Home
Posted By: bob harwood commando timing - 12/03/12 07:27 AM
G'day all,
can anyone give me (in laymens terms) the procedure for getting timing setup on these models please.?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: commando timing - 12/03/12 08:28 AM
On a 2 stroke victa commando the timing is fixed and not adjustable, it is programmed by the little electronic module underneath the carburettor. cheers
Posted By: thechemist Re: commando timing - 12/03/12 09:45 AM
G'day i agree the timing is fixed but if everything has been pulled apart, then only real thing to adjust to do with the ignition is the coil to flywheel "air" gap. I think its about the thickness of a business card. Just push the card in between the coil and flywheel with the bolt loose and push the coil up tight againts the card/flywheel then tighten the bolt and remove the card. This air gap would give maximum voltage therefore stronger spark.

Only other things to check would be to check all the wires are connected and the little square box electronic ignition module is grounded well to the frame. (it should ground good enough with the screw/nut &bolt that holds it to the frame)
hope this helps
Posted By: Mr Davis Re: commando timing - 12/03/12 12:40 PM
The Business card trick works a treat, however, if you want to get the air gap set to the spec i think it's written on the flywheel, though if it is not, I should have it here somewhere.

Remember to make sure you check the gap specifically between the Core plate and the Large magnet.
Posted By: bob harwood Re: commando timing - 12/03/12 03:20 PM
thanx heaps guys.will try that afta work tomorrow.
cheers good1
Posted By: Bruce Re: commando timing - 12/03/12 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by bob harwood
thanx heaps guys.will try that afta work tomorrow.
cheers good1

A couple of things that will affect the timing are the following:

1. A crack in the flywheel(where it slides onto the crankshaft).

2. No blade plate attached when testing the engine.

3. Loose blade plate when testing.

4. Bad earth if attached to the engine with a pop rivet.

You just need to check these as well. cheers2
© OutdoorKing Repair Forum