Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Litl Phil), 295 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Novice
Greetings from Down Under! I hope someone can help me identify and explain the wiring coming out of the stator on my Rancher.

The battery is not receiving a charging voltage when running the engine and I'd like to check the stator. Youtube clips I have watched show you can measure the AC current/voltage coming out of the stator (when it is working properly) as it goes into the rectifier/regulator. But all the clips I have seen only show two wires coming out rom the stator, but I have four...

I have two light yellow, one red and one black wire. I think the black is ground as it leads to the body of the stator, an the two yellows are probably the stator wires but I'm confused about the red wire.... It does not go to the connector for the rectifier/regulator...it goes into the harness and to the next connector. so What does it do?

And the connector to the rectifier has four wires - the two yellow, the black and a purple wire. The purple wire goes into the harness and to the next connector, I assume on its way to the battery. And YES, I know it is loose.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could help me with some advice and tips here. Thanks.

Attached Images
rover wires.png (80.29 KB, 108 downloads)
20221126_105006_resized.jpg (104.93 KB, 107 downloads)
20221126_104146_resized.jpg (207.95 KB, 106 downloads)
20221126_104206_resized.jpg (158.56 KB, 107 downloads)
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Wangarra,
I don't know for sure but when I was working on Enfield motorbikes the early ones had 2 wire stators and the later with electric start had 4 wire stators obviously for greater charging because of the electric start. What we used to do was connect one yellow to a red, the other yellow to the black (the alternators we were getting had different colours sometines you would get 2 purple,a red and a black or sometimes a green and some had the 2 yellows as in yours,but the principle was the same, the pair of similar colours you joined them to the other colours so you ended up with basicly a 2 wire stator.) once you have joined the wires you then take an A/C reading off the wires, then swap the wires to the other combination, take another reading and then you use the combination that has the higher reading and they then went to the rec/reg. I know these only use a regulator and I'm not 100% sure how the battery accepts A/C but obviously they do some how. Not sure if you want to go this way but it is the best I can offer, maybe somebody else can help

Last edited by NormK; 27/11/22 09:05 AM.
1 member likes this: Wangarra
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day Wangarra and Norm

The wiring diagram just shows the 4 wires from the Stator going to the Regulator / rectifier with an extra wire on the Regulator / rectifier
that goes to the battery.

Cheers
Max..

Attached Images
alternator_specifications.pdf 1.png (144.44 KB, 91 downloads)
alternator_specifications.pdf2.png (34.25 KB, 90 downloads)
alternator_specifications.pdf3.png (29 KB, 90 downloads)
Novice
Thanks Max
What machine is this wiring diagram for? It does not correspond to my machine. It hows two pairs of wires going to the rectifier but I only have the two yellow wires and the black coming from the stator to the connector for the rectifies. The connector only has room for 4 wires - two yellow, one black an one purple. The purple wire is not coming from the stator though. It goes from the rectifier into the harness and I'm assuming to the battery positive.

In your last picture it looks like they have hooked up multimeters to two separate circuits coming from the rectifier...as far as I can see, I only have the one circuit (plus the black for earth)... I'm a little confused here,,,

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Just remember Wangarra it is not worth spending a lot of time and money on the charging system as the battery is only used for starting the motor, not for running the motor. You can just hook it up to a cheap trickle charger so whenever you want to use it the battery is fully charged

I see some have a wire that is AC that goes to the headlights ,maybe that's what the red wire is ,l haven't found a diagram with these same coloured 4 wires.

Cheers
Max.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
exactly what they did on the Enfields half the stator was for the headlight in A/C and the other half was to charge the battery in D/c but we found it better to combine the 2 stator outputs straight into the battery and then run the lights and everything else on D/C. Bit of messing around but it did work better that the split stator set up. In reality how often are you going to use the headlights on a mower unless you are MF.

Last edited by NormK; 28/11/22 02:59 PM.
Hi Norm,

Yeah it makes sense Norm that you would have AC lights, that way the lights can't be left on with the motor off so the
battery is not going to go flat.

Yes lights on a mower are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

It looks like the orange wire from the stator could be the AC wire.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
B&S Service Engines 1919-1981.pdf.png (92.69 KB, 72 downloads)
Novice
I think you may be on to something here Max re the red wire possibly being solely for the headlights...
Makes even more sense as the red wire doesn't go to the rectifier/regulator connector - it goes into the harness and presumably to the headlights

Last edited by Wangarra; 28/11/22 09:57 PM.
Yes if it's the red wire not going to the reg then it's looking like the headlight wire ,it was a little difficult to see which wire wasn't going to the regulator in the pics.

Cheers
Max.

Novice
Thanks MAx
Here is a better image. I think we have it figured out

Attached Images
wiring with text.jpg (235.14 KB, 53 downloads)
Hi Wangarra,

There is usually a red wire coming out of the regulator/rectifier that is the positive to the battery .

The orange wire from the stator (it's listed as red in your pic) in generic wiring that I've seen that is the headlight wire.

The 2 yellow wires from the stator are the 2 AC wires that go to the reg / rec. and come out of the reg/ rec as DC

The Black looks like it must be earth.

The Purple wire usually goes to the seat relay ,PTO switch ,hour meter ( some people disconnect the seat safety switch so the purple wire may be cut on your mower)

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Screenshot manual.pdf.png (54.48 KB, 47 downloads)
Untitledbwire 1.jpg (46.71 KB, 47 downloads)
wiring-with-text 1.jpg (241.17 KB, 47 downloads)
Novice
Originally Posted by maxwestern
Hi Wangarra,

There is usually a red wire coming out of the regulator/rectifier that is the positive to the battery .

The orange wire from the stator (it's listed as red in your pic) in generic wiring that I've seen that is the headlight wire.

The 2 yellow wires from the stator are the 2 AC wires that go to the reg / rec. and come out of the reg/ rec as DC

The Black looks like it must be earth.

The Purple wire usually goes to the seat relay ,PTO switch ,hour meter ( some people disconnect the seat safety switch so the purple wire may be cut on your mower)

Cheers
Max.

Thanks Max.
Point taken. I had mistakenly labeled the orange wire as red. And your diagrams make sense, to a point. However, y regulator/rectifier only has four (4) wires connected to it - the two light yellow (AC from the stator, the black (earth) and the purple wire that is broken off at the connector. So in my case there is no red wire coming out of the reg/rec... I only have the purple wire that goes into the ain mharness.... As far as I can tell, this is the ONLY outgoing wire from the rec/reg. Sp my thinking is that it has to be the positive going through to the battery for charging.

I have looked everywhere but I can not seem to find a wiring diagram specific to my 547/42 model...

I haven't seen what the rectifier regulator looks like Wangarra but you have explained the wiring, we know the wire coming out of the regulator is
the battery positive.

Yes if the purple wire is the only wire out of the regulator it must be positive to the battery.

The 2 yellow stator wires are going to the regulator / rectifier.

The Black wire in the images is going into the regulator / rectifier.

Orange must be for the headlight.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It is easy to check if it is charging, if as you say Max the orange is for the headlights just set the multimeter to A/C volts, pos on the meter on the orange and meter negative to somewhere on the motor, give the motor a rev and see what reading you get. With the purple do the same test with the meter set on D/C and see what you get

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545