Hi N1KK0 and MM,

There are so many variables here ,different types of motors and storage temperatures ,also advantages and disadvantages
of running dry or leaving fuel in the carby and tank.

Any motor I store for a long time without running I put some oil down the plug hole and turn the motor over ,if it's
a single cylinder 4 stroke then leave the motor on the compression stroke so the valves are closed, if I don't the engine
components will rust and seize.Another thing is to drain the tank and I use a little oil in the bottom of the tank.

If you do run a motor dry by turning the fuel tap off or by opening the bowl and letting the fuel out, you run the risk of drying out the gaskets, the rubber needle valve seat on some carbs, and diaphragms on other carbs,O rings ,fuel pump, then when you put fuel in you get leaking fuel.

Some outdoor equipment manufactures say not to run a 2 stroke dry as it promotes wear internally and any moisture will
start rusting internal components.

Honda recommends using a fuel stabilizer in the fuel and that will keep the fuel good for 12 months.

I've known people with old cars in damp paddocks and they run the car on 2 stroke fuel before turning the engine off
this lubricates the cylinders , valves and carby to stop parts rusting.

My old rotary valve pope starts easier when I run the carby dry if I don't start the engine for months at a time ,because
the fresh fuel doesn't have to mix with old left over fuel or oil residue, but every time I put new fuel in the dry fuel tank
the cork on the fuel tap has dried out and fuel leaks out of the fuel tap until the cork swells and stops the leak.

When I have a 4 stroke or 2 stroke and leave a little 2 stroke in the carby and tank ,then after months of storage ( even 12 months)
I top up with fresh fuel and if the engine doesn't start instantly I just spray a little fuel into the carby after removing the air filter
and the motor runs without a problem.

I've also heard of people that put 8 cc of outboard marine 2 stroke oil in 60 litres of fuel to use in a side valve 4 stroke
as they say without the 2 stroke they had valve sticking problems and never had a problem again using the 2 stroke mix.

It's up to the owner how they look after their engines depending on the type of motor and conditions in storage.

With a line trimmer you're not meant to leave it on concrete overnight otherwise moisture can get into the fuel tank.

Cheers
Max.