Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 274 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Apprentice level 3
Originally Posted by NormK
Patrick, 55 years ago Australia was still using the imperial system so those nuts require Whitworth spanners and sockets.

Thanks Norm,

I had pretty well figured as much and been perusing the thread chart on the wall at work. With spanner sizes I hope they don't use crazy dimensions like 13/64" and the like. Thought the AF imperials would fit.

Originally Posted by Kye Turnbull
All good Patrick, I thought you were going to drill holes into the base and bolt something in, i got scared!!!

No worries Kye, I understand the value in conserving Eric seeing as we don't seem to have another.

Originally Posted by CyberJack
That is a nice colour combo.
Perhaps a wooden spacer and then bolt basket to frame?
p.s. ... and great photos!
I love the garden ornaments inspecting the tools.
A bit similar to the gnomes...

Hi Jack,

Yes the colour sche!e was almost 'meant to be'. I measured up the clearance between the handle base and when at Bunglings looked for a box (with the trusty tape measure) that would fit. Lo and behold, the orange crate/bin was just the right size, right colour and right price! My daughter even liked the colour!! If necessay I can actually bolt the bin to the engine mounting ring, just need some holes in the bin's base.

The garden ornaments were here when I arrived and are very interested in anything new that appears in 'their' domain. They may yet do more inspections.

I did notice Rota-Rola's gnome fan club too!

Patrick
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Patrick, a mix of A/F and Metric sockets will sort of fit but if you are serious about working on this old stuff you really need a few Whitworth sockets and spanners. 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 Whit. 1/4 is the most common on these type of mowers

Originally Posted by Pitrack_1
This week- (Mar 1st week)
Handle nuts

This week I needed to remove the handle, filter and (importantly) original throttle + cable. I also removed the chute cover to protect it from damage. When I went to remove the handle bolts I found this wonderful improvisation or engineering/industrial design. I can only assume it was the "Nyloc" before "Nyloc' was invented. Someone's had a good 'go' at one in the past...
[Linked Image from i1222.photobucket.com]
Amazing!!! Am I right or can someone correct me?
Those turn out to be 'Philidas turret nuts', which are still made by the original company in the UK; http://www.philidas.com/

The Whitworth hex sizes follow a unique dimensional progression, which doesn't fit in with either of the AF [SAE or ISO metric] systems. Part of the reason for this, is that Sir Joseph Whitworth's system was the very first designed, standardised fastener thread and hex system to exist - he introduced it in 1841, under the limitations of the materials and available bar stock sizes of the time.
Some of the history: http://www.enginehistory.org/british_fasteners.shtml

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
And then we can get into threads where Villiers were such a big organization that they decided to make their own thread sizes in house now called Villiers threads. Enfield in India were still using this thread till 2008, they just followed on from when Enfield England used this thread in the 40's and 50's

I haven't encountered that with Villiers, but they had the choice of the more obscure Brit threads, such as BSC [Brit Standard Cycle], its predecessor 'Cycle Engineers Institute', and of course BSB [Brit Standard Brass].

Wouldn't surprise me if they used a few of those here and there; they certainly did use BSC on engines.

A few machine manufacturers deliberately used only proprietary threads - Singer sewing machines are probably the best-known example, in their older models. Engineers of old termed them 'SBC' threads - Singer Bastard Cross!

And Enfield - your mention of them reminds me of the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield, who were notorious for using bastard threads. Have look at the listing HERE.

They also used two different inch standards - the Enfield Inch and the Imperial Inch, which are 0.0003" different...

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Apprentice level 3
Thanks Norm and Gadge,

I'll investigate Whitworth tools through the techs at work tomorrow. Already seen the (old) screw/bolt sets.

Patrick
Apprentice level 4
Why not just get a set of Metrinch. They grip the sides just past the points. They are a universal fit and suit metric and imperial. I would expect they would have to work on anything.

This
Is going straight to the pool room.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I haven't really looked around for Whit spanners recently and the only place I have seen them is from India

Apprentice level 4
Head to the sunday market. If you pick through the second hand tools old blokes sell you will quite often turn them up.

This
Qualified Senior
I bought myself a nice little Kirby KV-30 today. Has a Turner tag on it, possibly of the Turner version of the Eric!
Also got a nice Victa BP tin and the Pace hubcaps I needed for my Pace Super.

Expect another "this weekends scores" post tomorrow afternoon or tonight, I am picking up a mower I have been waiting all week for that I am sure you will all like.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can't work out how to make images straight, no matter which way I hold the camera it never ends up right on ODK. The second image doesn't have the Pace hubcap since I had already put it on my Pace when I tried to re-take the picture.
Thanks For Reading!
Kye.

Last edited by CyberJack; 14/03/16 06:24 PM. Reason: Image rotation.

Thanks for reading!
Apprentice level 3
Hi Kye,

Wow! I don't know how you find these things so efficiently, well done!

And thank-you for the heads-up on the gasket set, it has now arrived safely.

We had that exact mower can when I was young.

If your photos are on a camera/PC (like me) I can help, but if they're on your phone that can be more difficult as they're all different. The phone often tries to detect which way is up, this works for straight horizontal/vertical but hold it at a diagonal angle and it can get confused. There may be an 'auto-rotate' option to turn on/off. These will generally only do 90� increments. Otherwise you may need (or have) a simple photo editor built in that you can use to force a rotation (and cropping) before uploading.

The Lauson one's pretty straight.

I tend to download my photos to a PC, crop, rotate (often by 1-3�) and reduce them before uploading. Tedious, but allows those strange 60's-movies-type angles to be corrected!

Cheers,

Patrick
Qualified Senior
My problem seems to be when I upload them to ODK, they are straight until then.

Thanks for reading!
Forum Historian
Hi Kye

It is more likely to be what you are uploading them from.
From a PC it should work fine (as Patrick says).

-------------------
Jack

Apprentice level 3
Eric's Bucket list
I had plans to dismantle the Corvette/premier 160 on a sunny Canberra autumn afternoon, but with my head spinning like a top from some virus all I could manage was a late afternoon upgrade for Eric.

Eric continues his current sojourn as a garden assistant. With bucket-mounting V0.1-Alpha looking decidedly untidy, I decided to upgrade to V1.0Beta- a tidier, sounder fixture by using some stainless pan-head screws, nuts and washers through the original engine bolt holes:

The reason they're not centred in the bucket is 'cos the engine mount isn't centred in the mower base- it's further towards the front and the bolt holes may be slight offset/unevenly spaced too. But it appears rock solid so version-Beta may actually be a release version.

So with fading light I was able to take one evening shot of the bucket's new, stable mounting. Ready hopefully to be put into action tomorrow for autumn's fertiliser round!
Cheers,

Patrick
Qualified Senior
Looking good Patrick, I should get all my mowers out this afternoon for a sunset shot, would look great with the mountains in the background.

[Linked Image]

Grass is mowed now the that rubbish in the background has been taken to the dump so this time it can be perfect! Unless it rains....

Thanks For Reading!
Kye.

Thanks for reading!
Apprentice level 4
That's a bloody nice backdrop you've got there Kye.

This
Forum Historian
Brilliant! smile

I love both photo compositions.
The children's book would be titled "Eric & his Garden Friends".
What shenanigans they get up to after dark!

Great lighting in Kye's 'Pacemaker' photo too.

------------------------
Jack

Apprentice level 4
There was a short lived kids TV program about Larry the Lawn mower. He had several friends one was Tangles the hose. (I have young kids)

This
Qualified Senior
Thanks Slash, before my dad cut all the trees down it was just forest. Lighting looks great in the afternoons!

Thanks for reading!
Apprentice level 3
Eric in more fertile (actually, fertilising) pastures...
Eric meets Osmocote. With Eric and my daughter's help, the autumn fertilisation round has been done. A bit of rain and everything'll go nuts (for Canberra) over the next month or two.

Patrick
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,653