a tad above market. Never mind, I have trouble finding pre-PT Victas around here. I've popped a picture up. I'll start a new thread, so this one doesn't diverge from the topic at hand.

Attached Images
DSC_0088-01a.jpg (383.8 KB, 33 downloads)

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It looks in good nick you can't deny that. Look at that tread. Sllluuurrrrpp!!
They're worth what people are prepared to pay and it really does depend on location.

congrats

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Apprentice level 4
That's what caught my eye, MF! That tread usually means they've had an easier life. Cheers.

Last edited by Mystyler; 19/04/20 07:57 PM.

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019