Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Novice
Hello all,
I'm lining up a couple of Victa Tilt a Cut edgers to look at but I'd like to know what the differences are between the models over the years so that I at least can pretend to know what I'm looking at when I go meet with the sellers.

I found these photos on the web and was wondering if someone knew the differences between these three?
Also, which model is the oldest one and if possible, which one has more parts still available?

cheers.

EDIT: (Images not working for some reason) confused

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Membership information
Apprentice level 3
The top one is a gear start (full crank). The other two are both power torques and look pretty similar to me. The power torques came after the full cranks. The power torque chassis is bigger and heavier also. I prefer the power torque model for this reason but others will like the older model better because it is smaller and lighter - all comes down to your personal preference. They both do an excellent job.

I have both models so if you want any side by side photos for comparison I can post some up. cheers2

Last edited by rolla16v; 24/09/13 05:05 PM. Reason: Correction
1 member likes this: Random Brad Creator
Administrator - Master Technician
Hi to Phantoma and Michael, the top machine is a gear start engine, I think from memory that came after the Series 80 TAC...but, I could be wrong....
Here's some pics of my Series 80, you will see the difference in the cowling and wheels and colour scheme....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Apprentice level 3
My apologies Phantoma, Deejay is correct, it's definitely a gear start!

Novice
Thanks guys,

So the top one could be a later model than the bottom two?

I'm glad it doesn't matter which one they are selling and all I need to do is choose the one that is in better condition.

I hope they are still available for sale in a few days time because I can't get to either seller until the weekend. The nearest one is 45 minutes away and I don't get home from work until after 6pm.

Last edited by Phantoma; 24/09/13 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Apprentice level 3
Of the pictures posted so far in this thread... I believe Deejay's should be the earliest, followed by the one in your top picture (orange base) and the newest models are the 'power torques' in your bottom two pictures (grey and red bases).

Novice
Thanks rolla16v, I found out today that one of the sellers has an older (smaller) model for $180 and a newer one (larger) for $220. Both are apparently in good cond and start and run well. He just wants to sell one of them and he doesn't care which one he keeps. The other seller has the older model (smaller) one but it's been in the shed for several years and isn't running and he wants $50 for it. I wonder if I should buy the older model from the first seller and then buy the $50 one as a parts machine? Are important parts still available for these edgers?

Hi Phantoma, In my humble opinion, the full crank Victas are a better proposition than the 'Power-Torque' because the full crank means what it says, it has a full crankshaft; from top to bottom, supported by bearings; whereas the Power-Torque is a half shaft like the Ryobi and Homelite whipper snippers...don't let me mislead you they are a good engine, but I prefer a full crankshaft, like the original Victa engines. wink

It is was it says, an edger...I don't consider, (with my respect for Michael's point of view), weight to be an issue....and engine parts for the early (other than the special flywheel that all full crank T-A-C's possess) are still available at present.
In my opinion, the Series 80 (what you refer to as the smaller) is the way to go and as you say, purchase the other for parts....that could not only help you, but, down the track, someone else...if you find everything is running sweetly.
Joe Carroll, our Victa guru, will help you get it running sweetly, with your help.... wink
Well, that's my 2 bobs worth,
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Apprentice level 3
Phantoma, I had the same dilemma as you when it came to purchasing a tilt a cut, which is why I bought two (I actually have 3 at the moment). I like to road test them both before I decide what I like best wink I figure if i buy for the right price I will always get my money back!

Obviously this is not always practical so I'll post up some side by side pictures for the archives in case yourself or any other members in the future are interested.

I have to agree with Deejay that the full crank is a better engine than the power torque (although they have never given me trouble if maintained).

Another tip, I find the round circular blades are much nicer to use if you need a replacement grin

Originally Posted by rolla16v
Another tip, I find the round circular blades are much nicer to use if you need a replacement grin

Absolutely correct Michael, the circular blade is the only way to go....I could not believe the difference when I replaced the straight blade with the circular....my machine now almost is self-propelled....it pulls itself (not the best terminologylol ).... along, and leaves a fantastic finish! grin
cheers2

Apprentice level 3
Here's some pics of 2 similar units from the first, post side by side for comparison..

[Linked Image from i95.photobucket.com]

Note that the left hand machine is missing its belt cover.

Also my power torque has a standard flywheel the same as a mower and has a larger pulley underneath like this:

Hope this helps someone in the future cheers2

Novice
Thanks for those photos rolla16v,
I like the little victa edger. I'm going to ask the seller if he'll part with that one and I phoned the other seller with the $50 one which won't start and he said he'll hold it for me.

Btw, that's really nice lawn you have there. smile

This is the $50 one that won't start.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Deejay; 26/09/13 07:34 AM. Reason: Normalize pic
For $50 John, I would have a punt on it, between us, I reckon you could have a fully functioning Victa T-A-Cut with a little help here...(We may need some help here, Joe Carroll wink ) I think Joe will forgive me.....I hope so mate! lol ... That is a full crank gear start 160cc... they rock!!
I'm sure Joe will chime in here....
cheers2

Novice
[quote=Deejay]For $50 John, I would have a punt on it, between us, I reckon you could have a fully functioning Victa T-A-Cut with a little help here.....
:cheers2:[/quote]

I agree Darryl.
Even if the seller with the two Victa edgers all of a sudden decides he wants to sell me the bigger one and keep the smaller one for himself then I'll buy the bigger one, because I need a running edger asap, and then I'll go see this other seller and buy the $50 one as a side project for restoration.
:D

Last edited by Phantoma; 26/09/13 08:40 AM. Reason: punctuation
Novice
Just an Update,

I'm meeting with both sellers tomorrow. The first seller has the $50 one that won't start (been in the shed for several years) and the other seller with the two different TAC edgers in good working condition (no photos available).

I'm so tempted to choose the bigger/newer edger from the second seller so then I'll have one of each.
:D

cheers. :)

Last edited by Phantoma; 27/09/13 07:17 PM.
Hi John, yes mate, then you'll have the best of both worlds, a full-crank and a Power-Torque engined T-A-Cut. wink
Good luck and good hunting mate!
Looking forward to the pics.,
cheers2

Novice
Hi Darryl.
I ended up with one Victa edger and one Pionex edger in mint condition. The $50 Victa edger actually starts and runs well after a new spark plug and some fresh fuel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After using both edgers I have to say I like the Pionex more because it's quieter, heavier and feels more solid. I still intend on keeping the Victa and I'll just use a different edger on mowing days.

cheers.
smile

Last edited by Joe Carroll; 07/10/13 03:46 AM.
Hi John, and congrats on some great scores there mate! I have never seen a Pionex edger before...but it appears to be a sturdy machine. Does it have swing back blades?
Glad to see that the T-A-Cut is up and running for you. As I have said before, once you get used to using them you will be very happy with the finish. wink
cheers2

Novice
Hi Darryl,
No the Pionex doesn't have a pivoting blade like the Victa does.

cheers.
:)

Last edited by Phantoma; 08/10/13 07:30 PM.
Hi John, here is a reply by Bruce (our forum site owner) referring to straight blades without movement ...could be of interest to you...for safety's sake...Click HERE
cheers2

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794