Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Jeffery), 357 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Thread Like Summary
N1KK0
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by N1KK0
N1KK0
Hi All,

I've been mowing a tricky one acre property with a 21" utility mower and some old Victas - it's very hard work as it's all very thick kikuyu, a lot of it is sloped and there's a lot of trees and exposed roots etc. Add on the summer heat which means it needs doing literally every 4-5days in peak times and effects of aging and though I've managed it for 5yrs I'm sensing the end might be nigh.

I am not going to be able to use the rideon for the entire property - as some areas are just too tricky but it'll enable me to knock over the 70-80% which is the most physically demanding much more rapidly. Will just be side throwing, not catching.

I've decided to keep a look out for a good quality rideon. So wondering what people recommend?

I don't need/want any overly large one - I'd say a 30-32" cut is more than ample, likewise don't envisage needing a big engined model. I'd like it to be a model/brand known for reliability and also one that i could perform all the periodic maintenance & simple repairs on myself.

I hear good things about Greenfield - and also to a lesser degree Cox. Are their any specific models of these or other brands(as I know it's simplistic to say only get a certain brand) I should keep an eye out for?

Happy to pay fair market price for a good quality model - as I've had a bad habit of always getting other people's 'broken toys' and sometimes repairing these is sanity testing or just not feasible.

If any more info needed to assist you in advising, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. :-)
Liked Replies
by NormK
NormK
Hi N1KK0,
I have bought parts from Terry but I do know he has a mountain of all types of Deutscher machines and if you can't locate one he would be the person I would be contacting. The Greenies are a good machine but anything I end up with has been flogged to withing an inch of its life and there is massive hours involved in getting them back into good working condition. Deutschers can also end up in this condition as well but there is less parts , particularly the steering that can cause you grief. An early Rover tiller steer might also be an option, but they all generally need a fair bit of work
1 member likes this
by NormK
NormK
Hi N1KK0,
the problem with rideons is that they work hard and cop a battering. I rebuilt a Greenie for a mate some years ago and it is still going fine but I spent about 6 months repairing it, not working on it flat out but reasonably consistently and the previous owner had spent $1150 on it before he cracked the sads with it (he gave me the receipts) and I spent another $650 on it. New motor and all the other bits that still needed fixing after the $1150 he had already spent on it. And I didn't get the brake to work properly but luckily his land is reasonably flat. Generally you won't find a "bird with a broken wing" usually it will have both legs and wings broken.
1 member likes this
by NormK
NormK
If I had to decide I would take a Deutscher slasher,walk behind any time, head and shoulders above anything else, even if I had to drive many hours to pick one up
1 member likes this
by nath
nath
All generally comes down to what you want to spend. If you want a late model Greenfield 34" with low hours expect to pay around the 4k mark, less if you are looking at a 13-32 or similar. If you are worried about the hills use the diff lock and chuck some ATV tyres on the back.

Cox there is nothing wrong with as such, depending on the model. all the new ones are hydro drive, not really ideal on big slopes, if you find an older one with Live drive (cone) they work but you will wear cones out on the slopes.

Deutscher are good but getting old these days and I know in qld are hard to find parts for.

Comes down to if you have the budget, the best modern gear you will get is a Greenfield, if not, older gear like a deutscher will come with its problems.

looking at slashers is a different thing entirely. Deutscher and Greenfield both made very nice self propelled machines, Victa made the big super 600, not self propelled but very light and easy to use for its size.

I personally would never touch the modern toro stuff, mostly pressed tin american junk, you do get a warranty with new gear though
1 member likes this
by NormK
NormK
As nath said, depends on how much you are prepared to spend. We all chase the bottom dollar but this always comes with the fact/cost you are going to have to do a lot of work on any old machine to get it working properly.
https://www.deutscher.com.au/l/mowe...-he660-slasher-honda-gxv390-recoil-start
https://www.deutscher.com.au/l/mowers-walk/display/1-deutscher-xf560-mower-briggs-and-stratton-190cc
With these you could fit a sulky on them so you don't have to walk but then there is the issue of how steep your ground is and would this cause oil starvation in the motor if the motor was sloped the wrong way for a prolonged period. This is the advantage of the 2 stroke Victas. As you have found out it is a very difficult balancing act, there is no machine made that will cover all the things you require
I have often thought about building a 2 stroke machine on one of the older big self propelled chassis and using a 2 stroke to power the drive and another up front for the cutting. Would be a bit on the long side but would overcome this gutting grass on sloping ground problem
On something like this you could stand a full crank vertically to run the drive and another full crank to belt drive the cutter. Quite doable just a bit of work but could be done. This solves all the problems and because the drive motor is only doing the driving it would have no problems pulling a sulky
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kerang/lawn-mowers/self-propelled-mower/1257778232
1 member likes this
by mich
mich
Hi N1KKO

Just saw this on FB Marketplace.

I wouldn't mind getting the Colt but don't have the room at present.

mich
1 member likes this
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019