Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Novice
So I bought Victa power torque TAC for $45.

I can't get to running for more than 5 seconds.
If I pull the starter cord and immediately start pumping the primer it will run till I stop pumping.

I have replaced the
carby Faceplate
Needle
Fuel hose.

I have cleaned out the fuel tank, replaced fuel, and blown out the tank, tap&filter, and main jet.

If I take the needle and float out it will continuously run at high revs.

I am pretty well stumped at what else to do. I gave the carby an entire bath in my parts cleaner unit as well

Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Plain Old Iron

Quick question - what colour is the float needle you have put in. Yellow and black ones are prone to sticking, and only releasing while you prime.

Additionally, I would probably suggest blowing out the main jet again through both the side holes (covered by gauze) and the other hole at the end (which actually meters the fuel)

Regards
Tyler

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Howdy Plain Old Iron,
may I suggest you check fuel flow from the tank by pulling the fuel line out of the carby and holding a container underneath. It should pour out at a reasonable rate with the fuel tap in the full open position. If it's coming out in drips or very slowly, then it's a clogged fuel tap our fuel tap filter (the cigarette butt shape sticking into the tank from the tap assembly.
You can pull it off the fuel tap and clean it by soaking in acetone over night or get another tap assembly or test with one off a wreck or good mower.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Novice
I have done all that a couple of times.
The fuel does flow out at a reasonable rate

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Needle or jet trouble it sounds like. NormK will probably know the likely culprit(s).
You will definitely get it going eventually if it's firing.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Novice
I hope so its beginning to do my head in

Novice
I had a white one that I believe is now stained a cream colour but now I have a black one installed

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Maybe try reinstalling the whitish one - that colour is normally original victa equipment, whereas black ones are aftermarket

SENIOR TECHNICIAN

London to a brick it is the float needle, the aftermarket plastic ones DO NOT work, complete waste of time. First thing I replace before trying to start any of these mowers is put in a viton tipped needle, try that and depending on what it does maybe then replace the primer cap. One important thing is when fitting a new needle is to check that the float can close the needle without hitting the tower the needle is located in. A few times I have had to grind a bit off the bottom end of the needle so the needle can drop down enough to allow fuel to flow before the float hits the bottom of the carby casing. The reason this varies slightly is how deep the seat has been set in the primer cap.

Novice
The white one was installed and I still had issues. So I went out today and bought a new needle

Novice
Hey normK,
Where do I get the viton tipped needles

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The Carby Master developed these needles, which solve a lot of the problems

That being said, they sometimes still have the problem to a lesser degree. I bought a Pace Powertorque at the tip - new carby bits, new primer plate, new viton needle which was slightly sticking (amongst other issues with the machine)

Pay note to what Norm has said, as well as the notes in the Carby Master's ebay listing

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metal-T...4?hash=item3d85932c36:g:3EEAAOSwa~FZjvEW

Last edited by Tyler; 01/11/19 09:54 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Tyler,

Interesting thing with the float needles is that I have been dabbling with the faulty viton float needles I had, probably 10/12 of them, (any time I had an issue I just put the needles in a special container) anyway I have been refitting them to other carbys and so far I have only had one that played up again. I have no idea why they have decided to work now but it may have something to do with them being exposed to petrol and the viton swells a little who knows but I am happy that the failure rate is now pretty much a non event. It was an absolute pain in the butt at the time because the failure rate was so high and time consuming but at this stage I can only say they are the best thing to happen to a Powertorque since they were invented
And then you have this sort of stuff, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-VIC...Roy-Gripskie-Ready-To-Ship/283642826597?

Last edited by NormK; 02/11/19 08:41 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ahh Roy Gripske & sons. I see their van outside Andrew's Mowers in Maroubra from time to time.
They supply parts for Briggs among others.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
$10.40 for 1 needle is insane, considering each needle from GA costs somewhere around 70c (have some insider info)

Some of their parts are fine - but when they are charging dealers $3.60 for a briggs pulsaprime carby primer bulb, you can see why the exorbitant prices are passed on to buyers.

Norm, its good to hear the Viton needles are sorting themselves out - I will try the one I took out of that Pace again - maybe it will work now

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
This EBay seller says it's an original part. I don't believe yellow ones are.
I can't believe anyone can justify that price for such an inexpensive item to make. It's how vital it is for the operation the carb they think makes it valuable, so charge a highway robbery price to the unsuspecting.
EBay is infested with traders like this.

Novice
So I have ordered 2 viton needles from the carby master as well as some other replacement parts.
I broke the carby cap so I ordered that.
Aswell as vacuum hose
Ignition wire boots
Diaphragm
Exhaust manifold orings.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi Plain Old Iron,
At the end of the day you can get this running perfectly as it is already a runner even though only for a second or so. That proves it will run. The issue is the carby and I usually don't bother with all the rubbish shown on utube, I have my own carby modifications that I know work, bit of work involved but I have done hundreds of them and they are pretty reliable, very few of them ever come back with a problem

Novice
I am keen to try this new needle out as you suggested. I hope you are right in the fact it will work.

Novice
Righto Norm,

I have an update, I got the new needle today and threw her in and no change.
Could it be an vacuum issue you think?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794