Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
2 members (noileg, NormK), 306 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day Jack

LINK https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/112581/supa-swift-brochure-c1970s.html

With this SS Brochure being mid seventies ,I don't think it can be as SS had their 747 High arch mower
around the mid seventies and the SS Brochure doesn't mention this model also no mention of Pope that we
know took over SS in 1974.

The last of the Villiers 2 strokes had different fuel tanks and cowls and the brochure has the Villiers with
the earlier model tank (cowl).

To me the brochure looks like it's made for the 1970 models so would cover late 1969 and 1970.

I could easily be wrong about the date as there isn't much advertising material around for SS in the seventies , the
other guess would be for the 1972 Models.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
747 September 1974.jpg (143.6 KB, 67 downloads)
1973-1974 rover.jpg (31.4 KB, 68 downloads)
9th Dec 1969.jpg (70.45 KB, 68 downloads)
MODEL 49 - History Record - 1971.png (113.46 KB, 68 downloads)
Membership information
Forum Historian
Hi Max
A bid THANK YOU for keeping me - and history - honest.
I didn't do due diligence on this one and attempted a 'safe bet'.

I have corrected the Record, I hope.

Max, have I got dating close on this one: -
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/93134/supa-swift-brochure-c1975.html

Cheers
----------------------
Jack

G'day Jack,

Thanks for fixing the dating timeline for these SS mowers and for all the work in adding all the Mower brochures etc.

Originally Posted by CyberJack

Yes that one above is correct Jack ,the link above has C1975 and I had you correct that one also by
pointing out the production date is listed in the text.

What was strange in the 1971 SS brochure is the lack of vertical start Kirby motors shown in the brochure.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
1971_supa_swift mowers.jpg (42.92 KB, 55 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi maxwestern and Cyberjack,
which was the better rotary? SupaSwift, Scott Bonnar or Rover? Rovers were considered a "cut" above Victas generally. They all have their weaknesses.
I have a SupaSwift 767 from the 80s and I just love the feel of that mower and it cuts so well, not leaving anything behind. Only problem is the catcher keeps falling off, due to a weak rear flap spring not putting enough tension over the catcher.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Forum Historian
G'day MF and Max
That's a great question there MF.

If we're talking 1970s rear-catcher lawnmowers then I feel
Victa, Rover, Scott Bonnar and Supa-Swift were at the top
of their game. They were all quality lawnmowers built to last.

The things that stood out for me for Supa-Swifts were: -
[1] fluted and stepped blades;
[2] quality die cast handle height adjusters;
[3] a super robust chassis and cut height adjuster.

I feel any call on the 'best' would be subjective.

Max and Yourself would be better judges here.

Cheers
----------------------
Jack

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I was referring to the 70s and I read about Rover being considered a step above Victa in the 1990s sometime, not the heady days of the 70s when Victas weren't offered in steel frames and were well made mowers as well.
I am focusing on the alternatives to the dominant Victa brand at the time. Scott Bonnar, while best known for their reel mowers, they made some mean rotaries as well, including their very well built high arch domestic range. Rovers with the blue chassis and chrome wheels were top notch quality wise as well.
I only ever first heard of SupaSwift in the 1990s thanks to television advertising giving me brand awareness.
I am amazed how fast back they went and how prominent they were way back when.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
G'day Jack and Mf,

For me it all depends on what year and model you are comparing .

I like an Alloy base that won't break easily and certain models have more alloy and reinforced skirts.

I remember reading somewhere that the early petrol alloy base Sunbeam (Victa 2 stroke motor) was tested by taking one blade off
then run for a short time and the base just instantly cracked apart .

So besides the mower doing everything it should ,I'd prefer an alloy base that lasts but if
you look after your mower most will last decades.

Yes I agree Supa-Swifts were robust ,the tri blades worked well and should be better balanced than a twin blade .

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Choice 1980.jpg (200.02 KB, 37 downloads)
Choice 1 1984.jpg (123.71 KB, 37 downloads)
Choice 2 1989.jpg (51.72 KB, 37 downloads)
Choice 3 1989.jpg (244.48 KB, 37 downloads)
C Rover.jpg (109.11 KB, 37 downloads)
C SupaSwift.jpg (49.2 KB, 37 downloads)
Apprentice level 4
I was thinking that brochure had to be older, the Hd8 was phased out by 1976, 1971 was the companies change to yellow with the redesign of the frame and the introduction of the Fuji Engine (pictured).

The other Brochure you have dated 1971, as far as the Greenfield goes has to be at the latest a 1969 model. Last of the red machines with the old front axle but with the bigger G65 Engine.

To my knowedge that partnership must have only lasted 2-3 years, and must have only been for the southern Dealers.

I might be Biased, but as far as 1970's mowers went, Rover had to be the on the top. Especially by the mid 70's when they had the High arch Regal and Baron models. Chrome metal ball bearing wheels, now proven one of the toughest alloy bases of the time, Huge catchers and some of the biggest engines of the time, the Regal with the factory 5hp briggs is a beast of a machine!

G'day Nath ,Mf and Jack,

Originally Posted by nath
I was thinking that brochure had to be older, the Hd8 was phased out by 1976, 1971 was the companies change to yellow with the redesign of the frame and the introduction of the Fuji Engine (pictured).

Yes I did notice the Yellow Hd8 and I know that exact mower was advertised in newspapers in 1971 ,that
was why I initially was thinking the brochure could be 1972 .

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/79893/2.html

The thing is I don't believe all pictures used in advertising are correct ,new models are tested many months
before the new model is released and images are taken at that time.

The brochure dated 1971 ,I believe they have used an old image ,happens all the time as why would you
wast time and money getting updated images when most people are not going to notice the difference ,
granted the images should be a close match to the mower being sold when using older images .

The Yellow Hd8 image for 1970 possibly released earlier than was thought.

If you look at the 1971 SupaSwift Brochure where it says space age they are showing last years model with
the villiers 2 stroke that is not being sold in this 1971 brochure.

The price of the Galaxy with Villiers 2 stroke for the 1970 model is $169. and the 1971 Galaxy with Villiers 2 stroke is $175.
The equivalent model for 1967 is $144. so I would think the dating of these brochures are now correct.

Glad to hear anything that I have missed in trying to get the dates right .

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Screenshot A supa_swift_1970s_.png (731.41 KB, 33 downloads)
Screenshot A supa_swift_1970s_1.png (552.79 KB, 32 downloads)
Screenshot 2021 c1971 1970 1971.png (987.85 KB, 32 downloads)
Screenshot 2021 1969 1970.png (838.18 KB, 32 downloads)
Screenshot 2021 1969 1970 (2).png (417.39 KB, 32 downloads)
Screenshot 2021 c1971 1970 1971 (2).png (721.8 KB, 32 downloads)
Screenshot 2021 1969 1970 a.jpg (124.45 KB, 32 downloads)
Screenshot 2021 1970 1971 a.jpg (66.79 KB, 32 downloads)
Apprentice level 4
Hi max

Definitely confusing then! One other interesting point on the Supa swift Greenfields is that they have pictured Steel deck housings, an option I believe never offered up here on the normal machines. The other thing I have come to learn is that anything greenfield changed happened on the fly with the hd series, nothing was really tested in advance as the big companies can afford to do now.

For example, those Fuji engines were fitted, then when used up in the heat of the tropics had a lot of overheating problems. So then came about the Louvered bonnet for added cooling.

One thing I have to say is all of the mowers of that period had a certain class about them! big chrome handles, fantastic colour schemes, even the logo has something about it. Would have definitely caught you're eye in the showrooms against the in my opinion very bland style and then plastic coverings of the 70's victas

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Who made those mowers I have seen with no brand that the stores sold, such as Waltons. They were at a lower price point, but value packed.

G'day nath ,Mf and Jack,

Definitely confusing then! One other interesting point on the Supa swift Greenfields is that they have pictured Steel deck housings, an option I believe never offered up here on the normal machines. The other thing I have come to learn is that anything greenfield changed happened on the fly with the hd series, nothing was really tested in advance as the big companies can afford to do now.

Sometimes equipment is not tested enough before selling and other times they know there's a problem and sell the product
anyway.

With the steel deck housing ,it's what I was saying previously ,the manufacturer makes the first mowers in
a model style (prototype) and images are taken of this machine then when the model is sold ,usually months
later instead of taking images of the new model that is being sold the manufacturer uses the images they
already have from testing the prototype or early batch of mowers.

These incorrect images are often used in marketing , service manuals and owners manuals.

A lot of manuals use incorrect images the images are used for a guide only.

Another mower that was completely incorrect in ads ,manuals ,TV commercial was the Victa Ambassador from
1962 ,1963 ,the Ambassador shown must have been a model for testing because it had a steel base but the
Victa Ambassador people bought all had alloy bases.

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=70029

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=71632

For example, those Fuji engines were fitted, then when used up in the heat of the tropics had a lot of overheating problems. So then came about the Louvered bonnet for added cooling.

I read that the bonnet went from flat to louvered and then back to flat ,so they must have stopped using the Fuji engines.

One thing I have to say is all of the mowers of that period had a certain class about them! big chrome handles, fantastic colour schemes, even the logo has something about it. Would have definitely caught you're eye in the showrooms against the in my opinion very bland style and then plastic coverings of the 70's victas

Yes with the older equipment it did seem like they had a lot more pride in their brand , the manufacturers name
cast onto the base in big letters even the old cars had big heavy chromed badges.

Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
Who made those mowers I have seen with no brand that the stores sold, such as Waltons. They were at a lower price point, but value packed.

I haven't kept a list of all the mowers Waltons sold but I mainly see the Waltons Victa and Waltons Rover Fairway .

Cheers Max.

Attached Images
1st Sep 1976.jpg (89.37 KB, 34 downloads)
20th Jan 1972.jpg (105.6 KB, 34 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by maxwestern
G'day nath ,Mf and Jack,

These incorrect images are often used in marketing , service manuals and owners manuals.

A lot of manuals use incorrect images the images are used for a guide only.

Another mower that was completely incorrect in ads ,manuals ,TV commercial was the Victa Ambassador from
1962 ,1963 ,the Ambassador shown must have been a model for testing because it had a steel base but the
Victa Ambassador people bought all had alloy bases.

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=70029

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=71632

Originally Posted by Mowerfreak

I haven't kept a list of all the mowers Waltons sold but I mainly see the Waltons Victa and Waltons Rover Fairway .

Cheers Max.

Hi folks,
Victa's first thumblatch models, the Impala 2 and 4 stroke show an absent button on the catcher, which would become a distinct feature of that design for years to come.

Onto the Walton's mowers, in ads that have been shown here before (posted by you MW IIRC) had a Victa in one picture with a generic non branded alternative at a lower price in a picture next to it. I saw examples for both a hi arch and a low arch mower with a generic equivalent.

The pic of the hi arch Celestial Deluxe next to the Celestial 160 mid arch is yet another example of not the exact model being represented in the illustration. That engine cover on the lower arch mower is the older metal version with the integrated metal cooling shroud when they would have had an updated plastic cover that screwed onto the shroud by then. Perhaps there were still a few of the old design in stock though. I remember seeing a Yellow Vortex still being displayed at Bing Lee at least as late as 1988 along with a Mustang GTS even though the Vortex was discontinued by 1987.
People have mentioned they were not enthusiastically taken up by the public due to the engine cover concealing the motor too much, so that is consistent there. Now collectors are all over them for that very cover!

Moderated by  Alan M, CyberJack, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019