Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
Hi guys,

I have a Walbro 59 (stamped in the carburetor), I'm putting it back together from pictures. I have a picture, not the greatest, despite being large, but it shows what appears to be some sort of 'plug' or 'cover' over one of the ports. I can't recall removing it, nor can I find it among all the parts in the container. So I'm not sure if it's gone walkabout or is something else altogether (screen maybe).

Originally I purchased this gasket kit but found it was not 100% correct. Iirc it had a couple of gaskets/diaphragms I needed but was also missing a couple. I then ordered this kit which seemed to be correct. Unfortunately neither kits have anything that will fit in that spot. The diameter appears to be 4mm.

Looking at an online diagram (not sure what the '-1' means after WA59), it shows a possible something (#23 in the diagram) but there's no link to it, so that something is unknown. smirk

Probably serves me right for not taking better pictures, I'll have to start making a documentary every time I take something apart smirk.

Anyone happen to have this carburetor or know what I'm looking at?

Also, I noticed the metal 'plate assembly' (see attached pic) has a hole in the top-left corner, but the diaphragm and gasket doesn't. Why would this be? Wouldn't it just be blocked by the gasket? or likely the same part is used in a different model carb where it serves a function?

Appreciate any feedback on this dilemma smile

Attached Images
what is this high res.jpg (484.5 KB, 109 downloads)
20240105_221708.jpg (230.67 KB, 108 downloads)
20240105_221715.jpg (257.4 KB, 108 downloads)
20240105_203036.jpg (152.45 KB, 108 downloads)
20240105_210437.jpg (196.82 KB, 108 downloads)
Membership information
Repair Junkie
Hi Widget,

This is the complete kit with the welch plugs.
CLICK HERE

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The only thing missing is the very small filter screen and retaining ring. Which are items 3 and 56.

[Linked Image from az417944.vo.msecnd.net]

Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
Originally Posted by Bruce
Hi Widget,

This is the complete kit with the welch plugs.
CLICK HERE

Thanks Bruce smile. That's the kit I have, though the welch plugs in the kit are much too large. The smallest plug in the kit is about 6.7mm / 0.26", though the diameter of the hole in the carb is 4mm. My mind is boggled by what it could be smirk

Originally Posted by AVB
The only thing missing is the very small filter screen and retaining ring. Which are items 3 and 56.]

Thanks AVB smile. The filter screen and retaining ring get installed in the metal plate assembly. You can see in the last pic the assembly with the new/clean screen & ring. I suspect whatever goes into the carb is a plug as the repair kit only came with 1 screen and 1 retaining ring, although the kit doesn't come with a plug that's small enough either. I tried a spare screen but seems too large to sit in the hole, but the diagram does show two sets of #3 and #56 (even though the kit only comes with 1 set), it could be a screen, though I'm not sure how it would be installed.

Thanks again guys, much appreciate the help smile

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi Widget,

It's worth checking a site called Temu for a new carby .

Some are $15. with free postage with a new plug etc.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
Originally Posted by maxwestern
Hi Widget,

It's worth checking a site called Temu for a new carby .

Some are $15. with free postage with a new plug etc.

Cheers
Max.

Hey Max, thanks Ill have to check it out. I have heard of Temu before, but mixed reviews of it, but if it's a legit listing, $15 not too bad. There's others on eBay for $20 too, but unsure of the design on the inside. Would be good if it were an identical design.
I was hoping there would be an easier solution to find out for this particular carburetor, but all the Walbro WA-59 carburetors I've seen have a different design, with the fuel intake tube on the very top with a 90* bend. The closest video I've come across is this video, where it's very similar but that (check valve?) design is slightly different.

I've sent an email to Walbro themselves, hopefully they have some info on this particular one. If not, I may try assembling it back together as is and see if it works, otherwise I'll have to grab one online.

Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
[edit] anyone know if you can buy 'welch plugs' separately? More specifically 4mm. I went to local mower repair shop, but they weren't too sure either. one of the guys said you can buy them separately, but can't seem to find any, particularly this small.

Hi Widget,

Are you sure it's 4 mm and not 3.96875 mm which is a 5/32 plug ,https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/175711111509

If it's 5/32 you may find a cheaper one than the one on the link as that was just the first one I looked at.

$8. for a plug you may as well spent a little more and get a complete carby if you can't find a cheap plug.

Cheers
Max.

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
IPLs on this end does not show the welch plug #24 being used. PartSmart is one of the IPL sources since Walbro no longer have them on their site. Jack's Small Engine and Ereplacement are a couple other sites.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I have used Temu quite a few times over the last few months without any issues and guaranteed delivery from China in 2 weeks. They have not missed a delivery time. Sure they have lots of tricking gadget stuff. I have bought quite a few things and if I only used them once and they did the job it is all you can ask for. Inly had one thing wrong, ordered a 25mm valve, they sent a 40mm and refunded the money without issues as soon as I notified them

Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
Hi Widget,

Are you sure it's 4 mm and not 3.96875 mm which is a 5/32 plug ,https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/175711111509

If it's 5/32 you may find a cheaper one than the one on the link as that was just the first one I looked at.

$8. for a plug you may as well spent a little more and get a complete carby if you can't find a cheap plug.

Cheers
Max.

Thanks Max. I think you're right, it could be 5/32. Looks like that's the right sized welch plug, assuming the missing part is a welch plug. I've been asking over the internet, but getting mixed feedback. Few people say a welch plug, some say a check-valve nozzle, others say nothing should be there, possible because of its age (70s/80s era from my understanding)

I think It's probably better to just buy a cheap replacement and hopefully they kept the same design, lol.

Originally Posted by AVB
IPLs on this end does not show the welch plug #24 being used. PartSmart is one of the IPL sources since Walbro no longer have them on their site. Jack's Small Engine and Ereplacement are a couple other sites.

Thanks AVB. Quite confusing when they have multiple versions in 1 diagram lol. I found this more specific diagram for the SRM-200DA
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...er-brushcutter-srm/srm-200da/part-list-2
It doesn't mention a welch plug (or main nozzle), but it does have a 'nut' listing in the parts list *shrug* (no nut on mine).

Originally Posted by NormK
I have used Temu quite a few times over the last few months without any issues and guaranteed delivery from China in 2 weeks. They have not missed a delivery time. Sure they have lots of tricking gadget stuff. I have bought quite a few things and if I only used them once and they did the job it is all you can ask for. Inly had one thing wrong, ordered a 25mm valve, they sent a 40mm and refunded the money without issues as soon as I notified them

Thanks Norm. If that's the case, I might give them a shot & see how it goes. At this stage I'm unsure if/what part was there, so may just grab a replacement anyway just in-case.

Anyone know what would happen if I were to run the trimmer without anything there (if there was suppose to be something there), assuming it would run?

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I just wished Walbro didn't do away with the IPLs. It is confusing now it isn't funny as we have to guess at things a lot of the time.

What worst it getting the same on a lot of the other IPLs too now. Too many cooks spoils the meal. Otherwords people modifying info that has no business messing with it.

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Anyway hope you are warmer. I have a foot of snow/sleet mix and it is 11F right now. Nothing getting done today. Just hugging my heater to keep it warm.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi AVB,
I feel for you, I can't imagine living with temps that low, if we get days that only top out at 11C then I think it is the end of the world and lucky for us temps like that don't go on for too long

Originally Posted by Widget
I have a Walbro 59 (stamped in the carburetor), I'm putting it back together from pictures. I have a picture, not the greatest, despite being large, but it shows what appears to be some sort of 'plug' or 'cover' over one of the ports. I can't recall removing it, nor can I find it among all the parts in the container. So I'm not sure if it's gone walkabout or is something else altogether (screen maybe).

I had a look at a carby now I know what trimmer it comes from and it's meant to be blocked off.Your image looks like it's blocked off
as it should be.

I haven't had a good look at the gaskets but the hole in the metal plate may be an air bleed for the gasket to work like a diaphragm.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Walbro 3.jpg (82.72 KB, 38 downloads)
Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
Originally Posted by Widget

I had a look at a carby now I know what trimmer it comes from and it's meant to be blocked off.Your image looks like it's blocked off
as it should be.

I haven't had a good look at the gaskets but the hole in the metal plate may be an air bleed for the gasket to work like a diaphragm.

oh wow, thanks Max!. I haven't been able to find any other pictures of what I have, yours is the first. So it does appear to be covered, though where mine went, I have no clue smirk. If it was press-fit, I wouldn't have removed it, so I must have come out in the ultrasonic cleaner & disappeared on my desk.
Are you able to post a picture without the gasket to show the rest of what's there. Would be good to keep a complete image on file for future reference. (only if it doesn't damage your gasket that is)

Just to confirm, which model Walbro carburetor do you have? Is it the same as mine WA-59?

I take it as that part isn't included in the repair kits it's not suppose to be a serviceable part? I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find the 5/32 plug you linked earlier but a bit cheaper. $8 seems steep, when you can get a full carb for $15 smirk.

My carby is a Walbro WA-59 off a SRM200 DA Snipper Widget.

I didn't take an image of the carby with the gasket removed because it's the same as the top image and the carby is back on the snipper now.

If it was me I'd just cut a plug from a 5/32 bolt ,screw ,drill bit ,pop rivet ,clevis pin ,cupboard door knob bolt , brass bolt,alloy rod, etc and use a little Loctite

It looks like the plug is included in a $10 kit when you search for a kit for Echo.

With the old Echo points trimmers I find it's worth using a second hand powertorque module to convert them to electronic ignition.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
20240105_210437.jpg (196.63 KB, 31 downloads)
OMKK10-WATe.jpg (68.27 KB, 30 downloads)
Walbro 2.jpg (108.43 KB, 25 downloads)
Walbro 1.jpg (84.09 KB, 25 downloads)
Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
Thanks Max smile

I might see what's around and try make one. So to secure it, does it need to be press-fit or just 5/32 and held in with fuel-resistant threadlocker / gasket maker?

That looks like the kit I got but the welch plugs in it are much too large for the hole. The smaller plug is about 6.5mm in diameter. I could probably modify one of those plugs, not sure how important it is to have a top that sits flush with the base of the carb (like your one).

Thanks for the suggestion on the points. Wondering, do the points come from a powertorque mower?

G'day Widget,

The plug should be an interference fit but shouldn't take too much force to hit the plug in .If you use Loctite which is fuel resistant the
plug must be a snug fit otherwise there is an air gap and the Loctite will not cure.

If the hole in the carby is deep enough you could put a 3 mm deep plug in like a bit of a tig alloy welding rod etc and if the plug is
just sliding into the hole loosely you can hammer say a 3 mm deep plug on a bit of metal to make it sightly wider ( or slightly squash the plug with Vice Grips) ,you could also file a slight taper into the plug and hit it in .

Even a lump of solder could be hit in if the hole is deep enough. I'd make the plug sit flush as it is originally.

I've made welsh plugs out of old coins to block the brake fluid window on motorbike brake master cylinders and that stops the fluid leaking from the old damaged sight glass.

With the old ignition points line trimmers ,I just remove the Powertorque ignition module and wire it to the kill switch wire on the trimmer.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Ignition Module.jpg (111.96 KB, 15 downloads)
Kill switch wire.jpg (108.21 KB, 15 downloads)

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019