Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Joe_Carroll), 287 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Forum Historian
Hello ODK history lovers

I have just been given advance info. that a new series on Aussie Inventions
will screen on Foxtel's History Channel in June, 2019.

This is an eight episode series.
The story on Victa will appear in the first episode: -

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You may even see me in the Victa story ...

------------------------------
Jack

Membership information
Apprentice level 4
G'day CyberJack!

This is awesome thanks very much for this mate!

Can't wait to see it, only problem is I don't have foxtel and I don't know how they work? Will it also be broadcast onto free to air tv one day? Or maybe after it has aired on Foxtel do they let people view these shows for free online?

I wouldn't mind to see all of them but I would really like to see the first episode with the Victa story.

I'll be looking out for you CyberJack in that story! Great stuff mate!

Last edited by Converse; 25/05/19 12:15 AM.

Zip a dee doo dah, zip a dee ay, another trash picked Victa, hip hip Hooray!
Forum Historian
Can't wait to see it, only problem is I don't have foxtel and I don't know how they work? Will it also be broadcast onto free to air tv one day?
Hi Converse.
I do not have Foxtel either...

A way around this may be Foxtel Now ... https://www.foxtel.com.au/now/index.html
I think I will use that service.

The History Channel has already started blurb ...
https://www.historychannel.com.au/shows/aussie-inventions-that-changed-the-world/

I do feel the Victa Story will offer new perspectives ...
We will see an important early Victa collection and the strip-down of a
replica 'Peach Tin'!

There will also be discussion of Victa Marketing - why it was so good!
I may even appear, discussing the Victa Shearline TV ad of 1960 ...

I don't know - I haven't seen the final cut (pardon pun). grin

I hope many folks watch this new series.
Made by Sydney's Northern Pictures, this is a professional production.

Cheers
-------------------------
Jack

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sounds like a good use of their 10 day foxtel now free trial - just wait until after all episodes are released, start trial, watch any bits of interest and cancel subscription

Qualified Senior
Evening ODK Members, Jack this is great, we will get to see what you look like 😀, looking forward to it and your television debut.

Former Moderator
Next the 7 Network will be reviving "Wheel Of Fortune" hosted by "baby jack" Burgess

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
What we need is a Aussie invention to beat the Foxtel system, that would change my world

Forum Historian
What we need is a Aussie invention to beat the Foxtel system, that would change my world
G'day Norm
I was thinking about this issue ...

Small AUS film companies rely on Foxtel and the like buying their productions.
Free-to-air seems to attract poor quality stuff now.

Thank God that we still have a national broadcaster, strangled as it is ...
I think that's the real issue here.

I believe in free access to knowledge - but I also understand that
someone must pay for disseminating that knowledge.

So, I'm glad Foxtel bought this production - because it tells us
Aussies about our inventions and our history.

It's a pity that local information is not freely available, as you suggest.

It appears successive governments are pushing user-pay models for
stuff that rightly belongs to us.

Our public broadcasters can no longer afford this.

----------------------------
Jack

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Jack, It was very tongue in cheek, I know somebody has to pay, and free to air picks up the big advertising dollars and then what you get is a lot of rubbish. I often turn the telly off about 8.00pm as there is nothing worth watching. I have the open fire here and my wife has the Foxtel her end of the house and far be it from me to ruffle her feathers. I guess I will be watching the History channel with her while these shows are on.

Forum Historian
I often turn the telly off about 8.00pm as there is nothing worth watching
Hi Norm
Luckily, I don't own a telly.

Yes, she who must be obeyed should not have feathers ruffled.

Cheers
---------------------
Jack

Forum Historian
G'day all Aussie Invention lovers.

I have been advised that my take on Victa did not make the final
cut for the History Chanel ... alas!

But ... Northern Pictures has advised the following: -

Dear Jack,

I hope this finds you well. Firstly thank you again for flying in to participate in our shot for the Victa lawn mower last year. It was a lovely scene that you filmed with Anja Taylor discussing some of Victa's most successful advertising campaigns over the years. In the edit we had an abundance of great material for that story, and unfortunately, in the end we had to lose your scene from the final cut, purely for time. It was a shame, but that scene lives on...

We have delivered it to the network along with a number of other great scenes that couldn't make it into the final cut of the series, and the History channel will be publishing your advertising chat with Anja on its website as part of the digital extras for the show so it will be accessible to all, even people without Foxtel. You will be able to see it at the link below in the week leading up to launch on 24th June, and it will live there for a long time after that.

https://www.historychannel.com.au/shows/aussie-inventions-that-changed-the-world/

We have also had the publicists for Victa lawn mowers in touch, and they are keen to share that scene as part of their promotion for the show and Victa's innovative history online and on social media. Foxtel's Head of Marketing for factual channels, George Mellick, cc'ed here, has supplied them with the clip along with another cut scene and the series promo.

George, Jack Czislowski is a lawn mower historian. Could you share the Home Life promo with Jack closer to launch and let him know about other materials that might be shareable through his network or on HISTORY's facebook page etc? Thank you.

Jack, here's a link to our latest promo which is running on HISTORY for the next couple of weeks.

https://vimeo.com/user9857775/review/337681595/45a90e89be

Many thanks again for your support of the program and our great history of inventiveness!

Kind regards,
Elissa

Elissa McKeand
Executive Producer
Aussie Inventions That Changed The World

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Thanks Jack, sorry you have been cut but I will try and catch the promos. I have booked in the Foxtel shows so hopefully I will get to see them.

Apprentice level 4
G'day everyone,

Sorry to hear your scene didn't make the final cut CyberJack. As long as it's saved and can be viewed somewhere on the internet it will still be great mate!

I was walking through a shopping centre earlier today and I saw an advertisement for this new show up on the big screen tv there. I think they have some sort of Foxtel channel playing most of the day as I usually see the weather reports sometimes as I walk past this screen and it's not a free to air channel but some sort of pay tv channel.

Cheers!

Last edited by Converse; 14/06/19 12:06 AM.

Forum Historian
G'day Converse,
Yes, a thrill to have been involved in this.

Foxtel have released promo images for the Victa Story.
Enthusiasts will understand the significance of the images (Gallery).

Northern Pictures did a great job of both the images of the 'Peach Tin'
and the on-location shots of the machines.

I hope ODK folk watch this series - about us and our inventiveness!

----------------------------------
Jack

Attached Images
18.-AussieInventions-MarkRogers-14.jpg (35.38 KB, 134 downloads)
19.-AussieInventions-MarkRogers-197.jpg (66.14 KB, 135 downloads)
20.-AussieInventions-MarkRogers-202.jpg (36.99 KB, 134 downloads)
21.-OZI_20180215_7D_01_MAX_IMG_5397.jpg (67.52 KB, 130 downloads)
22.-P1230556.jpg (62.27 KB, 130 downloads)
23.-P1240173.jpg (58.59 KB, 130 downloads)
24.-P1240175.jpg (60.79 KB, 129 downloads)
25.-P1240176.jpg (55.4 KB, 130 downloads)
26.-P1240191.jpg (80.78 KB, 130 downloads)
27.-P1240202.jpg (49.71 KB, 129 downloads)
28.-P1240209.jpg (60.37 KB, 129 downloads)
29.-P1240218.jpg (64.24 KB, 130 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day all, preview , a few awesome mowers here smile

Copy and paste address

Cheers Max

Apprentice level 4
G'day everyone,

Just a reminder for those of you that have access to Foxtel that the first episode featuring the Victa lawnmower is on tonight at 7:30pm.

Hopefully someone out there can record or capture this episode and possibly it can be viewed somewhere on the internet for free in a few days time.

Cheers!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sorry Converse, don't know how to.

Apprentice level 4
Hi NormK, that's ok mate, I reckon it will probably turn up somewhere on the web in a few days. I hope they add some extra clips and stuff on their website that's free for everyone to see after this episode goes to air. Cheers!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Interesting show Converse, too many ads, at least as many as free to air. One interesting thing was the rotary clothes hoist started being manufactured in Geelong for 30 years before the patent expired and Lance Hill did an almost exact copy of it and he got all the recognition

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Not sure if the link has been posted in this topic before, but Victa have posted [url=https://www.facebook.com/VictaLawn/videos/634621913724221/]this video[/url] on their facebook (hope the link worked - i cant find another one)

Its Jack's excellent summation of Merv's advertising prowess

Can't seem to get the link to embed
https://www.facebook.com/VictaLawn/videos/634621913724221/

Last edited by Tyler; 25/06/19 12:42 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi CJ, C, T, Pc, BB and NK

Looks a good show, I couldn't get the link to work without copying and pasting the link address .

Here is episode one https://www.facebook.com/FOXTEL/videos/627932817707464/

Download here https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.24130-6/10000000_352677108778376_764745846305949027_n.mp4?_nc_cat=103&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6Im9lcF9oZCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=1a32afe49ef429da4ccbdd56ccac345c&oe=5DBE5DA7

Cheers
Max.

Former Moderator
Hi All,

Must admit the Toyne story was really interesting and an actual eye opener. Most men would've totally lost it with everything that happened to Gilbert. Suddenly I've lost so much respect for Hills Industries.

As far as Victa is concerned it could've been far more indepth and it's obvious that plenty was cut out in the final cut.

The Caroma story was the smallest, but in saying that it's really hard to get excited about a toilet flushing system isn't it ?

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That's Australian documentaries for you. Dumbed down for non intellectual Aussie viewers our tv networks and production houses cater to these days. I had a feeling I wasn't missing much. The only way we would have got something truly special not to be missed was if an overseas production covered our inventions. It's a sad reality.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
And when you google it Lance Hill gets all the credit for inventing the rotary clothes hoist, Gilbert does not get a mention. Hill just cashed in on it when Gilbert let the patent lapse after the second world war

Qualified Senior
Thanks Max 👍

Forum Historian
G'day all
It was a great production to be a part of.

And when you google it Lance Hill gets all the credit for inventing the rotary clothes hoist, Gilbert does not get a mention.
Hey Norm, and this does show that this series did not dumb-it down as such ...

I think there was a genuine desire to get history right - and show more detail.
Yes, commercial reality means that so much would remain unsaid in the final cut.
But so much more was said!!!

Many thanks to Tyler and Max for the thoughtful words and links.

The rest is history.
-----------------------------------
Jack

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I've just started watching the link Max provided on Facebook, and got 20 seconds in and started laughing

Audio has engine going, but the throttle is in the off position haha. Although in fairness, we wouldn't be able to hear her talk over the engine haha.

No one else would notice, but I found it funny

The segment was alright, but I concur with CyberJack's comment 'commercial reality means that so much would remain unsaid in the final cut.' They packed in a good amount of content for the 13 odd minutes they had

Last edited by Tyler; 26/06/19 12:45 AM.
Apprentice level 4
G'day everyone,

Thanks for those links Maxwestern and Tyler, great segment there with CyberJack watching the classic Victa tv ads on that old television set!

Hi CyberJack is there any way you can access or can get hold of all the Victa tv commercials mate? It would be great if they were all made available on the internet for people to all see.

Cheers!

Forum Historian
They packed in a good amount of content for the 13 odd minutes they had
Hi Tyler,
That's my view, anyway. But the series certainly added to the record.
Well done Northern Pictures! https://northernpictures.com.au/

great segment there with CyberJack watching the classic Victa tv ads on that old television set!
Hi Converse,
I have to admit, that was a digital screen mounted behind a 1950s TV set.
This was courtesy of a Sydney prop shop.

Hi CyberJack is there any way you can access or can get hold of all the Victa tv commercials mate?
No Converse, I remain frustrated at copyright impediments.
I have access to stuff, but it cannot be made public at this time. Yeah, silly.

Thanks to those who continue to support this AUS series on
our inventions - that changed the World.

-----------------------------
Jack

Apprentice level 4
G'day CyberJack,

Thanks for that mate, you know I have a few good old Rank Arena analogue tv sets here that are as tough as the old Victa 2 strokes! They just keep on working, the only reason I put them away is because they switched off the good old analogue tv signals some years ago now. I even have a few old VHS players to watch video's on the old sets.

Oh well it was worth a try with the old Victa tv commercials mate. I found a box with some old recorded VHS tapes in hard rubbish about a week ago, I am hoping they have quite a few old shows recorded on them with tv ads possibly from the 80's and 90's. If I find any outdoor equipment ads I think they will be getting uploaded onto youtube...lol

Cheers!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ha Converse,
I recently found an NEC 6 head VCR complete with remote and chewed tape inside. After performing surgery and careful removal , I found it played other tapes fine and even watched one of the VHS ex rental tapes I found with it on my LCD flatscreen television!
I forgot how fun it is seeing previews of other movies beforehand, in this case nearly 20 minutes before the main feature!! LOL!! It was Dr Jekyll and Ms Hyde starring Sean Young from 1995. The cover still has the Video Ezy "Weekly" yellow label on it haha for the extra nostalgia factor.
It's surprising how forgiving you can be with picture quality (lack of) when you're following the story and the general nostalgia factor that goes with it.
It brought be back to video rental shop days. I forgot how great they were.

Last edited by Mowerfreak; 27/06/19 12:45 AM.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
We still have the Panasonic VCR permanently plugged into the LCD flat screen.

I use a 1980's VCR with the 1970's Audiosonic black and white TV (no red white yellow plug) that was originally my great grandfathers.

And then there is the the old woodgrain Awa telly, and the Betamax - although the only tape I can seem to find is Micheal Jackson 'Thriller'

Also have the transistor radio on every morning

Last edited by Tyler; 27/06/19 01:04 AM.
Apprentice level 4
G'day Mowerfreak,

Haha yes those days were great! One of the VHS tapes in this box I found is also an ex-rental from Blockbuster video! Still has the blue and yellow sticker on the tape.

I love the old classic stuff mate. I have kept many older things here as I guess it takes me back to better times that I remember, and also the stuff that we grew up with.

The only reason I grabbed this box in hard rubbish was because I saw them sitting on top of an open box as I drove past. Otherwise I wouldn't have got them. They had been sitting in the rain for most of the day and I took them out of the paper covers and placed them in the shed to dry out for a few days...lol They are great as you don't know what's on them, and if your lucky there could even be recorded tv shows and tv ads from the early 80's on them right through until a few years ago when they switched off the analogue tv signals. Some of the labels on the tapes I have found I remember are from blank tapes that were sold here in the 80's.

Cheers!

Apprentice level 4
Hi Tyler,

I still have an old Panasonic VHS player here that I bought brand new from JB HI FI I reckon around 1998 sometime. These days it just sits here displaying the time, although it's still connected to this computer with the TV capture card from years ago when I was uploading old VHS stuff onto youtube. It's great as I can just chuck a tape in and watch it on this computer, and capture anything from that tape and put it onto youtube.

Speaking of Betamax tapes, I also did years ago purchase a Sony Betamax player and a box of old tapes from a guy on ebay as I was planning to go through them and upload any old tv ads I found onto youtube. For one reason or another I never got around to doing it and the player and all the tapes have been sitting in the shed for many years now.

Cheers!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Converse and Tyler, I'm a bit of an astronomy nut and bought the entire series of BBC's The Planets on VHS. When I went to copy them onto DVD I discovered one of the tapes had been crinkled up inside the cassette case. I carefully opened it up and spliced out the damaged tape and carefully stuck it together with sticky tape on the side that doesn't face the spinning drum inside and successfully copied it onto a blank DVD so I could play it at my leasure without worrying about tapes as it was very valuable to me. I lost about two seconds which are barely noticeable luckily. You have to carefully note where the tape threads between the reels inside before re assembly. I used a junk tape as a guide when I lost track!

Apprentice level 4
Hi Mowerfreak,

Ha that's a classic mate, takes me back reading that! I think back then you could even buy a tape splicing repair kit from various retailers. I also think I did that to a tape or 2 many years ago that got chewed up on an older VCR...lol.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Deejay 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545