Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
2 members (noileg, NormK), 306 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#74115 30/03/16 12:28 AM
grl Offline OP
Novice
Just wondering if anyone has a pointer to a history of Greenfield models. A mention elsewhere of them stopping part stocks for older models has me wondering about my Greenfield Evolution III 10.5/30 and just how old it is exactly.

Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I don't think the Evolution ones would be a problem, I can't remember if he said it was 20 or 25 year old models they were dropping, probably 25 years. I think that would mean up to and including the Anniversary models

25 years of parts support, according to their website.

It's a bit difficult really to try to construct a dated model timeline for Greenfields. It doesn't help that there aren't even publication dates on the Parts Lists that ODK have been able to obtain.

We can say for sure that the Anniversary models came out in 1987, as that was the 21st anniversary of the firm's start.
I'd guess that the Evolution 2000 came out in that year, but I'm not sure where it fits in the overall Evo series...

And that the earliest models were the:

HD-x [x=nominal horsepower; 6 or 8] Series 1 Red, all G65 Honda engines; Series 2 Yellow, G65 Honda or Fuji Robin EY25D.
1967-early 1970's. It's been said on ODK that there was a slightly different version for 1966 only, but no example has so far turned up.

Mini-Tractor series; 5 and 8 hp Briggs vertical shaft recoil start, with 160cc Victa industrial engine as an alternative [never seen one of those!]. Early 1970's

Tractor-x series; model numbers x VR for recoil start, x VE for electric. All Briggs vertical shaft engines - 5, 8 and 10 hp; the 10 was later replaced by 11hp. Mid 1970's

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
So Gadge was it only the HD series that had the horizontal shaft motors?

prd Offline
MOD & GREENFIELD TECHNICIAN
Morning Norm and Gadge,

Lurking in these pages is photos of a machine which has the look of a Tractor series but has a horizontal shaft.
Two possibilities: somebody got very creative one stormy night and with Igor's help created a monster!....or
There was an 'interim' model between the HD and tractor. As I recall it had a 'deeper' looking white 'headlight' surround on the engine cowl. Perhaps this is a clue?

Gadge?

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
prd,
As far as I can work out the deeper headlight surround is the Mini Tractor series but I often see them fitted with Anniversary model parts so it is difficult to tell if they are Anniversary models fitted with Mini Tractor bits or the other way around. I think the Mini Tractor had the drive chain on the right and the Anniversary on the left. I have a feeling it is the early HD series that was fitted with the horizontal shaft motor. I have not seen one in person to get a good look at

G'day Folks,
From what I recall [family business was a Greenfield dealership 1973-83], only the early HD series were fitted with horizontal shaft engines.

prd, found the one you mention - it's in THIS old ODK thread, by poster 'lister'.

I'm convinced that this one's a franken-Greenfield, put together starting from a Tractor-x [note the cast alloy bonnet front/'headlight surround' - the Mini-Tractors didn't have that] chassis and tinware, by someone who had a parts HD-8 on hand to supply the major cutter clutch bits. And the RH throw cutter deck...

The vertical shaft Honda GV400 didn't come out until around 1979, so Greenfield was essentially Briggs only for a few years. That Victa engine - whatever were they thinking? crazy

Cheers,
Gadge

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
prd Offline
G'day Gadge, Norm, et al,

This one has puzzled me for a while. My submission, honourable members of the jury, is that it's a HECK of a lot of trouble to go to in order to Frankenstein a HD and Tractor. Gadge quite rightly points out the different blade throw direction. Why would someone do this?

Also, the extra 3 flutes across the front of the engine cowl will give an additional two (?) inches of space for a horizontal shaft engine. I've not seen this high style headlight fixture on any other machines. Like I said, I've been puzzling over this one for a while, and personally I'm angling towards an interim model. My key query being: has anyone seen this high style headlights casting before on a vertical shaft model?

I just really enjoy these kinds of puzzles. Hope y'all do too.

Cheers,

Yeah, some of these 'tenant improvement' jobs can be quite intriguing, for sure. confused

Well, here's a quite original [going by the engine date] Tractor-8 - barring the seat! From THIS old thread.

[Linked Image]

Another point with the franken-Greenfield is that it was originally electric start - the battery went behind the steering column, and there's a pull-out panel for checking electrolyte level. Recoil only versions didn't have that panel, and the cowl didn't extend back as far from the steering column. Easily seen in the other pics in the Tractor-8 thread.

The GX240 on it hasn't got electric start [starter would be visible on the mower RHS], and came out in 1986, so maybe a bit late-model as well. I feel that's conclusive evidence that it wasn't original ex-factory, really.

I can't remember ever seeing a 'sloper' OHV horizontal shaft Honda fitted to a Greenfield, and we were selling a fair few of them back then. Particularly after the electric start Briggs versions came out.

Cheers,
Gadge

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
So what are you saying Gadge, the green one above with the headlight surround is not a mini tractor but a model 8? all very confusing

prd Offline
Morning folks,

Firstly I'd like to acknowledge that my query in relation to the larger style light surround was, well, silly. A quick look at some photos and a check of the Tactor 11 I've got in the shed as a parts tree confirms all the 11's (and I suppose 10's) have it. I'm a silly billy.

Given that no one has seen a beast like Frankengreenie before suggests your right Gadge.......but.......I just can't shake the feeling. To make that beast would have been a colossal feat. Probably would have needed TWO Igor's on that project. Looking at the front in detail the axle beam appears to be raised for belt clearance with the stub axles needing to be lengthened, the steering push rod is on the LH side (HD style) where Tractors have it on the right, the axle beam looks to be HD style too. Etc.

And the job just looks so neat/ professional. Also a rebodied horizontal shaft machine would have been a logical (if short lived) progression in the evolution of the design.

On the subject of the engine, possibly it could have originally had a B&S for example and have been re-engined?

I'll leave it there and we'll call it a Frankengreenie....but I'll continue to harbour quiet personal suspicions.

Norm, the Minis were a low slung looking thing with a small wheel diameter. They shared a lot of componentry with their bigger brothers (including the basic frame). They had a plain cowl styling. Judging purely from the styling of the front of the catalogue, they came along, I think, at the end of the HD's and may have overlapped with their production at the end and before the bigger Tractors. The mini 5 was continued in production with the bigger Tractors into the late 70's and I guess early 80's? They're a funny little thing. Superdooper has one

Gadge, as I wrote the above paragraph I realised I was potentially unravelling my own argument above about the evolution of the design. I guess there might still have been room in there for Theo to muck about with the idea of horizontal shaft successor to the HD?

Cheers,

Last edited by prd; 01/04/16 06:36 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I always thought the headlight surround was plastic and I could not understand why they were always complete and not smashed up. The fact they were made of alloy is the reason, but they must have been a costly component to manufacture and use as a bonnet ornament. I guess they had a good deal going with the company making the cutting decks so the bit on the front probably didn't cost them too much extra

prd Offline
And just to muddy the waters on that score too, my parts beastie (the 11) has a Fibreglass one! Looks original build but I can't say that I've ever seen another one

Originally Posted by NormK
So what are you saying Gadge, the green one above with the headlight surround is not a mini tractor but a model 8? all very confusing

Yep, not a 'Mini Tractor 8', but rather a 'Tractor-8', which was the next model.

For reference, here's a pic of the 'Mini Tractor' from the Greenfield IPL cover:
[Linked Image]

The Mini Tractor specs were:- 5 [Model 130902] and 8hp [191702] Briggs vertical shaft engines, or Victa 160cc; recoil start only. 25" or 28" [8hp model only] LH throw cutter deck.

Cheers,
Gadge

Apprentice level 4
This is my HD8

[Linked Image]

And My mini Tractor 8 75 model

[Linked Image]

Regards,
Paul

Such is life.......
Nothing better than a "GreenField" just mowed..
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Paul, do you know if there is any picture chart somebody may have made up that actually shows all the various Greenfield models. They all get so hazy with various mods and repairs done over the years

Apprentice level 4
Not that I know of... I'm lead to believe not much in the way of record keeping was a priority.

I get most of my info from my local Greenfield dealer & a bloke called Ken Harris (parts) from Greenfield factory, in QLD

This is my 84 model 11/30.... GV400 Honda powered

[Linked Image]

Regards,
Paul

Such is life.......
Nothing better than a "GreenField" just mowed..
prd Offline
Folks,

Just a quick note to reopen this thread in relation to PhippH's machine.....

Novice
Hi fellas,I've made a quick trip to Swansea (Tas).The old greenie was here waiting for me & fired up with first flick of the key . Here's some pics for you, hope it helps solve the mystery. Hope I've got it right,bare with me.

Novice
Must be remote area out of range,post tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545