Home
Posted By: Return Rider G4 Carby????? Advice please :-) - 16/04/24 01:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been mucking around with a few mowers I bought of Marketplace for 20 bucks each. Got them running and one is now my daily... but, I've got a Victa Corvette (see photos) and the carby seems incomplete. It runs now I've taken it off and cleaned it, put a new spark plug in, all but my questions are:

Should this model Carb have a white "idle screw" in the back??? (see back cover pic below).
It also doesn't have the big silver disk on top of the diaphram - should it have this???

It starts first pull and runs like a champ but the idle is very fast (I'm thinking the lack of idle screw is why)???

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached picture PXL_20240416_012840848.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20240415_224330669.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20240416_004511636.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20240416_012851784.jpg
Posted By: Dandare Re: G4 Carby????? Advice please :-) - 16/04/24 03:43 AM
I put a carbie back together and left out that diaphragm locking plate (if that's what you mean).It idled to the point of self destruction!

Danny
Posted By: Return Rider Re: G4 Carby????? Advice please :-) - 16/04/24 04:39 AM
Hi Danny, yeah, I think that's what it is. Silver plate. It doesn't idle really quickly, its a little fast perhaps but nothing like you've described above. It wasn't actually there when I pulled the carby apart and I don't have one laying around so put it back together without one.
Posted By: NormK Re: G4 Carby????? Advice please :-) - 16/04/24 05:08 AM
Danny,
what self destructed? These carbys can be modified to work perfectly but it is quite a bit of work then you can adjust the idle to work perfectly.Victa could have made them this way but they cheaped out and caused thousands of owners to have problematic carbies
Posted By: Dandare Re: G4 Carby????? Advice please :-) - 16/04/24 05:54 AM
I may have exaggerated a tad Norm.

Danny
Posted By: NormK Re: G4 Carby????? Advice please :-) - 16/04/24 06:08 AM
OK I was just wondering how long it took to self destruct
Posted By: maxwestern Re: G4 Carby????? Advice please :-) - 20/04/24 12:15 AM
Hi Return Rider,

Yes the back diaphragm plastic cover is missing the white idle screw but you can put a later cover on without the idle screw.

The silver disk on the diaphragm locks the diaphragm to the poppet valve so it should have this or some sort of clip.

The idle screw won't slow the idle if it's missing and it's running too fast ,if the motor is in good mechanical condition
then it may just be the carby parts have worn and to fix this you add a brass washer to hold the poppet valve in a
more closed direction to bring the idle down.

Cheers
Max.

Attached picture -victa_g4 1c.jpg
Attached picture victa brass G4 washer for sale 1.jpg
© OutdoorKing Repair Forum