Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Hop To
Deejay Offline OP
Administrator - Master Technician
Hi to All,
Whilst carrying out some routine maintenance recently, I discovered the captive cotter pin (clamping pin), that secures the inner cutter clutch half to the free end of the engine crank-shaft, was protruding from its captive position by almost 1/2" (12.5mm). shocked

Alarmed that it might leave the cutter clutch completely at engine high speed (3600 RPM) and injuring me (a captive cotter with washer and nut attached striking me in the groin at speed would be extremely painful, to say the least cry) or damage the machine, an investigation needed to be carried out to ascertain the cause.

This means removing the engine and cutter clutch from the chassis. I spoke to Joe Carroll and we decided to do another SB video of the removal process, so that our members can see how relatively easy it is to accomplish and so that SB owners can see the internals of the cutter clutch assembly. wink

I will post some still pics tomorrow of what we found when the cutter clutch was disassembled.
Many thanks again Joe! grin
cheers2

[video]
[/video]

Last edited by CyberJack; 21/04/17 11:44 AM. Reason: Fixed video link.

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Membership information
Deejay Offline OP
Hi to All,
Here are some still pics of what we found;

This is the inside of the inner clutch half....It is a little hard to see, but the innermost side of the key-way is slightly flared.
[Linked Image]
Below is the 1 1/2" x 3/16" engine shaft key....you can see the damage to the very tip.
[Linked Image]
Below is the captive cotter pin (crank pin)... You can easily see the damage to the right hand end....this allowed it to protrude from the inner clutch half...which alerted me to the problem...
[Linked Image]
Below is one of the outer clutch half showing the cork clutch lining....all good here.
[Linked Image]
Below is one of the clutch cone with the return spring installed in what would be the normal disengaged position. [Linked Image]
Below is one of the Honda crankshaft free end....thankfully no damage here....
[Linked Image]
Finally, this one is the clutch cone in the 'engaged' position viewed from inside the clutch...
[Linked Image]
Thanks for looking,
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Trainee
Yes great Pics Deejay
Can I ask what is the best glue to use for cork lining Im just about to do both the engine clutch and drive clutch on my mower

Jason
Deejay Offline OP
Hi Jason, here is the method one of our members Steve (deviosi) uses and is the best glue for the purpose on both clutch corks....Click HERE
Please let us know how it goes. wink
cheers2

Deejay Offline OP
Hi to All,
Here are some pics of the new parts...
The new inner cutter clutch half....inside view, below
[Linked Image]

Below is the outside view of the new inner cutter clutch half; showing the orientation of the grub screw (tapped hole) with the key-way.

[Linked Image]
Below is the outside view of the new inner cutter clutch half; showing the orientation of the second grub screw (tapped hole) at 90degrees to the key-way.
[Linked Image]
Below is the cutter clutch thrust bearing.If you look into the small circumferential slit, it is possible to see a double row of ball bearings.
[Linked Image]
Below are the new end caps, Honda engine shaft key and cutter clutch thrust bearing.
[Linked Image]
Below is the inner clutch half primed ready for painting after a trial fit for shaft and clutch half alignment checks...All good.
[Linked Image]
Below, just painted in "Delicious Red"....now leave to dry for 24 hours.
[Linked Image]
All good to go back together soon a paint hardens...will post a pic or two on completion. wink
cheers2

Deejay Offline OP
Hi to All, happy to report that all went well with the re-installation....the clutch was much easier to adjust with the grub-screws rather than the captive cotter (clamping pin) and the spacer washers are no longer required. grin
Here it is, in its new clutch colour scheme, all back together and complete. wink
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
cheers2

Pushrod Honda preferrer
That's looking good, Deejay: it is now a better design. Can you let us know whether there is any reduction in vibration when you mow with it? I know the vibration was low anyway, I just thought it might improve from Briggs-like to Honda-like, if that damaged bore in the clutch-half was making the clutch run out of true.

Deejay Offline OP
Hi grumpy and Dave,
Grumpy, I will post once I get it out on the lawn and give it a try...I assume it will be much better...especially with a well greased thrust bearing and better mounting of the inner clutch half...Unfortunately, it is raining here today, like cats and dogs... wink
Dave, thanks for the kind comments. grin
cheers2

Deejay Offline OP
Hi to All,
Been raining on and off... however, it fined up today so finally got the Scotty out and gave it a run....absolutely fabulous, no vibration...in fact better that ever. The clutch engages smoothly and dis-engages without a hitch. I am very happy with the result. wink
cheers2

Deejay Offline OP
Hi to All,
Re: the new front roller end-caps, I drilled a hole through the end of the cap to allow oiling of the shaft where most of the wear would occur...I had done this some years ago to the original caps and very minimal shaft wear has occurred. All the wear and slop seemed to be in the end-cap itself. The front roller is rolling freely and will do its job without any slackness at the end-caps.
Cheap solution to a common problem. All good now. wink
cheers2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019