Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#108123 31/08/20 11:08 AM
Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
Hi all,

I have two issues.

First, out gravel driveway is overrun with weeds and grass. I use to spray Roundup on the small patches, which took 3weeks(ish) before they were brown/dead, and they would stay dead (though still visible) for a period of time, then would start growing back after some wet weather. I had planned on tackling it more frequently as it grew back, but this time, it's really gotten away from me, and now since having rain not too long ago, looks close to being a lawn.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/073iG7b.jpg[/img]

Aside from getting a mini-dozer and and inch out, then putting fresh gravel in, can anyone recommend on what to do in this situation? Spray with grass/weed killer, then maybe burn their corpse ?

Secondly, we have a small shed in the backyard. I rarely go behind there, but did the other day, and noticed a lot of some vine-like weed along the ground, and climbing the back fence. Stepping on the weed sounds sort of rubbery, like walking on lino with shoes. Anyone know what it is and how to kill it? Weed spray again? Or perhaps better to get the whipper-snipper in there (or mow), then rake it out, then poison the area ?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Nf1J5t5.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/6hhTKw1.jpg[/img]

I should note, we have some cats, and the neighbor has a dog, so if there's a poison you might recommend, preferably pet friendly. :)

Thanks in advance,

Attached Images
20200831_104721.jpg (239.34 KB, 182 downloads)
20200822_143402.jpg (112.52 KB, 179 downloads)
Last edited by Widget; 31/08/20 11:08 AM.
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Widget,
Something I have never tried so I don't know how effective they are is one of those propane torches, just make sure along the back fence that you don't start a big fire.

Apprentice level 2
IMHO and from the rural property we live on:

For the gravel driveway - you can use whatever you like to kill the existing stuff in there. Glypho will work well now as its going into Spring - but you could even use salt+vinegar if you wanted on a hot day. I'd not worry about removing the dead remains, it'll decay away soon enough. Consider using a residual herbicide every 6-12mths to ensure it doesn't come back - Simazine is regarded as one of the better choices, Bunnings sell a product but you can buy better value/strength ones on Ebay or at a good Ag store.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-1l-path-weeder_p3013486

For the weed near your shed I'd just spray with Glypho.

None of it should be an issue - just apply patience but glypho only works when the plants are growing and they will be soon.

Last edited by N1KK0; 31/08/20 12:43 PM.
Junior Technician
I once had a kerosene weed killer. It was a metre long, and you pumped it up and heated the coils to vaporize the kero. It used to roar.............
Pity you don't see any around nowadays...
speedy

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi speedy,
I guess the old kero setup was a bit of an OH&S risk and these days kero is expensive compared to petrol whereas it used to be the other way around. I remember all those kero powered tractors before diesels became the only way to go.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I would suggest glypho, but with pets...

Salt, vinegar with a good squirt of dishwashing liquid has worked for me. The dish liquid is a surfacecent - apparently helps uptake by weeds.

Junior Technician
or old engine oil ,cooking oil ... run in neat lines down the drive.
speedy

Originally Posted by speedy
I once had a kerosene weed killer. It was a metre long, and you pumped it up and heated the coils to vaporize the kero. It used to roar.............
Pity you don't see any around nowadays...
speedy
You can get an LPG fired equivalent!

https://www.jamesshields.com.au/shop/category/weed-burners-and-hoses

Or even;

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-870mm-propane-torch-weed-burner_p5910467

Last edited by Gadge; 03/09/20 09:53 AM. Reason: Add links

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Apprentice level 2
Long term weed control for me is in the shape of a pre-emergent. It works to stop seeds germinating, and in the 3 years I have used a Prodiamine based spray I have not had an issue.

You can buy from an Aust supplier and get say 1L of 48% for over $200 a bottle, or look online for options. I bought a 2.5kg container at 65% strength for close to $150 - far more economical and I have a healthy stock that I have shared to family etc.

My application rate is 12g in 5L sprayer per 100m and then water in with a half inch. I do that 3 times a year and I just don't get weeds any more. Works for me on Poa, crab grass, bindii, broadleaf.

Right now is the time to spray before it warms up and those dormant seeds reach for life above ground.

Cheers,
TC.

Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
[quote=NormK]
Something I have never tried so I don't know how effective they are is one of those propane torches,[/quote]
[quote=speedy]I once had a kerosene weed killer. It was a metre long, and you pumped it up and heated the coils to vaporize the kero. It used to roar.............[/quote]
[quote=Gadge]You can get an LPG fired equivalent!
https://www.jamesshields.com.au/shop/category/weed-burners-and-hoses
Or even;
https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-870mm-propane-torch-weed-burner_p5910467[/quote]

Thanks guys. I had a look at those long-nozzled propane burners, but the price was a little high, as I don't have a propane tank either :/. I have a tiny burner that clips to the top of a butane camping can that I mainly use for rusted nuts/bolts, I also used it on some weed leaves (white flowers, chemicals couldn't kill them, can't remember the name). Being a fair amount of weeds, it would be a big job for a tiny can lol.
I came across this cheaper propane torch, wondering if that would do the job too?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garden-Propane-Weed-Burner-Torch-Killer-Grass-Shrub-Gas-Fire-Lighter-1200/353176227735?hash=item523af18f97:g:QVAAAOSwr5FfCTRU&frcectupt=true

What's the cost of those little white propane tanks + propane these days ?

[quote=N1KK0]

For the gravel driveway - you can use whatever you like to kill the existing stuff in there. Glypho will work well now as its going into Spring - but you could even use salt+vinegar if you wanted on a hot day. I'd not worry about removing the dead remains, it'll decay away soon enough. Consider using a residual herbicide every 6-12mths to ensure it doesn't come back - Simazine is regarded as one of the better choices, Bunnings sell a product but you can buy better value/strength ones on Ebay or at a good Ag store.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-1l-path-weeder_p3013486

For the weed near your shed I'd just spray with Glypho.

None of it should be an issue - just apply patience but glypho only works when the plants are growing and they will be soon.[/quote]

[quote=Tyler]I would suggest glypho, but with pets...

Salt, vinegar with a good squirt of dishwashing liquid has worked for me. The dish liquid is a surfacecent - apparently helps uptake by weeds.[/quote]

Thanks guys. The Roundup I used was Glyph based. Is there much difference between that and "Simazine" ? Thanks for the links, I'll have a poke around and see if I can find some stronger mixes to make my own ratio.

Regarding the weeds near the shed, I think they've been growing for some time, and they're in the shade too. Would it be better to chop it all back, then spray the exposed stems, or would spraying on the leaves have the same affect ?

I've heard about the vinegar+salt+dishwash liquid before, but never tried it. Is the effect much different than weed killers ? What's the general ratio for each ingredient you guys use ?

[quote=speedy]or old engine oil ,cooking oil ... run in neat lines down the drive.[/quote]

Hey Speedy, what does the oil do? I have heard of people mixing Diesel + weedkiller, though having Diesel (or other oil) on the gravel would create a messy-rainbow effect when wet, wouldn't it? Would it be better to rake back all the stones to reveal the dirt, so it absorbs better, then push back the gravel ?

[quote=TheCount]Long term weed control for me is in the shape of a pre-emergent. It works to stop seeds germinating, and in the 3 years I have used a Prodiamine based spray I have not had an issue.

You can buy from an Aust supplier and get say 1L of 48% for over $200 a bottle, or look online for options. I bought a 2.5kg container at 65% strength for close to $150 - far more economical and I have a healthy stock that I have shared to family etc.

My application rate is 12g in 5L sprayer per 100m and then water in with a half inch. I do that 3 times a year and I just don't get weeds any more. Works for me on Poa, crab grass, bindii, broadleaf.

Right now is the time to spray before it warms up and those dormant seeds reach for life above ground.
/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion :). The price though is a bit steep for my pockets lol. Is there a cheap option, and is that stuff in concentrate form or ready-to-use ?

[quote=NormK]Hi speedy,
I guess the old kero setup was a bit of an OH&S risk and these days kero is expensive compared to petrol whereas it used to be the other way around. I remember all those kero powered tractors before diesels became the only way to go.[/quote]

I remember reading that some time ago, where truckers would use Kero instead of Diesel because it was cheaper, and to avoid Diesel tax (which added to price), as Kero wasn't taxed. I remember it read that they added a colour to one of the fuels, and what would happen is, regulators/inspectors would do random inspections of the fuel to see if they were using Diesel or Kero. Can't remember what country this was happening in though...maybe Australia, Euro, or UK somewhere.

Thanks again for all the feedback, much appreciated :)

Apprentice level 2
[quote=TheCount]Long term weed control for me is in the shape of a pre-emergent. It works to stop seeds germinating, and in the 3 years I have used a Prodiamine based spray I have not had an issue.

/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion :). The price though is a bit steep for my pockets lol. Is there a cheap option, and is that stuff in concentrate form or ready-to-use ?

Thanks again for all the feedback, much appreciated :)[/quote]

Breaking news!!

Bunnings are about to start selling an Amgrow branded pre-emergent. Check out Lawn Tips on Youtube for more info..

My Prodiamine is granular, hence the measurement in grams. At my rates, I’ll have 20 years worth of weed free lawns.

TC.

Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
I never quite got around to weeding :/, but now it's Spring, it appears things are growing again. I have attached more pics of the weeds I have.

The weeds in the pics are on the lawn. What do you guys recommend that's safe for grass ? I was going to get one of those RTU containers with the hose attachment and hose the lawns with weed n feed, but figure it might be weak, or there might be a better chemical that's safer on grass.

Regarding Amgrow, Bunnings are selling it now though I don't know which is best, but they says it's for lawns so I guess it must be safe for grass lol ?

As for the weeds on the driveway, it has more grass there now. Wondering if the Brunnings Path Weeder kills grass too or just weeds ?https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-1l-path-weeder_p3013486 , otherwise I may have to go back down the Glypho route. Anyone know if Simazine it pet friendly or would i need to lock them up for x hrs ?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/2CdOj12.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/LsKqsTq.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/3qQNONO.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9sCxwh.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/B39vIRC.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/cTvP8BT.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/EEGlN0L.jpg[/img]

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I think 80% of those would be taken out with 1 or 2 applications of plain old buffalo weeder (Bromoxynil and MCPA) - eg yates buffalo pro or in bigger 1l bottles superway buffalo soldier.

The first photo I am not sure - may need dicamba on it.

The last photo with the purple flower is a problem - hard to judge by scale but it looks like some sort of onion weed. There are some chemicals that will do it but they are around $400 for 200ml and are schedule 7 - need a spray cert to legally buy it.

I have had some success using metsulforon methyl - but it is somewhat nasty stuff and should not be used near plants or trees you don't want to accidentally kill.

Edit - lock your pets up for anything - just because its supposedly safe doesn't mean it is. many people have made their dogs seriously ill due to simple bifenthrin ant spray

Last edited by Tyler; 14/09/22 10:42 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Tyler,
I have had good success with onion weed. I cut the onion weed above the ground and then with a thin paint brush paint the stalks with glypho straight from the bottle. I use that method on any sort of weed I have had trouble with. I have used it on black berries but I never heard how well it worked because the people moved out 12 months later.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Old fuel works on weeds growing in cement. Nuclear waste would probably be a bit overkill.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Thanks Norm, I will give the glypho a go. the problem with onion weed is the waxy coating doesn't let it through - I hadn't thought of cutting the end to expose it

Junior Technician
Spring here, bindi and a thousand other weeds in my lawn. So I used weed n feed, should work..
speedy

Widget Offline OP
Apprentice level 3
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I picked up some ZERO Glyphosate and Bin-Die today...
https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-1l-490g-l-zero-weed-killer-super-concentrate_p3012676
https://www.bunnings.com.au/amgrow-250ml-bin-die-selective-lawn-weeder_p2990227

damn, Glyphosate is pricy. Pretty sure I payed <$30 last time for the Roundup brand :/. Is there a cheaper or a recommended place to buy lawncare chemicals ?

We had a bit of rain here yesterday, but next few days are expected to be clear. I let it dry out a bit today, will hit the driveway in the morning and paint as many weeds as I can with Glypho too. I'll leave the Bin-die for larger patches as I only got a 250ml bottle.

Speedy, what weed'n'feed did you use ? I'm looking to get some fertiliser to use as well.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Go to an ag supply store. Bigger bottles but a lot cheaper overall. I have been buying quite a few of the 'apparent' and 'surefire' br

But do your research, some things are no cheaper. eg you paid $17 for 250ml of bin die ($70/L) Surefire buffalo is $75/L.

Regarding glypho, its a good example of grams per litre being $$$. You got 450g/l high strength. You got 450g of 'pure' glypho for $50.

I can get Apparent 'concussion' (they have funny model names) 540 for $50. Thats an extra 90g of pure glypho for the same price. I can get Surefire glypho 540 for $35 at my local ag shop, but they tend to be fairly cheap.

While you are at the ag shop - pick up a 25kg bag of ag grade epsom salts - mix it in about 2kg with every 8-10kg of fertiliser. Works good. Bunnings have it in 1kg packs for $8. That means $200 for a 25kg bag.

25kg bag at an ag shop - $35 max. Theres your mark up.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Regarding weed and feed, there are 2 types and unfortunately neither work great.

Granular weed and feed is simply iron sulphate and urea (or nitrogen of some description - might be sulfate of ammonia). You put it on, don't water it in. Everything turns black (iron overload) weeds die off and lawn comes back. 12% iron, rest ammonia - I can make it up for 1/4 the price bunnings charge. All it is is a few % iron, few % ammonium sulfate (as an aside, this mix is sure to lower soil PH as both are acidic).

Literally 1950s tech.

The liquid weed and feed in the spray 2l bottles is literally what you bought concentrated today but with a couple of extras (bit of nitrogen and iron). Basically you are paying for it to be watered down. The main problem is its too watered down by the sprayer - the water washes the chemical off the leaves. If you have a lawn covered it weeds, it will help.

It is not a complete lawn feed all it is is nitrogen. You need phos and potassium (P and K).

Without offending anyone, weed and feed will turn a poor lawn half decent. But it won't do much for a lawn that is already decent.

You are better off buying a 20kg bag of a decent granular lawn fertiliser, then backing it up with a foliar application of liquid fertiliser like powerfeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545