HI MM , Norm and MF,

MM if you don't like the 2 ears on the boss just get a cutting disc and cut them off but cut both sides even, so the hub is still
balanced and put a wet rag around the crank where the oil seal is so you don't melt the seal with sparks and excessive heat.

I've cut them off before but removed the boss to do so but you could cut the boss on the mower if you're careful.

You'd still want to tighten the crank nut up tight so the friction connection doesn't slip.

Norm ,if a hub is rusted on solid it just takes more force to try and move it free and this is how you can damage parts but
if you apply a fair amount of force to the boss and then shock the rusted connection loose it will come loose 99 percent of the time.

The same sort of principle is used at mower shops to remove rusted on ride on mower back wheels but they use an air hammer
to hit the centre of the axle.

If you have an old briggs that you are throwing out that the boss won't come off ,I don't even need to use a puller ,if I hit the
boss in 3 spots it will always come off, because of the shocking of the rusted connection it takes less force to remove.

I bought an Ingersoll rand rattle gun over 20 years ago , it was only around $50 new ,never had a problem with it.
I've also sold a fair few 2 Hp good air compressors for $15. each and thrown out at least 10 that could have easily
been repaired, just because I had too many.

Cheers
Max.