Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
2 members (NormK, Rogerv5), 296 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Forum Historian
Hello Members

Victa have announced the end of the 2-stroke will occur this year.
They announced this on December 7, 2016.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by CyberJack; 28/07/19 06:49 PM.
Membership information
Former Moderator
wow !!!

Nearly $600 for a 2 stroker, don't think that will be overly successful.

Honestly most new mower purchasers have long opted for a 4 stroke machine all day long as there's no more messy fuel mixing and smoke choking situations along with noisy sound output, thus why the demise of this format in the first instance.

Basically they are no longer seen as environmentally friendly when machines are going back to either 4 cycle engines or electrically powered units which are so much quieter on a Sunday morning.

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
What are people going to do on slopes? Buy a second electric mower just to do them?
A couple of years ago I had heard (OBVIOUSLY FALSE)rumours that Victa had halted production of two strokes and when I asked a mower shop employee if it was true, he said not as far as he knew and brought up the point of 2 strokes being useful for the many sloped conditions which Australia has.

Can anyone also verify what a friend told me that he's heard that soon after Briggs & Stratton took over (and will probably run into the ground) there were rubbish skips outside Victa's factory, filled to the brim with discarded brand new Powertorques.
It made me sick to the stomach.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Former Moderator
Hi Mowerfreak,

That wouldn't surprise me at all, just in my own field of expertise, it was amazing what Rover did to Scott Bonnar by discarding many things to change to their own way of thinking and also the marketing model that they work to.

This always happens with corporate takeovers.

I'm just wondering how blowers and brush cutters work with 4 cycle engines as they require a sump, oil pump etc. and these tools are used at all different angles where the two stroke was so adaptable, but from the general mowing point of view I can't see a 4 stroke not being able to do most things that a two stroke does.

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
LRT Offline
Qualified Junior
The other thing is that the battery powered OPE tools such as what Stihl are marketing will work on the angles that a 4 stroker can't.

However, most people around here use a brush cutter/line trimmer on the hilly areas rather than a 2 stroke mower.

Forum Historian
G'day Mod BB, MF and LRT

I feel the 4-stroke mower makers are correct in saying their
engines will operate on any 'safe' slope. The safety factor goes
to the safety of the user; not the engine.

It is no surprise cutters/trimmers have won this use application anyway.
4-stroke engines that run clever reservoir/pump designs
can accommodate any angle of operation - just like in aerobatic
aircraft engines, I guess?

Cheers
----------------
Jack

LRT Offline
Qualified Junior
Usually aerobatic engines use a 'dry' sump lubrication system rather than a conventional 'wet' sump design to prevent oil starvation.

They also use fuel injection rather than a carby as the float closes the needle and shuts off the fuel when flying inverted.

That is the risky thing when doing loops with the Tiger Moths, as when you reached the top of the loop the fuel shuts off and sometimes the needle would stick shut. You then had to dive towards the ground to use the extra air speed to turn the engine over to try and re-start it, as they didn't have a starter motor. An interesting experience no doubt!

LRT Offline
Qualified Junior
Is it worth buying a complete mower to store away or just buy a new 2 stroke engine at half the cost?

Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
Can anyone also verify what a friend told me that he's heard that soon after Briggs & Stratton took over (and will probably run into the ground) there were rubbish skips outside Victa's factory, filled to the brim with discarded brand new Powertorques.
It made me sick to the stomach.

Briggs bought Victa from GUD Holdings Limited in 2008, so they've been the owners for a while now.

It wouldn't surprise me if the scrapping rate was very high for the early Chinese produced PowerTorque blocks, but that was some years earlier.

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
LRT, no point in buying a motor to store away, you can rebuild a 2 stroke Victa for a few pennies, so if you really felt the need rebuild a few and you will have plenty of motors stored away to see your days out. Problem is by the time people who really need a 2 stroke will not know they are not available till it is too late. The problem with using a dry sump motor in a small engine is that it requires 2 oil pumps a scavenge pump to pull the oil back from the sump and a feed pump to pump the oil back to the big end, which then drops to the bottom of the sump, splashed over the bore and bearings and then picked up by the scavenge pump to go the cycle again. Far too complex for a mower or whipper snipper. I know a few are claiming 4 stroke whipper snippers but as AVB said recently they are seeing them now coming into the shop, suffering oil starvation resulting in terminal damage

prd Offline
MOD & GREENFIELD TECHNICIAN
Evening all,

BB raised the subject of emission standards earlier. Where are we at in this country with regards this in relation to powered outdoor products?

Cheers,

LRT Offline
Qualified Junior
Yes I thought as much. The people near here who still want Victas usually have side throws rather than a catcher as they're 'turning grass into lawn' and not wanting to empty the catcher every few feet. You're right about people not realising in time. I couldnt find any second hand ones for sale when I last looked. They turn up at the scrap metal places but not only do you have to have the spare time, you have to be really quick before someone takes it.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
LRT, I'm doing my best to salvage as many 2 strokes as I can and I am slowly convincing people the advantages of a tough 2 stroke over the 4 stroke. I have sold quite a number of them and often get people ring back saying the can't believe the way a 2 stroke will rip into long grass.

Trainee
I have seen the green mower already on sale at Stanfords was tempted but didn't buy it.

Yesterday is history
Tommorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift
That is why it is called the present.
Originally Posted by prd
Evening all,

BB raised the subject of emission standards earlier. Where are we at in this country with regards this in relation to powered outdoor products?
The current state of play is here: http://www.environment.gov.au/protection/air-quality/national-clean-air-agreement

From the Nov 2016 Mid-term Report linked there, the emission standards are under development, after which Commonwealth legislation will be drawn up to enable enforcement of these.

Current timeline is for this process to be complete in 2018:
In parallel to this process, the Department continues to engage with industry stakeholders in developing
the emission standards themselves. The standards are anticipated to come into effect in 2018.

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
LRT Offline
Qualified Junior
Yes it looks great. Very tempting. smile

If I were buying some I'd get one each of these rather than a catcher type.

MSV562 Mulchmaster 560 ($1,299.00 RRP)
[Linked Image]

MSP602 Mastercut 600 ($1,655.00 RRP)
[Linked Image]

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Why are they worth so much?
Do local councils still buy these? I recall council workers starting a utility up back in 88 and the powerful sound it made along with the whirr of the blades was phenominal!
Geez I have a lot of stand out Victa memories from the 1988/89 period!

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
LRT Offline
Qualified Junior
I don't know. The Ballarat council still use Deutscher walk behinds I think. The Deutscher HE660 is $4,500 RRP!
[Linked Image]

Former Moderator
I'll have to say that wood heaters are far more pollution orientated than any two stroke motor and from what I'm reading this is all about new machinery and not retro-ing legislation back to existing stuff out there.

I guess they feel that natural attrition will get rid of all the older gear over time as we are seeing plenty of Victa's hitting the scrap yards with their flimsy rusted out chassis's.

Honestly it's the stinkin' wood heaters that piss me off at night when the stench just hangs around and you can't leave clothes out on the line overnight.

Wow someone still using a Deutscher out there. I thought all Councils had done away with them and gone to ride ons which are far easier on the body and also allow for some circle work fun.

I must admit as Norm suggested it's true how a two strokers will power on through tough going stuff opposed to 4 strokes that just stall and toss in the towel.

Cheers,
BB.

LRT Offline
Qualified Junior
No its not mine! Thats a picture is taken off their website.

Although I do have a 1970's FH model with a broken gearbox shaft that I plan to rebuild when I get the time.

Here's an FH model I re-powered early last year for a customer.

[Linked Image]

I do have a better picture of it with the belt cover on but I can't find it at the moment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Deejay 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545